Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
wen't into the woods today to try my tarp and worked some what ok i need to perfect it.
Managed to get a couple embers on some tinder but nothing more :(

I would like to build my own blow drill what's the best raw materials?

Well Rich is the one to answer this realy, but personally I use any old bit of branch for the bow - so long as it has the right shape.

For the drill and hearth I use Hazel - but I've heard ivy is also good. Basicaly you want them both to be of the same wood so they wear evenly, and to avoid wood with a high resin content e.g. pine.

That's what works for me anyway. (when I get the techneque right)

Cheers

Mark

Well Rich is the one to answer this realy, but personally I use any old bit of branch for the bow - so long as it has the right shape.

For the drill and hearth I use Hazel - but I've heard ivy is also good. Basicaly you want them both to be of the same wood so they wear evenly, and to avoid wood with a high resin content e.g. pine.

That's what works for me anyway. (when I get the techneque right)

Cheers

Mark

nice one mate will start to make my drill. been shopping at hoopers again and got a cool external frame rucksack.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Heads up

Cotswols is selling some gerber tools cheap, I have just bought the small clutch multi tool and the tempo torch together for £15 bargin.:beerchug:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Sorry i was away at inlaws with no internet!:(

T1tch
Not me mate - I'm a fire piston convert, through and through
:cool: Please show us when you can! and where you got your piston.

Storing meths? just keep it in the bottle it comes in for now. I use pretty much any bottle that has a tight seal (no special make or type)

the metal cooker aka "Hexi cooker"is designed to be used with Hexamine, which can be bought from most camping stores, often called cooking tablets(or similar). usually around £2.00, it will coat the bottom of your tins with sticky black tar but it will wash off.
you can use garden BBQ tablets they will work but are less efficient and give off worse smoke and a more dusty coating on your tins.

bow drills and kit?

at the moment for displays I use:
Bow = Ash you could use:Willow /Yew/ Rodahdendran
Cord = Standard cord from boats and bits. you could use:somthing strong but grippy
Drill = Hazel you could use:poplar,
Baseboard = Lime (good cause it lasts longer)you could use:Hazel, Poplar,
Bearing block = Flint with a smooth dip
(you can switch round Hazel/poplar or both the same).
the hand piece/bearing block: a stone, piece of Holly, Oak something that won't burn so well you may have to use a waxy leaf or simular to stop the bearing block burning.

for the "Bird's nest" I use pet animal hay, and the fluffy stuff is rosebay-willowherb(collected by myself.

by the way I was cutting down Poplar yesterday and have a few nice straight bits that will do as basebords when it's dry, which you guy's can have.:D

More talki later.:)

Was in hoopers just picked up an aluminium 0.5 ltr bottle that should do for meths got a couple 1 ltr bottles and a swedish stove set.
Will get a nice camo tarp tomorrow selling the last of my games should get enough to get a bivi bag to I hope.
Looks like I can start booking from april on, for my holidays any dates I need to know before booking?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Sorry i was away at inlaws with no internet!:(

T1tch
:cool: Please show us when you can! and where you got your piston.

My commiserations mate - never a fun activity...

I've made a couple, with brass plungers and and the piston lined with brass capped with epoxy (before fixing it into the body) This method works with any tipe of wood, so is good for this counties timber as most of it is too porus.

My favoite one is a traditional design imported from the US, bought when it was viable to do so (the £ was worth $2.2ish)

I've always got one in my day pack - and I'll try and dig out a couple more to bring along. You'll all be most welcome to have a play when we finally meet :)

Cheers
Mark

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi Guys
Been lurking here a bit and thought I would say hi. HI! ;) I used to live in Naarfolk but now live near Huntingdon, Cambs.

I went to the Moot last year with my son and we enjoyed it immensely. Not done much bushcrafty stuff since though but would certainly like to start again.

I have made some more spoons, lusted at one at the Moot then bought a Gransfors Bruks Sm Forest axe and I even made a pretty good (if I do say so myself!) Hobo stove from some cheepo SS tins from TK Max.

The odd weekend should be good with SWMBO and I have a mate (March boy) that is really keen to have a go. We both have teenage sons (15) that will probably join us also.

Cheers
Craeg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi craeg,
see, I knew you guy's were out there!;)

I was a bit worried thinking Huntingdon was too far for you guy's but I just looked on a map and if we were to meet in the west of norfolk near say Kingslynn or Thetford then hopefully it wouldn't be too far for most of us.

I'll send you a PM ASAP,

On another note does anyone know a place i can get hold of aluminium sheeting at a resonable price? I'm planning to make a few Crusader cup lids for people (for probly about £5), but i don't want to buy a sheet from QD 1x2 ft for £20:eek:
Either that or a local supply of cheep old aluminium dinner box trays or(like they used to use for school dinners).
cheers

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Richard
why not get an old microwave and use the panel from that.

Oh, didn't know that!, i guess it depends on what state the microwave is in But, I'll have a look around.

Cheers. :)) just remembered you gave me some a while ago!:You_Rock_)

Hi craeg,
see, I knew you guy's were out there!;)

I was a bit worried thinking Huntingdon was too far for you guy's but I just looked on a map and if we were to meet in the west of norfolk near say Kingslynn or Thetford then hopefully it wouldn't be too far for most of us.

I'll send you a PM ASAP,

On another note does anyone know a place i can get hold of aluminium sheeting at a resonable price? I'm planning to make a few Crusader cup lids for people (for probly about £5), but i don't want to buy a sheet from QD 1x2 ft for £20:eek:
Either that or a local supply of cheep old aluminium dinner box trays or(like they used to use for school dinners).
cheers

I'll have one of those off you'r hands for a £5 (if I think what I think it is is it like one of the stainless steel webtex cook/mugs?)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'll have one of those off you'r hands for a £5 (if I think what I think it is is it like one of the stainless steel webtex cook/mugs?)

Hang on mate, I gotta make em first!:rolleyes:

The lid in question will look similar to the one earlier in this thread, though not identical.
The lid's I've made so far fit the BCB crusader mug,I'll have to check if the Webtex Mug is the same shape/size/metal.

If you can, get a BCB version (the issue mug), It's bound to be better than the Webtex version. I think they go for around £10. (they have "BCB" stamped into the metal).

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
Anyone fancy helping out the Open Canoe Fun Fest for the river stour boating on the 11/12 July. They where asking for help to demo bushcraft skills and I offered to help them out. They are a charitable organisation that do river trips in order to keep the river open for other users. Its fairly local to you guys and would be a chance to get together.

http://www.riverstourboating.org.uk/

Hi Rich

Which scout campsite did you stay at b4? - I'll try and organise a weekend camp there if I can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE