No interest in trapping or hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Is there anybody else like me that ain't really interested in learning to trap or hunt ? It's not because of any fluffy reason either, I'm a full on carnivore but have no interest in learning how to trap animals unless I really have to. Yeah, you maybe be saying that you never know when you may have to, but actually I can safely say that I can never see myself in a situation where I would need to hunt and trap. I do my bushcrafting in the UK and am never away long enough not to be able to carry all of my food with me.
The reason I've mentioned this is that I'm looking at going on a few courses and am looking for someone that doesn't have some form of trapping in their course.
I suppose that im more into bushcraft than survival as I'm never going to be in a survival situation.

Here here! Load of Rambo nonsense!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hence all the stories (true stories) about survivors resorting to cannabalism in the lifeboats.

..............how many started out veggie though ? damned few I'd bet, and there are comparatively few stories, that's why it still has a shock value.

In a lifeboat it's not the food that's the issue, it's fresh water.

No, I don't eat fish either, nor milk and I'm not fond of soy milk much tbh. I do like almond milk (and it's now available in cartons :D)
Soya is a bean, rice is a grain, both provide partial protein, but if you mix your diet, nuts, grains, pulses, then it will be more than adequate to give all the necessary protein.
The only thing that vegans cannot obtain from such a diet is easily acquired from yeast products.
No dead (or live :rolleyes:) animal, fish, fowl, reptile or insect, or their eggs or milk, need be consumed for healthy life.
Foraging, or hunting, needs more space per person that we have available. Farming however, feeds us all, some of us to excess :eek: Whether that farming is mixed or arable is up to the market that drives it. Those south American soya beans feed more people than the cattle that were latterly the reason for the felling of the jungle....well, unless one counts MickeyD's heart attack on a bun type dinners :rolleyes:
Diet for a small planet is a good read.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..............how many started out veggie though ? damned few I'd bet, and there are comparatively few stories, that's why it still has a shock value.

In a lifeboat it's not the food that's the issue, it's fresh water...

Granted on the freshwater issue. However if one peruses the logs from vessels of the latter half of the 19th century (particularly the whaling vessels in the Pacific) there are surprisingly quite a few instances; to the point where it had lost it's shock value.

Again granted not many vegetarians there to begin with. In fact lack of fresh produce (or ANY produce for that matter) was a severe dietary problem at sea in that era.

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Shelter building
firelighting
fire management
cooking with an open fire
water purification
foraging
animal tracking
Axe and knife use
plant and tree identification
leaving no trace

These would be the ones I'd want

Looks like an interesting course there Paul let me know where and when and I may be interested in joining you

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I freely admit I know virtually nothing of the whaling in the Pacific at that time.
Though one would think that the crew of a whaling vessel would be fine; some of the Inuit manage on a purely sea mammal diet for much of the time......or did the revulsion for eating guts put the sailors health at risk ?

Let's be honest though, cannibalism is not a long term survival food acquistion strategy for a healthy population. Societies where it was a prevalent 'custom' used it as either respect for an individual too good to rot in the cold ground, or ritual consumption of the defeated. Did any farm humans for sustenance ? I don't think so, though there are plenty of missionary reports of people enjoying the taste of longpig.
Sawny Bean was Scotland's most infamous cannibal, but he's a lang time deid :D

cheers,
M

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Maybe i need to make my original post a little clearer. I am an out and out carnivore, i love to eat meat. I am not averse to killing animals at all. In the past ive killed and gutted small animals and have no problem getting my hands dirty.
My issue is that unless you need that skill set then there's no need for it. I can only think of one reason where it is needed and that is on military combat survival courses. Lets face ti, there is no where in this country that your gonna get that far away from civilisation that you will need to hunt or trap for survival. At the worst, no matter where you are, you are never more than a day or 2s walk from habitation, even in the wilds of Knoydart.
I understand that different people want to learn different things, but does that mean just because you want to learn something that, lets be honest, is hardly gonna get used, something has to die for.
If i know im going into a remote, hostile environment and may need these skills, then i will kill as many animals as is needed to learn prior to going. As i know im never gonna be in that situation then i do not want to learn about trapping and hunting. I just think its not needed in this country.

Of course you maybe be saying, we all do things that aren't necessary. Shelter building aint necessary, i can take a tent, but something doesnt have to die for me to build a shelter

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I freely admit I know virtually nothing of the whaling in the Pacific at that time.
Though one would think that the crew of a whaling vessel would be fine; some of the Inuit manage on a purely sea mammal diet for much of the time......or did the revulsion for eating guts put the sailors health at risk ?

Let's be honest tI agree that canabaism has never been a long term staple in a population's diet. That was rather the point of my originally bringing it up; if the lifeboat occupants could get over hough, cannibalism is not a long term survival food acquistion strategy for a healthy population...

I agree that canabalism has never been the noral diet. That was the point in my originally bringing it up. If the lifeboat occupants got over their natural revulsion in a starvation situation, I suspect that vegetarians could also get over theirs. That said, revulsion shouldn't be taken lightly; there's no nutrition gained (and precious fluids lost) if that revulsion becomes physical.

The health risks I was speaking of (on ALL sea voyages of the time, not just the whalers) were malnutrition, particularly scurvy, caused by lack of produce. The Royal Navy in particular sought, with limited success, to prevent it by having its sailors suck on or eat limes. Hence the term "Limeys."

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I rather suspect theres been more starve whilst surrounded by icky plenty than those who have decided to vary their diets.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I rather suspect theres been more starve whilst surrounded by icky plenty than those who have decided to vary their diets.

Now I'm thinking of the residents of Vicksburg eating rats and mice during the Civil war.

Or the scene in Pappilon where he ate the cockroach before being released from solitary confinement. He was another example of scurvy; remember him losing teeth in that scene. And later in the infirmary where they made it a point to show he was given fresh fruit to recover.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I can safely say that I can never see myself in a situation where I would need to hunt and trap.

My issue is that unless you need that skill set then there's no need for it.

imagine 1 chinese aircraft carrier off the coast of europe,or the russians turn off the gas,natural disaster etc,you cant grow crops because the cities have emptied into the countryside looking for allotments and crops to eat,so whats left? those animals that they dont know how to trap because they thaught they would never need to.my friend its better to never need a skill you have than to not have it and you, or worse still your dependants suffer.most of us do the bush craft thing knowing with some ammount of confidence that we wont need them,but what about in 50 or 100 or even 500 years time when the **** and no one passed on the knowledge for us as a species to survive?this isnt a personal attack mate i just hope you understand my point.

Last edited:

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
No worries fella, fully understand your point, dont agree with it but hey, life would be so boring if we all thought the same thing.

imagine 1 chinese aircraft carrier off the coast of europe,or the russians turn off the gas,natural disaster etc,you cant grow crops because the cities have emptied into the countryside looking for allotments and crops to eat,so whats left? those animals that they dont know how to trap because they thaught they would never need to.my friend its better to never need a skill you have than to not have it and you, or worse still your dependants suffer.most of us do the bush craft thing knowing with some ammount of confidence that we wont need them,but what about in 50 or 100 or even 500 years time when the **** and no one passed on the knowledge for us as a species to survive?this isnt a personal attack mate i just hope you understand my point.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I see it as a means for pest control and a free meal afterwards.
Not that I do much shooting now as I no longer work in the farming community so finding somewhere to hunt is a pain.
Hunting for the sake of it is another matter and there is another discussion on the forum about that running at the moment.

I also believe that people should be involved in hunting or slaughter at least once so they can see the process between pasture to plate if they want to eat meat. It may turn a few to the veggie way of life but it can also teach respect for where food comes from.
Kids now are losing the relationship between animal to processed food.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Paully fuzz, I think that its your choice as to the skills you want to learn / practice. Personally I think that hunting and trapping can be dangerous in any survival situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE