Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Fit eh? That's something I aint been in 20 years :p

OK I'll try to get there for 10... on the off chance I'm not there by the time you all want to move out, I've pm'd you my mobile no - it'd be a shame if I was just round the corner and missed you by five minutes...

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Rich, I can guess which film you watched the other Sunday:D .
"I got vision and the rest of the world's wearing bifocals"

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
"I got vision and the rest of the world's wearing bifocals"
:rolleyes: hmm yes..

thanks for a great day Guy's! I learned so much today:You_Rock_

titch showing us a tricky knot
Norfolk&

shelters001.jpg

The group photo! surprising enough a huge 20 ft high coloured parachute didn't raise any negative public issues.(though one bloke thought i was a UFO.
(It seems the parachute serves a similar purpose as a Hi viz vest!:lmao: )
shelters003.jpg

we did loads of fire stuff, including Fire piston and chemical, feather sticks, and even magnesium.

I found a few bushcraft Nibbles and we considered some grub tasting till we saw the black stuff in them!:yuck:

Well Kai Leingod, is still buying stuff :rolleyes: he'll have more than me soon!
shelters006.jpg

I like the hammock set up!!

big thanks for the lift t1tch!:D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek:
by the way anyone know where i could get hold of a block of perspex to make a fire piston from?:confused:
I've just looked at fire pistons and how much they are and also quite alot seem to be sold in kit form seems sensible to have a go at making one, and i like the perspex idea so you can see it working!;)

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
It was great to meet you all - thanks for the pointers on the fire bow, now all I need to do is practice... alot...

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
by the way anyone know where i could get hold of a block of perspex to make a fire piston from?
I've just looked at fire pistons and how much they are and also quite alot seem to be sold in kit form seems sensible to have a go at making one, and i like the perspex idea so you can see it working!

Ahhaa! Another converted to the dark side - :borgsmile the fire piston will prevail :borgsmile

Prating about aside, for demo's may I make the suggestion you scale things up a little? True the larger the diameter of the cylinder, the harder you have to push to compress the air to the point of combustion, but the increased wow factor may lend itself to larger audiences? Have a look at this page - there's a vid part way down illustrating what I mean.

...I had another link to a vid of a hand sized polycarbonate piston being used but I've mislaid it, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it was no-ware near as impressive...

Should be easier to find a poly pipe than machining out a block as well... a quick google found this site, they have clear tube but only have 'non optical' rod.

Just a quick safety note - plastic fire pistons have been known to 'fail' during use - the recommendation is to wrap them in clear packing tape to help negate the risk of shrapnel :eek:

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
here's a link to a vid of tying that tricky knot that I was showing you.

Also on youtube I stumbled accross Cobwebs method of tying it, which you might find easier - I asume Cobweb does as I was trying to teach her the other method at last years moot:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Prating about aside, for demo's may I make the suggestion you scale things up a little? True the larger the diameter of the cylinder, the harder you have to push to compress the air to the point of combustion, but the increased wow factor may lend itself to larger audiences?
The vid looks fantastic! :cool: would you see it in bright sunlight though?
definitely something to try! on the small scale first, I never assumed there would be a flash :cool:

Just a quick safety note - plastic fire pistons have been known to 'fail' during use - the recommendation is to wrap them in clear packing tape to help negate the risk of shrapnel :eek:
Ah...that would be quite exciting!:naughty: I'd not even considered that!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Looks like you all had a good time!One day youll have a meet at the weekend:rolleyes:
Rich,you say you are after a block of perspex?I think i may have what you are looking for.Its about 3in long by 1in and a half wide cylinder shape.Any good?you can have it if you want...

Go on.have weekend meet sometime?Im dying to show you all my hand forged firesteels:cool:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Rich,you say you are after a block of perspex?I think i may have what you are looking for.Its about 3in long by 1in and a half wide cylinder shape.Any good?you can have it if you want...

sounds perfect! :cool: do you want a swap? (coke can burner,dried fungi, or hazel drills?)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
sounds perfect! :cool: do you want a swap? (coke can burner,dried fungi, or hazel drills?)

Rich,you can have it.
Im nice like that and i dont want anything for it.
Im pretty good for fungi and hazel:D

I dont know what they were for originally..optical??I can either mail it to you or ill bring it to a meet sometime.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
So which of you are coming to Dunwich on Saturday?

I should be there with my little family.

Oh Globetrotter,

You're Rusty looks a bit sore!:lmao:
(i mean you Saw looks a bit rusty!;) )
it looks (from the small teeth) something for cutting metal, or perhaps bone?
going by the size of the stitching behind it, isn't it tiny???:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE