(No nails) what SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
hi all im looking for a new SAK but i have very short nails, i did have a victorinox huntsman but i found it hard to open the tools so what would you recommend, are there any other victorinox knifes that would be easier to use.

ive seen this one but i dont think it is legal to carry (take fishing/hunting) am i right
http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?page=182&lang=E

thanks in advance

oh and i only have about £30 to spend

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Generally speaking, you can take any blade hunting and fishing with you, it's just not legal to carry it on the street without a good reason.
You can use a blade for work if it's warranted in your work type but thats about it, religous reasons don't tend to hold up.

For a blade suited to you, I would suggest something like the rescue tool, or more specifically it's wide thumb hole instead of a nail grip, or another folder with a thumb stud, but you said SAK

What exactly do you want the knife for? If it's just cutting bits and pieces then why not get a swiss card? Everything in it is plenty easy to get to.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
There are plenty of SAK that have a thumb hole for opening the blade, but from what I've seen most of them are serratoins although you can get a plain blade with the thumb holes.

It is perfectly legal for carry a non-folder or a locking folder for hunting/fishing. It is only illegal if you are carrying it just for the sake of carrying it, if you have a reason then it's legal.

The hunter has a locking blade and a gutting blade which might be handy for hunting?

Asa.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
thanks for the replies, well now that i now i can carry any knife fishing ive been looking at the victorinox trailmaster with the liner lock, it looks like it will be slightly easier to use due to the shape of the grip, does anyone now if this is right or is it just like the huntsman and are the liner lock vics any good and how do they compare to the other locking vics, the slide button ones

any other suggestions welcome but they must have a wood saw, can opener and bottle opener they are my general requirements

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I have this problem too.

I put the aluminium "striker" from a firesteel on the lanyard.

As an alternative to Victorinox, the Wenger SAK has a metal loop in the blade, like a spyderco. This gives a bit more grip or even allows the insertion of a small stick if the mechanism gets a bit stiff,

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
You need to work in a water treatment plant or try organic gardening with pleanty of manure. Within a couple of weeks you'll stop biting your nails and have a huge range of Swiss army knives to choose from.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
I've got the one handed trekker. This being the civilian model of the German Army knife and new Swiss Army Soldiers knife. The serrated blade isn't everyone's cup of tea but it is a powerful cutting edge. Imagine the blade would be excellent for fishing but no good for skinning if out hunting. Could always pair it up with a cheapo opinel or mora.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I love my One Hand Trekker with the plain edge; I convexed the edge (sandpaper and a hone) and its about perfect; great blade and saw.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
well i bought a trailmaster that should be arriving today some time cant wait to see what its like and regarding the law, you can use a knife with a blade larger than 3" if you are not in a public place like if im fishing or hunting but what if you get stopped by the police on the way back from fishing, what would they do and does that mean you can carry a knife smaller than 3" in a public place,

ive read loads of stuff but some say you can and cannot do certain things so can someone please enlighten me

thanks

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
it was supposed to come yesterday but did not come, hopefully it will be here today and i bought it from heinnie.com, looks like a good site they have loads of stock, has anyone else bought from them and do they have a good reputation

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
If it's just a blade you want you could buy an Opinel and use the knock to open it with no nails required :). I got a number 6 yesterday and took the locking ring off it to make it legal to carry every day. And it's only £7 :)

r.e. law you can more or less carry any knife (appart from flick knifes, butterfly knifes, gravity knifes etc.) as long as you have a reason for doing so. But you are allowed to carry a less than 3 inch blade (7.62mm) that folds and doesn't lock with no need for a reasonable excuse. If you are using it in an offensive manner then it's illegal. But you could also use a pencil in an offensive manner.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
well i bought a trailmaster that should be arriving today some time cant wait to see what its like and regarding the law, you can use a knife with a blade larger than 3" if you are not in a public place like if im fishing or hunting but what if you get stopped by the police on the way back from fishing, what would they do and does that mean you can carry a knife smaller than 3" in a public place,

ive read loads of stuff but some say you can and cannot do certain things so can someone please enlighten me

thanks

Right here's a brief explanation:

To be able to carry a knife every day for no reason at all it must have a blade length of 3" or less and must be NON-locking.

For all blades either over 3" or locking you MUST be carrying it for a reason (hunting, fishing, bushcraft, work, traditional dress etc.) if you are on your way to or coming back from said reasons (on way back from a fishing trip) then it is still legal.

That is pretty much all you need to know.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
thanks guys thats cleared it up, i was beginning to think id made a mistake getting the trailmaster because it has a locking blade that is longer than 3" i was thinking i would be better off with just a standard none locking victorinox but now i think off it the only time i will be carrying a knife is when i have an actual reason for it so the trailmaster will be fine.

i still haven't received it though, hopefully it will be waiting for me when i get home

thanks guys

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Right here's a brief explanation:

To be able to carry a knife every day for no reason at all it must have a blade length of 3" or less and must be NON-locking.

For all blades either over 3" or locking you MUST be carrying it for a reason (hunting, fishing, bushcraft, work, traditional dress etc.) if you are on your way to or coming back from said reasons (on way back from a fishing trip) then it is still legal.

That is pretty much all you need to know.

Yes but... there's always the but in law isn't there
The other law that confuses things is the offensive weapons act. so if you have an otherwise OK (sub 3" slip joint) knife in certain places it may be illegal under that act rather than the knife law (sorry I forget the name of these laws). A pub, football match and other gatherings where it can be used as a weapon rather than a tool basically.
I know it's all strange but there you go.
Basically just becasue it's sub 3" doesn't allways mean it's OK, it depends on the situation - and that's the problem, every situation is different so no black and white answer can be given really.
Beware.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE