Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Yep - good to see some rain. I was out in the woods for the day on Monday expecting only a shower or two. After a couple of hours wandering I put up the tarp to cook lunch and stayed under there for nearly two hours while it rained constantly. Mind you it did make gathering the tinder and wood for the stove a bit more challenging! It continued to rain umtil I got home in the early evening.

I was surprised to notice more Green Woodpeckers than I normally see. Not knowing too much about birds I noted that many of them rose from the ground when disturbed rather than from bushes or trees as I would have expected. Anyone know the reason for this?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I only found out recently they feed on the ground too, I've seen a few too, perhaps it's been a good year for them?

in my area though I tend to see loads of jays and magpies, I saw a "flock?" recently at least 10 in the group! Also saw a field with 4 adult herons, I can't think that's normal!:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
A 'band' of jays and 'a tidings' of magpies.:)

Whats the collective noun for a bunch of bushcrafters i wonder??

a " Mears", a"Whittle", a"Forage"? :rolleyes:

I'm going to have a Hernia op soon,(had the health check today) so I'm getting a few "Bushcrafty" projects to do whilst I'm resting. should mean in the near future I'll be fitter to do walks etc.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
a big "Get well soon" to Damascus!
He's also unwell at the moment.

Heard on gardeners world you can eat "guelder rose" berries, not heard this before, not just gardening info!

must almost be time for chestnut collecting! My daughter found a big fat chestnut yesterday in a play park, which is weird because there are no sweet chestnut trees for a mile or so!
Amazing what kids find!:rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Took my broken "full sus" alloy Mountain bike to dealer as a weld went on it they are getting me a new "Hardtail" frame(cause the full-sus frame was too old and not exchangable), I'm happy though:D
Hopefully be back to me v soon for me to get fit on:D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Oh dear, it seems my friendly Mountain bike chat is worth 4 days silence.
and no one else has been here in the last 6 days!

as I said before communication is the key to the group!

If no one bothers, nothing happens!...again!:(

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
wow a 3 minute response?

I've gave up on sulking, a long time ago!:(

I really want to meet but I'm not going to be able to till a fewweeks after my op (till i can drive again),
and I really want to visit your site! keep it warm for me!;)

used alice alot! decent gear!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Its cool...it aint going away anytime soon:D Hope you have a speedy recovery Rich
The alice kit is very shiney!Was there a butt pack with them like the m56 webbing?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Aparently I have to "walk" before i leave the hospital....an hour or so after the op! ouch!

so who owns the land you are talking about?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
butt packs were always on issue since the canvas stuff but i think the rucksack was used in preference.

there are about 5or 6 versions around!

I had an ALICE (nylon) butpack which worked the same as the canvas but had a couple of velcro patches so you could wear it on the shoulders!
you can see the same velcro straps on the back of the sleeping gear straps (it's the thing that looks like a poncho roll).

my (now swapped) ALICE gear note the buttpack (top)
sleeping gear straps (right)
2 types of yoke ALICE (left) and
MLCE (Modernised Load Carrying Equipment) yoke (right) (for-runner to ALICE)
ALICEparts.jpg
[/IMG]

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Oh I should mention i added the black fastex (Q/R)clips/straps (they were experimental ideas) .
here's the contents!
Alicegear.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE