Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I can hire one from brundall or even norwich, but I thoughts I just see if I could borrow one cheaper. As for outboard test! I can hire an outboard fishing boat withut any test etc, the hire firms have their licenses too.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:)
phew that's good! the red tape hasn't caught up yet!:nana:

I seem to remember when I did my Canoe/Kayak courses a few years ago it all we seemed to be wading through legislation, though that must have been because were doing legal stuff about teaching.

Rather than a row boat have you considered an open canoe? much faster/lighter! and you can carry them over obstacles (portage)if you need to.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
well i went out for a short time today, and tried out some new bungee cleats (basically two trees will never be too far apart again!) i have 1.5 m adjustable bungees on each corner.
I think when you see them you may want them!;)

also noticed that Mint is growing well!

be aware horses may be a tad more aggressive this time of year if they have young!

after some near misses (public wise) I'm going to do a blog for BCUK about "stealth camping" for the newbies!:rolleyes:

well i went out for a short time today, and tried out some new bungee cleats (basically two trees will never be too far apart again!) i have 1.5 m adjustable bungees on each corner.
I think when you see them you may want them!;)

also noticed that Mint is growing well!

be aware horses may be a tad more aggressive this time of year if they have young!

after some near misses (public wise) I'm going to do a blog for BCUK about "stealth camping" for the newbies!:rolleyes:

Sounds good please post a link to the guide.
I'm using the cord that came with my ipk for the new hammock is this a good or a bad idea?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Sounds good please post a link to the guide.
yeah, of course when it's done.

I'm using the cord that came with my ipk for the new hammock is this a good or a bad idea?
for what part?:eek:
the cord from an IPK is strong enough to bear weight(it's what the IPK was designed for), but they designed to bear weight under particular circumstances. and it's not as strong as genuine "Para" or "550" cord (used on parachutes).

I would urge great caution!:dunno:

yeah, of course when it's done.

for what part?:eek:
the cord from an IPK is strong enough to bear weight(it's what the IPK was designed for), but they designed to bear weight under particular circumstances. and it's not as strong as genuine "Para" or "550" cord (used on parachutes).

I would urge great caution!:dunno:

Well my new hammock didn't come with rope so am using ipk cord to improvise on the bit between the end of a hammock to the tree if its not gonna work what rope or cord should I get?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
In a word NO! Not a good idea Kai - Even paracord aint a good idea in that location. See without going into the mathaticals of it (better people than I have on other threads) the loadings are considerably increased by the angles involved (...or something like that)

An 8-10mm Dia cord/rope would be the least I'd use. Also in the interests of the tree - get hold of, or make a set of tree slings - 2 lengths of 50mm wide webbing with a loop securly sewn onto each end and an appropriate length for the size of tree you will be most often hanging from...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:) well said T1tch! I've managed to break Hammock fixtures, just by sitting on it, just me, "little me":eek:

Alternatively you could use webbing straps(tape), My army issue hammock uses (4x) 1" tapes each of which are about 6ft long and are easy to tie, you'd just need a whole load of it!
like this:
1228_Hammock.jpg

there was a thread years ago about making hammocks cheaply which included webbing/tapes, and a big sheet of folded polyester!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi

Go to the range in Norwich they are selling 50mtr lenths of rope for a fiver which is suitable for a hammock, if you go down the climbing rope path it will cost you alot of money which in this case is unneccessary:eek: :eek: .
Hope its of some help:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Cool well I have some proper rope I'm gonna use that its used for climbing I guess it will do

:eek:
as Damascus mentioned Climbing rope is not quite the same stuff!

One main problem using climbing rope for anything "structural" is that Climbing rope stretches! (so you could find that your meter high hammock is touching the floor in the middle of the night).

it's a safety thing so if you fall it soaks up some of the energy. plus once you've used it for a hammock you've put unusual stresses on it which could cause it to age quickly. Nowerdays for you're own safety you're supposed to keep a diary of every fall on a rope, when it's washed etc (especially if you want to lend or sell it) .

3 more reasons not to use climbing rope, it's quite heavy, when it gets wet it can take days to dry!
and tree sap can damage it!

If I were you I'd keep the two separate! seriously mate don't mix climbing rope with other activities. unless of course you're using your hammock at night during a huge wall climb!;)
scan0141.jpg

you don't want to know how they pee!:lmao:

just thinking we've not really met up in the west of the region.
how about it?

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Just got back from the game and country show. Watched some stick making, sheep dancing and falconary. Brought a new blade and sharpener too.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I went to the game show too!Wish i hadnt of found the knife making guy:rolleyes: :D
Did you visit the Tamarack stall?

Good to see a nice selection of sharp stuff!And more jack pyke than you could shake a stick at:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I went to the show last year, pretty good, but not if you have young kids with you(as we found out).
there was a lot of craft type stuff, people making things and lots of knife sellers.
and 2 million stalls selling Aussie hats! (can't complain though I got mine there).

any suggestions as to meeting areas? i don't really know the nice area's around there.:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D ah, yes!
I've been just on the edge of those woods environmental studies (or similar) when I did my outdoor sports college course at Kings Lynn. It's also not far from the lake we used (for sailing canoes Kayak etc.)at Leziate.

If we meet there I might be able to sneak away from a family visit :naughty: :27: (they live about 20 miles south west).

sounds like a meet to me!:)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Went today had a good old walk around tooooooo much stuff not enough money!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought a new little knife sharpener and squirrel trap, Grey tuffty tail your days are numbered, the days of peanut theft grow short.:AR15firin :AR15firin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE