NOOB ,Pocket knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

germmanmark

Apr 26, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi everyone , noob here ! thought id intro myself here as i am looking for straight forward advise on a £50 budget pocket knife .
Second hand would be fine and i will go look around here for that . but off the top of your individual and collective heads what would you recommend to a crafty fella ! I am looking for a single blade 3-5 " , priority being quality,and FORM over function , to add to my everyday carry collection . for the posh shooting trips ! ;)

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
I'm surprised that no one has answered you as yet.
But possibly as you have asked for quality and form as being major factors it's hard to recommend something for £50.
It's also down to personal taste!
Do you want a folder? If so - a locking or non-locking blade? Want do you visualise using it for? Preparing game or a picnic? Cutting wood?
There's so much choice out there it may help if you can be more specific, then I am sure you will get some recommendations.
Welcome to BCUK!

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
Welcome to BCUK!

I'd recommend anything from Case (heinnies have them. Usual disclaimer etc). They're brilliant quality and very traditional-looking, reminiscent of the type of knife one's grandfather may have carried years ago.

They're pretty pricey but I believe there is a model which is about £50 on the heinnies website. The added bonus is that they're UK legal, but still with large enough blades to manage the majority of tasks you may throw a knife of that type.

Failing that, Spyderco UKPK FRN models are £50ish. Not as traditional looking, and they're like marmite - some love them, others hate them. I've never heard a bad review on their functionality though. UK legal and mine are still in great shape after loads of abuse.

Good luck with the search and let us know what you get in the end!

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Svord Peasant? you might have one problem though...
What to do with the other £35.95 you have left over from the fifty notes?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
compact, robust and versatile. knife blade, saw and awl. basic bushcrafty tool kit.
http://www.heinnie.com/Victorinox-Knives/Sturdy-Pocket-Tools/Victorinox-Farmer-Alox/p-199-914-6889/
the victorinox rescue tool, and the 111mm huntsman are also excellent choices for a crafty folder.

simple single blade lock knife. spyderco's "design in the dark" philosophy ensures that form follows function. VG10 is an excellent steel.
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Dragonfly-II-FRN/p-92-191-6188/

another spyderco, this time a classic design that helped to start the whole genre. (a bit over budget)
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Delica-IV-FRN/p-92-191-2223/

big-**** lock knife by cold steel.
http://www.heinnie.com/Cold-Steel-Knives/Folding-Knives/Clip-Point-Voyager-Large/p-127-974-8163/

cheers, and.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was listening to Tom Sawyer on audiobook & he had a Barlow knife - there's one on that last link - classic & useful

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
im gathering you want to keep this uk legal ? so will have to be non locking and under 3inches, now although you will have a lot of change left out of £50 i carry a opinel #5 or a 6 with the virobloc removed and hide in a altoids tin incase i need to lock my blade, price around £6-8

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
try and find a Taylors Eye Witness Barlow knife 2nd hand - Sheffield at its best and priciest. Or a nice Ablett double bolster twin blade new for under £50. The two bolster senator from A.Wrights & Son or their Spear and Pen are two lovely knives worth coveting for around £50. All quality workers but with a helping of shiney new thing quality to treasure.

Jun 22, 2012
Norfolk
Bought a friction folder from a hand made knife smith.
http://www.ordknives.co.uk/
Less than a 3 inch blade and no lock, the extended tang on the folding blade is held thus stopping the blade snapping shut and as far as i can see totally legal.

Have a look, quite interesting but a little over the £50 mark ..paid maybe £80 but beautifully made.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well i just got given a Gerber Bear Grylls EDC knife for my birthday, the wife said it was less than £10 posted from Ammazon (spelling), i thought it would be total rubbish as i dont like thin blades, the SAK is far to thin for me, but this Gerber is the same shape and size with a thicker blade.

turned out to be a very good knife, very sturdy and easy to use, strong lock back (but not fixed) mechanism. whittled a spoon out of very dry Poplar which is hard as hell, and it made it look easy.

over all well worth a punt, and very impressed for under £10.....:):):):):)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71eDJBRleVL._AA1500_.jpg

Flaxton

Jun 21, 2012
United Kingdom
To reinforce what Greenwood is saying, a knife with a lock is illegal and therefore not suitable for EDC. Having said that maybe local police treat it different in North Yorkshire? I'm from Croydon and here they have even used temporary metal detectors in train stations to screen for knives. All because the local 'yout's' like to stab each other, a lot. I reckon if I had a 'legal' 3 inch non locking blade on me I would have issues if screened, that's inner city for you. Times are changed from when I got a 'boys adventure kit' when I was seven or eight which included water flask, torch, compass, binoculars and a penknife. We were encouraged to get out and about, now I know kids who have to be driven everywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE