Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:D :D Good stuff!I bet you wish you still had it?
yeah, sort of.. I love the way you can swap it around and clip it on/off! I still have 2 ALICE pouches, and another a similar set gathering dust in the garage (Arktis),
get a belt comfort type thingy, I made one (the brown thing).

Never heard of the improved type...
Niether had I, You don't see it about, only the canvas or ALICE in the films(MLCE was introduced late in the Vietnam war because the canvas stuff kept rotting MLCE did have some problems though mainly with carrying rucksacks because of the shoulder clips.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernized_Load-Carrying_Equipment

It's worth your while getting a book I have FM 21-15 "care and use of individual clothing and equipment"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Individual-Clothing-Equipment-21-15/dp/B001E4XVFW
(US army issue) its the ALICE bible, everything about it (and the packs) how to put it together, mend, clean, adjust etc etc also shows the three versions and how they are compatible..yup!
It's dated, but very useful!

Just got to find an alice pack now.
Norwich Hoopers surplus has a pile of them! Medium and Large and frames!

;) enjoy!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Hi Guys, Sorry not been chatty, I had a couple of busy weeks with the wife not being well. The housework was heavy. I am trying to get out with my new Bergan and enjoy some woods. I did go out to Ludham marshes yesterday and used the crusader kit for a brew it was very windy but I found shelter next to a pumping station.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes: the "Op" is this Thursday!
(I'm actually really looking forward to it!)(probably feel different afterwards)
thanks for the well wishing!:beerchug:

What sort of price are Hoopers charging for the alice packs?Both medium&large?Condition?
Well for you and any of the Norfolk and Norwich guy's that want to buy at "HOOPERS SURPLUS"
You have to be careful! always seek the boss for a decent deal.
I managed to get 2 used medium sacks £10 each from "Steve" the boss (big bloke with hair!).Say you know me"Richard" and "I sent you" and he may knock off a few quid (neither of the other bald guy's will).
(I know steve because I used to work in Blacks & Outdoors and we'd send customers to each other)

Big tip! Ignore anything the short fat bald bloke says, he will make you feel unwelcome and will not offer much useful information. I must have been there a couple of hundred times he's never recognised me (Globetrotter has noticed the same!).
I tried to get a "used Large pack" from him and he quoted me £60 just for the sack! :eek:
He will probably say they don't have any, but they do (in a stack back right hand of room upstairs), you will be told not to look by the bald fat guy, ignore him (you are a customer) the others will let you rummage as long as you tidy, I do every time I go!;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Globetrotter,
Hi Guys, Sorry not been chatty, I had a couple of busy weeks with the wife not being well. The housework was heavy. I am trying to get out with my new Bergan and enjoy some woods. I did go out to Ludham marshes yesterday and used the crusader kit for a brew it was very windy but I found shelter next to a pumping station.
Ludham martshes? sounds nice, did you walk far?
Is the situation getting any better?
you know you can come round for a cuppa anytime mate!

BorderReiver
Just got back from a week in the Lake District, it was DRY and SUNNY. In May it was wet and cold.
I spent a very cold and wet winter around the lakes a few years back on my ML course!:yuck:
You lucky ********!
we camped out on "old man of conniston" in driving sleet, loads of icy cold peak bagging around hellvelen and always map work in rain or fog! (apologies for bad spelling). never a dry pair of socks!:(
taken near helvellen the "Peak Bagging expedition", nice day but freezing and I had flu!
n675721040_75786_8894.jpg

DavidJT
Hi all
Hope the op went ok Rich. I'm still on crutches (another 4 weeks at least) so not being doing much outdoors stuff.
Going to my field archery club tomrrow though.
Cheers
4 weeks left, not long mate!;) I'll be fit around the same time, found out though that I won't be allowed to drive for 3 weeks!!!:eek: something to do with the "Emergency stop" and the muscles/tendons that are used when braking hard! ...very :bluThinki annoying!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The Ludham walk was a short one about 2 miles but it is possible to have walked onto Potter Heigham. Got a busy few days but will pop around after your op for that cuppa, give M a break.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The Ludham walk was a short one about 2 miles but it is possible to have walked onto Potter Heigham. Got a busy few days but will pop around after your op for that cuppa, give M a break.
M will be fine, how is P? any better?
I'm guessing I'll be quite mobile. but I have some sewing projects and books lined up just in case! Had to phone the Bike company again as they've run out of my particular frame, they've found a different one in the US they are getting shipped over! :cool:
shame i won't be able to ride it:nutkick:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
There's a few of us up your way I'm sure would be happy to meet you!

Welcome to the group!:)
please feel free to join in!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
well, today I climded into my loft which isn't easy, we live in a bungalow with a very shallow angled roof its about 2ft high so crawling space only!(not even hands and knees) to find why our bedroom is cold I've never gone in that far but i crawled the 20ft to find absolutely no loft insulation above our room!:rant:
I looked further and noticed the people that own the house had insulated the "Visible" areas, leaving most of the bedrooms uncovered, literally folding the insulation so you can't see past it to see the bare areas ....:tapedshut
I got some and managed to fill all the gaps with an extendable pole from work.
I explored a bit more and noticed there appears to be none over the front of the house!
Looks like I'll have to go-a-crawling again once I'm fit enough!

Landlords are just pigs aren't they!:aargh4:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
What fun that must have been, Just imagining you getting stuck up there.
:lmao:I think If I had, they'd have to take the roof off!

well big day tomorrow, I have loads of "projects" lined up for when I'm resting.
please forgive me If I'm not online for the next few days.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Richard - Well the days arrived and we are all thinking about you today, hope the Operation goes well and you soon are walking about and out again. No more chatting up the nurses either.

funny-17.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I'm back from the land of nod as the Anaethetist said to me!

Richard - Well the days arrived and we are all thinking about you today, hope the Operation goes well and you soon are walking about and out again. No more chatting up the nurses either.
no mate:rolleyes:, mostly foreign and very hairy:eek: male doctors!:lmao:

Well that was pretty easy, far less painful than I thought it would be in, had the op around 3pm yesterday, home by 7pm, the local anaesthetic in my leg lasted until lunchtime today
I've been up and about and not really thought about it much. It's not much worse than indigestion.

So anyone else due to have a Hernia op, don't worry!:) they have some GOOOOD drugs at the hospital!:240:

I thought you was going to say you'd found a long forgotten webbing kit!:D
:lmao:I wish,
What sort of projects have you got lined up?
loads of Bushcrafty books to read!
Lots of kit mending !:eek:
Also some webbing pouch adaption, (making better straps for my 44" pattern water bottle pouches).
I may try to make a 58" style poncho roll but a far more compact version.
turning a British army insulated Jacket from a "zip front jacket" into a pullover.
I'll think of some more projects but they'll keep me busy for a week or two!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE