No cook main meal one packet options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Occasionally I meet people who are camping and hiking in the area without suitable preparation. I've given them food and water but I'd like to find something a bit more suitable as a main meal. The main problem is finding something that doesn't require cooking. I'd also like to find something vegetarian and free of nuts, for obvious reasons.

The best I can come up with is a fruity cereal bar, but is there something which is a bit of a meal? Something with a long life would be good.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Cook off some dense pasta, grate parmesan on it (while hot), cool and mix in some broad beans, peas or chopped olives (any old stuff works) and olive oil and pepper. Then wrap it in cling film. Defo lasts of a few days, probably a week. Lovely cold and a carb fest.

Reactions: Robson Valley

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Ration Packs...Menu number 1 has a vegetarian all day breakfast included, as have menu 4 and 8. The main meals in 1, 4, 8 have meat in them but the breakfasts are veggie
Menu 7 main meal is a vegetable Korma, but the breakfast is for carnivores...:D

The Rat Pack meals keep for years, and you could always use the other contents like the meat meals yourself, or for other non veggies or sell the remnants off on the forum even.
The meals can be eaten cold and even at a push stuffed down their base layer for a while. ( I've done it...makes 'em luke...ish warm..ish....:laugh: :laugh:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Quinoa and Amaranth have surprisingly high protein content and in proper amino acid proportions for human too. Rest is spice, vegetarian oil according to taste, personally prefer olive oil. Cold pressed coconut oil is the longest lasting vege oil.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm really after something in a packet, like a cereal bar or can, that can be eaten uncooked.

It needs to be a packet so I can keep it until needed and so I can give it to someone to take away. (Also, currently to show I've not contaminated it with C19).

No cook because the recipient may not have anything to cook it with or I might not want them to have a fire - i.e. someone wild camping in the local woods when they're tinder dry.

Some of the ration packs look like they can be eaten cold, so an option.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like quinoa, even cooked, cold with a squirt of lemon juice. Couscous pasta and bulgur works just as well in this.
Cook a cup of quinoa in 1/2 water, 1/2 lemon juice and a dash of salt. Fluff that up and let it cool.
Add one cup each of fine dice cucumber, green & red peppers, purple onion, red radishes, yellow corn, olives, beans.
What ever is in the cupboard and fridge that needs using.
Seasoning: olive oil, lemon juice, S&P to taste. Wrap it in a fresh grape leaf and eat it.
This really is best the next day. Cool will not keep more than 3-4 days.

At risk of sounding nosey. How often are you bumping into ill prepared hikers that need feeding? I'm only intrigued as I spent many years in a Search and Rescue team at a fairly senior level so am well used to having to deal with poorly prepared walkers but never did I have to feed any, other than a couple of diabetics but that was more for medical reasons than hunger.

On the subject of food though. Fruitcake, those toffee waffle things, brit army rat packs as others have said (and all can be eaten cold - they are designed that was as sometimes OPSEC requires that you cannot have a fire for warming of food and making brews), breakfast bars are a good choice though they often have nuts in them, protein bars. Really if it's just an emergency get you home food anything with a bit of protein and carbs will work wonders.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You can rehydrate Magi noodles with cold water and eat them that way but the recipient would have to be desperate. Far kinder to break out the small meths stove or twig burner and boil a cup or two of water. If they need feeding that bad then they could probably murder a tea/coffee as well.

Oatcakes/ Ritz crackers, smoked sausage, tuna sachet, cheese. Can all be found in individual pre-wrapped portions. Energy dense, travels well with good shelf life if you are making batches of ziplock baggies.

Rice Crispy Cakes.... made with Jelly not chocolate definitely worth a try.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Pasty? Or are you thinking of something that can last months and months? If that, is a can of Heinz All Day Breakfast a possibility.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
At risk of sounding nosey. How often are you bumping into ill prepared hikers that need feeding? I'm only intrigued as I spent many years in a Search and Rescue team at a fairly senior level so am well used to having to deal with poorly prepared walkers but never did I have to feed any, other than a couple of diabetics but that was more for medical reasons than hunger.

Only a couple of times but this year might be different due to the fall out of C19.

The last case was a wild camper camping illegally. I had a chat and let them stay but offered some advice such as not using the stream water for drinking or washing as it has slurry run off in it (I gave them a few litres of bottled water). They said they were spending a few days walking in the area but didn't seem well prepared. Many places were still closed so I don't think they'll get much food so wanted to help.

Sadly I don't think many people are that careful with fires so I will not encourage anyone to have one by giving them anything that needs, or would be better, being cooked.

Something longish life is ideal, most cereal-bar type products have a year shelf life and we can eat them.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What about a bag of trail mix or something like that.
A bag of peanuts and dried mixed fruit.
Oatcakes and prepacked cheese or jam portions.
Apples
Cuppa soup and or a pack of Maggi noodles if they have a gas stove
That's all I can think of off the top of my head and are pretty much what I would have taken on a day hike in the past. so that lot can easily be put in a ziplock bag and handed on.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Higates flapjacks (from Home Bargains) solid as a brick packing 400+kcal each. If you buy them online by the case the price comes down to 30p each and are vegetarian friendly.

Reactions: Van-Wild

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do y’all have tinned Vienna sausages there? I know you have tinned sardines, etc. Not. vegan but it’s a start.

bearbait

If you want to make up something yourself and vacuum seal it (although it keeps ages without that) search "Logan Bread", a food designed for an expedition. It's like a glorified trail mix bar / energy bar with extras. There are a number of recipes out there. I can post the one I use if interested.

Reactions: JFW and TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE