No damsons or plums this year...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No sloes at all!
Not sure about the damsons as I have not yet checked, but generally the fruit harvest around here is very poor this year :(

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Sounds like it is all very localised, which makes sense if this is about the bees not being able to get out of their hives. You only need 2 or 3 days of fine weather, provided they come at exactly the right time and there are some local bees to do the job. But there are fewer bees around and this year there was a lot of rain, so it seems that in a lot of location there never was 2 or 3 days of fine weather at the right time, or there weren't any bees.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We've got some sloes (Cambridgeshire) but not a lot of blackberries. Oddle enough I've recently seen a couple of elder bushes that have both berries and flowers on at the same time. Crab apples seem a bit sparce too.

Dave

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
The OH did very well again with her strawberries, but nobody round my way has any plums, damsons, apples or pears. The wine-making will be limited to elderberries and blackberries this year.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Some here in Llanelli, nothing, been checking the cherry plum tree's, nothing, no sloes, not even blackberries.

Although there is alot of rowan berries.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
we have 3 plum trees, not a single plum to be had. Lots of apples, but very small, I suspect this years cider crop will be a vintage. Haven't checked the sloes yet, keep forgetting.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I must be lucky, here in Kent/Sussex I have found damsons, bullace, sloes, crabs, and tonnes of blackberries. Fungi not doing so good as professional pickers are a problem down here. Still it's early days yet.

Luke

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
folklore says that the prunus family has a 2 year cycle,twas good last year and so this year will be lean,next year will be bountiful again.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Found plenty of sloes today.

However they are a wee bit green, Id give them a couple of weeks.

Im sure I can find a way of getting them to the sloe deprived.

Sep 4, 2012
Durham
Popped round the parentals over the weekend and their greengage tree has had its second successive poor yield. Never noticed/asked about the rhubarb, but noticed the Blackberries in some areas being low in numbers, but big in size. Has anyone else noticed they seem to be coming earlier and earlier? Can rembember picking them when I was younger during the October school holidays!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not in the South of Lincs it isn't!

Just had a long chat with a neighbour who runs a farm services business (combine harvesters etc.). As well as fruit being bad, the wheat harvest is a disaster - both quantity and quality :(

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found a sloe yesterday, so i pricked it and put it in what should be rumtopf, but is more just strawberry and blackberry rum.

I grew wheat as an experiment this year the modern wheat is lying flat, and the spelt is doing very little. I am going to plant a winter wheat with the spelt this week, it might work. i am going to experiment with cooking with club rush seed. It would be good to know what food works on really wet years for future food security.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've managed to get hold of a very small quantity of Spring sown heritage long stem wheat Xylaria - its in the store waiting for next year......hope I manage to get it going as I want to grow it for a couple of years just to propogate a decent amount!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE