no woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i live in a place with no woods nearby and was wondering whether there was anyone else out there that is in the same situation. It doesn't help only being 13, my parents wouldn't let me go too far anyway. Do you ever sleep out in you back garden to sort of compensate a tiny iny wheany bit??? :?:

jakunen

Native
Whilst I'm just a little bit older than you, I have a similar problem...there are not any local woods I can openly camp in. There's nothing wrong with camping in your garden, kids have been doing for years.

Try to get your dad interested, or find a friend who's dad is also interested so your parents won't mind you going off to the woods for weekend.

Maybe get your dad to come along to one of the BCUK moots, even for a few hours, so we can show him how much fun it is.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
sorry, forgive me but what is a moot? is it a meetup of some sort. My dad does like ray mears a bit and camping but we never actually get to do the stuff we talk about. Lifes unfair! :?:

leon-1

jack29g said:
sorry, forgive me but what is a moot? is it a meetup of some sort. My dad does like ray mears a bit and camping but we never actually get to do the stuff we talk about. Lifes unfair! :?:

You hit the nail on the head with that statement, moot is an old english term for a meeting and keep trying with your dad :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
jack29g said:
Don't hesitate here mate. If he's interested, then get that pack on. :D Of course I can see the problem with no woods nearby... Try to go on a trip with him either a place in UK or a foreign country. We started going 'foreign' (first trip was Denmark) in 2002 when I was 12. :wave:

2 cents.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
does anyone actually know anyone from near me and also the other question, do you sleep in the garden or at least did you when you were a kid? :pack:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do live near woods, but they are 'busy' woods, lots of people, dogs, poachers, lads out for a drink kind of woods and I wouldn't let me sons sleep out in them. So, they slept in the garden, every school holiday chance they got. I felt it gave them breathing room, and if they didn't stay in their s'bags *all* night, well. we were all young once :) Take some binoculars out with you too (no peeking at the neighbours :nono: :) , follow the stars as they travel through a year overhead, watch the change in the plants and the smell of the air, the little noises of the other animals that live nearby, even in our towns, and try to get your mum or dad to go with you to meet up with bcuk in your area (that was a really good idea), you won't always be 13 and that way they'll be happier to let you go off on your own as you become older. What about Scout groups in your area, or Forest folk? The local Countryside Rangers often organise good days too.
Enjoy the wild, :)

Toddy

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i am a scout, but scouts is changing, there is a lot less outdoorsy stuff and a lot more, what can i say stupid stuff. This is the case at my troop anyway. But i think my troop is one in a kind, all the games are rough there always swearing play fights, the lot, is every scout troop like this or is mine as i thought... one of a kind. I wish icould meet up with other people but there are quite a few things in the way, firstly i'm pretty sure theirs no bad people on here but go to a moot with just strangers that are probably mostly adults is a big no no in the imaginary rule book that all parents and teachers have a copy of and secondly actually organising it is a different matter from just talking about it. Sorry for having a bit of a grumble but it seams the whole world is against bushcraft. Not long ago bushcraft wasn't seen as a sort of odd past time/sport.outdoor activity it was LIFE!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, fair points, all of them. Does your dad know about this forum? Maybe *he'd* like to get outdoors a bit more too, and if he did at least read some of the threads and replies, maybe he'd be up for meeting some of the others who live, or go walkabout, nearby.

Toddy

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have to say that i found that the ACF did anything that i wanted to do , but we had a corking CO . I looked at becoming a Cadet instructor , but feel that these type of organisations are suffering politicaly (people dont like to see kids with guns) . I think this is a shame as the softer image does not look as much fun !
But the Cadets may be worth looking into , at least they give you half the kit you'll need .
Good luck in your search
Pumbaa

jakunen

Native
Jack, its a shame you're not part of Womble's troop, they do a LOT of bushcraft and half the stuff you say goes on in your troop would NOT be tolerated in a better troop. As in everything there are good and bad ones. Is there another local troop you could transfer too?

I'm not saying you should get your dad to let you just go off with someone from here, although from all those I've met, you wouldn't be in any danger, but just ask them where they go and get your dad to take you to one of those spots, maybe when one of the guys are there, so that they can get him hooked on bushcraft so he'll want to take you to the woods...

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Sleeping in the garden is fun. My kids have a mobile with them when they're sleeping outside (and ... erm ... so do I actually :oops: :eek:):)

Have fun! :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE