No damsons or plums this year...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I have 12 damson and 1 plum tree in my garden. For the past 40 years they have produced a copious crop but this year there is not one single piece of fruit! Anyone else had this happen?:(:confused:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It's a low yield here too. No Damsons at all, only a few poorly looking wild plums, and what plums have come in the garden seem to be rotting or getting eaten before I can get to them. No cider making this year by the looks of it either :(

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
The usual sloe bushes the council destroyed this year, the first time they have ever bothered with that lane with one of those tractor driven things that smash bushes down to a fraction of their size. And the other place where sloes can be found up on the cliffs, there's a few out but they are miniscule in size compared to other years, so it will be no sloe gin this year, will have to think of something else to give as xmas presents, as I can't stand the stuff.

I have been told there is a few damsons out though near my cousin a mile away but this year it is a very poor fruit harvest, pity the wildlife more than us.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We have got tons of strawberries and rasperries. All the soft fruits are doing well. No peaches showing on our tree though. Seems stone fruits have taken a hit.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Down Sussex way there are far less damsons that are usually around, blackberries are not as good either, all my scrumping fig tree areas are a disappointment as well but beggars can't be choosers on this point. :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There was almost constant rain in the pollination period for many of the plum family this year around here. Pretty much total crop fail

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Down Sussex way there are far less damsons that are usually around, blackberries are not as good either, all my scrumping fig tree areas are a disappointment as well but beggars can't be choosers on this point. :rolleyes:

There's loads of cherry plums up near the racecourse...

And I can't agree with you about the blackberries either. I'm finding loads of them too, and juicy ones.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've got 4 plums ripening slowly and a few damsons. - last year was a bumper crop. The only trees bearing fruit in abundance around here are rowans. Currants did well though.

garethw

Settler
No fruit at all here in northern France.. I have several damson, plumb, green gage and cherry trees, as well as apples, last year we were snowed under with all sorts of fruits... This year!!! No fruit at all on the soft fruit trees, zero!! Apples look to be very, very poor... most trees having none at all, and only a few on others...
Glad I don't make a livign growing fruit, must be a real catastrophy for some places...
Guess we'll all end up spending more on imported fruit or going without....

cheers
Gareth

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sloes are doing ok for me. In my orchard the pears are so-so (some trees excellent, others devoid of fruit), and the apple trees are bare.

The high winds in the summer destroyed the flowers and early fruit.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Our blackcurrants and redcurrants have done really well this year, next doors granny smith tree is heavy with apples and the wild raspberries on a regular bimble route did really too this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE