Loch Help please, something just north of the border.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

I have managed to get a weekend pass for the end of the month and its been a lifetime since i wet a paddle.
I will only be heading out friday and satruday night so i dont fancy heading up too far north and spending most of the time in the car rather than the canoe.

Can anyone recommend a nice loch with some islands to hop, fish, bow and hammock?

Leon.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks good, any ideas where to park safely and put in? and where the quiter areas/islands are?

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
use the Galloway outdoor centre, pay £5 and you can keep your car safely there all weekend and the islands are only about 15 minutes paddle away, also you will have use of their campsite if you want to use it for the £5 fee already paid as well as toilets and showers etc... i was paddling there about 4 weeks ago and there were a few guys out fishing in their boats....

Colin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trying to get their website to come up Colin, but having no joy. Gavin's heading down there this afternoon for a few days camping/walking and this site sounds ideal as a base.

Any suggestions for active links ?

cheers,
Mary

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Loch Ken does look nice but it also looks very busy. Does anyone know of any more "out the way" lochs?

Loch trool at a quick google?

Last edited:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Just had a fantastic weekend at Loch Trool. Dunno about islands, but was a good loch to paddle, so i'm told. Gaz caught a nice pack and there's plenty of room to hammock. Scenery is stunning

Dave

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just had a fantastic weekend at Loch Trool. Dunno about islands, but was a good loch to paddle, so i'm told. Gaz caught a nice pack and there's plenty of room to hammock. Scenery is stunning

Dave

Plenty of hammocking space? and any ideas about a put in spot? Thanks.

uncleboo

Jul 30, 2008
Lanarkshire
Loch Trool has a few islands but I think the fishing is privately owned. Why not paddle loch Trool then take a march up the Merrick and fish Loch Enoch that has a wee island with a loch on it as well!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Loch Trool has a few islands but I think the fishing is privately owned. Why not paddle loch Trool then take a march up the Merrick and fish Loch Enoch that has a wee island with a loch on it as well!!

No permit needed.
Apparently there's a dispute as to ownership,so nothing to stop you at this moment.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No permit needed.
Apparently there's a dispute as to ownership,so nothing to stop you at this moment.

I have been searching for information on this but it seems to be the estate that owns the rights. Is there an "official" directory of who owns the rights to where?

Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE