No See Um? Mossy nets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Hey all. Anyone tried making a good mossynet for a hammock themselves? Ive been trying to find a supplier of NoSeeUm mosquito net-material here in Europe but not had any luck so far and the cheap stuff that can be bought in pretty much every fabric-shop here in Sweden is nog good enough. 150-250 holes / cubic inch as to compared to 600+ holes / cubic inch for NoSeeUm.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used this and it works on scottish midges!
If that does not work try very lightwiegth parasilk, almost see-through nad keep it suspended off your skin it work incredibley well. I/ll have an example @ WG.
Neil

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have just (well yesterday) recieved 5 metres of no-see-um netting from Pennine Outdoors - part number - P1H - No-See-Um Netting.

Excellent stuff though at over £5 a metre quite expensive.

Much finer mesh that what Point North sell (hence the price I suppose).

It will be used to make mossie nets for mine and my son's Thai Hammocks (thanks Leon-1 for the eBay tip, good bargain hammocks).

My idea is to cut a piece a little larger than the hammock, sew three edges and add velco fitting to the fourth edge.

Add a couple of loops or rings so I can tie it up to the ridge line and that should be it.

I'll do the first and modify for the second hammock any changes needed.

I may also put hoop tubes on one of them and see if that's a better way of keeping the net off the sleeper.

Rgds

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Well that really depends. If it's normal standard mosquitonet fabric, then you buy that for about £1.5 / meter here in our local fabric shops. If it's high quality (like NoSeeUm) then it would of course be a bargain. But i doubt thats what they sell for those prices :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HuBBa said:
Well that really depends. If it's normal standard mosquitonet fabric, then you buy that for about £1.5 / meter here in our local fabric shops. If it's high quality (like NoSeeUm) then it would of course be a bargain. But i doubt thats what they sell for those prices :)

I suspect that it really depends on what you're going to use it for. The no-see-um stuff I bought is stiff and doesn't drape well. It needs a heavy brim to keep it off the face and is excellent for tents. However, hammocks are a different thing again. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Cheers,
Toddy

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
I suspect i will go with the bog standard cheap stuff actually. Making a similar solution as the eco-system where it just drapes down around the hammock. The NoSeeUm at 5 pounds / meter and then add shipping & handling to Sweden and it will just be too expensive i think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE