Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got a nice parcel in the post with some gear i thought i would share here

DSCF0379.jpg

now have a small billy can set with webtex mug and a small treckmates hammock i think i have everything now

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Again....really nice Kit!:cool: I'm starting to think you're going to have more "shiney" stuff than me!

Be careful though the condition you are staring to show symptoms of is "Kit fetish"!:lmao: I ,like the Knife! it's pretty well known as a great knife to learn the basics!
and i see you haven't just gone into one shop, it's obvoious you've shopped around for the best you can afford, very sensible! :)

I managed to get time off today and met up with Globetrotter after all! something to do with turfing someones lawn but having to order in turf!:rolleyes:

Hopefully he's going to put up the pics.

He made some quality Char-cloth! at a nice spot in Horsford woods.:)
and i broke off a couple of twigs from a silver birch and guess what! sap started dripping out!
I made a cut in a larger tree and collected around a third of a cup of sap.
It was my first try (I've been lazy;)) it was clear and tasted slightly metallic (that might have been the container), and slightly sweet, a bit like if you'd added a T-spoon of sugar to a pint of water.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Well it was a nice surprize to meet Rich at Horsford, I have made some char cloth for the first time, using my Hobo stove with plenty of Birch bark for fuel. Here's a short video.

that looks awesome wish i could have been there.

I think i do have a kit fetish it all looks so cool i can't help and go a bit mad :)

Annything happening next Monday afternoon? would like to experiment more

on another note how do you get a fire burning when everything is realy damp?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I think i prefer the 3rd picture;)
loose the first 2! I wasn't as grumpy as i look!
Not working and nothing on the callendar for Monday, What are you Up to Globetrotter?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just checked I'm definetely free.

how do you get a fire burning when everything is realy damp?

you will always find dry wood somewhere, like the dead Silver birch trees i showed you, they'ed have dry wood inside.

and remember that fallen silver birch bark i lit a fire on, it shows you how easily it will burn!

as for starting a fire basically you're looking at making the fire efficient, and hot!
(sorry that sound's stupid:11doh:) sorry i mean concentrate your fire on being really hot quickly so use loads of fast but hot burning wood to start it like Birch or pine(that's full of resin). then gradually add slower burning stuff like oak.

Just checked I'm definetely free.

you will always find dry wood somewhere, like the dead Silver birch trees i showed you, they'ed have dry wood inside.

and remember that fallen silver birch bark i lit a fire on, it shows you how easily it will burn!

as for starting a fire basically you're looking at making the fire efficient, and hot!
(sorry that sound's stupid:11doh:) sorry i mean concentrate your fire on being really hot quickly so use loads of fast but hot burning wood to start it like Birch or pine(that's full of resin). then gradually add slower burning stuff like oak.

very true reading on the forum about the Bannock bread and the Damper Bread gonna make sum tomorrow and see what its like

I guess Monday is going to be a good day

Hi everyone
Fairly new to posting on the board (gulity of lurking for too long), but been doing bushcrafty stuff for quite a while.
I would just like to offer all you "locals" an invitation... I am in Suffolk near dunwich Forrest. Recently I took up field archery, and joined Whitefriars Bowmen. The club has a beautiful rolling course set in 50 acres of forrestry commision woodland in dunwich Forrest.
Well to come to the point, the club is holding a "have a go" day on the 18th April, so if any of you haven't tried traditional field archery then please feel free to come along.
PM me for details
Cheers David

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi DavidJT wow what an entrance!

not only are you a local, but offering free field archery too!
(not a bad site either!)

sounds like a Norfolk and Norwich group outing to me, definitely put it in the diary!

I'll send you a PM, ASAP.

Globetrotter, I'm not sure but I think your, pics may have shoved the text over too far, is anyone else having the same problem? can you resize them? cheers.

Anyone else up for a meeting this Monday coming?

that archery offer sounds awesome ill have to try and book it off

had something different happen on my walk home from work a Fox jumped out of a bush and ran straight past me thing is at night they look like Black dogs I'll admit that it was scary (oh well)

any news on where to meet for the meet on monday?

Hi again all,
No big entrance at all! It's just that the archery club is in your area and we're looking for new members, and I thought some of you guys might enjoy it.
There should be a good turn out at the event, so each person may not be able to shoot for that long, but you could combine it with a general bimble in Dunwich Forest, to make a whole day out.
I was in Dunwich today with my four year old son. Put the tarp up and had a brew (I'm indoctrinating him early!)
Cheers David

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hi David and welcome. I'll have to see about the 18th, not sure if I can make it. I've made a few bows and arrows but hardly ever get a chance to shoot them. It would be good to show everyone how tremendously bad I am:) .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Snufkin Here's a bit of backyard archery with my homemade longbow.
:eek: woah watch out for the camera!

I'm seriously impressed with your speed and accuracy!:You_Rock_

can't wait to see the "take down" bow (you showed me) in action!

I used to teach archery many years ago(i wasn't very good) but i can't wait to have a go with real bows!:)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
:eek: woah watch out for the camera!

I'm seriously impressed with your speed and accuracy!:You_Rock_

can't wait to see the "take down" bow (you showed me) in action!

I used to teach archery many years ago(i wasn't very good) but i can't wait to have a go with real bows!:)

I was looking at the take down this evening. The sinew had lifted slightly on one limb (it shrinks as it drys and is prone to doing so). I soaked the area and brushed some more hide glue into it and wrapped it down but it'll be another couple of weeks until it dries sufficiently to do anymore work.
The vid is a few years old when I was shooting a bit more.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Kai Leingod made my first bannock yesterday ballsed it up so ill give it another go today added a bit too much salt :S
bannock is great stuff you can add pretty much what you want too! always tastes better on an open fire ;)

I met My mum at Kelling heath today and found a stash of "Forme formentes"(horse shoe fungi)!! took one, and left the others to grow, It's true it does grow in the south!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE