no woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jack29g said:
i live in a place with no woods nearby and was wondering whether there was anyone else out there that is in the same situation. It doesn't help only being 13, my parents wouldn't let me go too far anyway. Do you ever sleep out in you back garden to sort of compensate a tiny iny wheany bit??? :?:

There is nothing wrong with a back garden, if I try out something new or some gear i am not sure about I test it near by my house. If something goes wrong I go home and correct the mistake. You can do a hell of a lot great things and tests in your garden mate.

all the best to you
cheers
Abbe

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Yep, I used to camp out in the garden too! I'd say do it as much as possible to show your dad that you are serious about bushcraft, PM a few local members and see if you can arrange a meet up. Not a weekender, maybe just a day so that you and your father can go along and meet them and hopefully get him involved. He'd probably relish the chance to spend some quality time with you. If you are pro-active and arrange something I'm sure he'll go.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Kath's and my kids are about the same age. Like her I put the kids out in the garden, although I use a walky-talky to communicate with them until I go out and join them. They go in a hammock and I go in a different one, last time was a week ago today and they loved it even though it stormed all night. In your garden you can carve, make cordage, fire drill, learn the stars, practice water purification, make fishing hooks etc etc There's loads of stuff for the suburban bushcrafter, you might need to prepare for some of it, collect some wood etc but it will be worth it. Another very useful thing would be to practice basic knots, learn how to sharpen and maintain your knife ....

Anyway, you get the point, we all do stuff in our gardens, no matter what size they are, those that don't have gardens do it in the living room and tidy up afterwards!!

As has been mentioned, the BushMoots would be a great place to come to learn more for both younger bushcrafters and their parents, it's a packed weekend that you can take what you want from, there's no pressure to do everything, you just take what you want and one of the greatest things about it is the people there that are willing to talk to you about any aspect of bushcraft. Everyone learns a great deal and it's an opportunity to learn specifics if you need them. Oh, and they're very cheap :super:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
There are loads of bushcraft skills you can practice in the back garden, cooking over a fire (they call it having a barbque) is one that's popular in the summer. Of course don't know what you've got in the garden and mum might not appreciate you using her prized plants for making shelters but if there are a couple of trees or posts the right distance apart you might invest in one of those pocket hammocks (or put one on birthday / christmas list) and practice putting it up and getting into it.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i would love to come to a meet up. The thing is i don't know how to explain it tomy dad. he probably would say a big no. Because he wouldn't understand and he wouldn't like me going out with people i had only met on the net. How shall i ask him. Of course if ai go he would cme with me but trying to ask is a tricky problem. He would probably have to meet with you lot first to see what you are about. You know how i said prents always looking to protect their child!!! :yikes:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have a similar problem Jack, except I do have woods nearby and I go and explore when I can, that isn't always possible though. I am however, the only one in my family who likes Bushcraft. But, I bugged my dad enough for him to take me on a course and I think he will take me to the Spring Bushmoot aswell as it's not too far. I do sleep out in the garden when I don't have any other outdoors places to, there's no problem with it.

Just keep bugging em until they give in! Hope to see you at a bushmoot!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Why don't you ask him to have a look round the site. or say something like "I want to go and practice my bushcraft skills and meet with likeminded people at a private site, will you take me?? there's going to be other people my age and younger too" Or something like that it usually works for me.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i started asking my family about the moot in wales 29th - 1st it looks like there might be a hint of intrest from them. Doesanyone know how many spaces there are?

W

Walkabout

Ive got a great trick for you jack. Stick a tent in the middle of your dads lawn so it leaves a big dead patch. Then he'll take you out somewhere to camp. It worked for me! :naughty:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have loads of tricks for getting parents to do what you want, but i cant tell you, I am a dad now and my kids might read it! But get yourself a firesteel and let your dad have a go over the barbie, if it becomes a challenge he might get hooked. What you said about your scout group not doing Bushcraft stuff is more down to leaders, some do some dont, it doesnt make them bad leaders it just means they have other skills/interests. If you did nothing but bushcraft you would be looking for the leaders to have a games night! Try introducing some bushcraft skills to your troop yourself, or introduce yuor leaders to the site they may get some inspiration, I know i get ideas from here.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
it's not that bad, we did go on a camp last weekend and made shelter sand slept in them. As for my dad and family there is progress, iasked them about the camp and they seemed pretty up for it although i don't know how my mum and brother will cope, they are a bit more, what shall i say?... homely people :Crazy_071

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The site of the bush moot in wales is huge, space is not realy a problem at the moment.... last year was a great family atmosphere, even for those that were not that interested in bushcraft.... they could just sit around, chat to other families and drink tea around the fire. Its a good community spirit and you really should bring your family along ...... they'll love it :biggthump

Ed

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I was going to say the same thing, when I was around your age, I transfered from a "bad" scout troop to a very "good" one: 4th Gweru (riverside). One of the best moves I ever made. Maybe if you have mates that are into the same thing, maybe you can pressure one of the dads to take you all out camping?

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE