No condensation trails!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks Hertsboy

I would love to live in a clean, quiet utopia where everything doesn't damage something. But I'm also a realist. I like the luxuries that modern life brings. In fact, if I'm honest, bushcraft is one of those luxuries. I don't need to hunt to eat, I don't need to build shelters to live and I don't really need to build a fire to stay warm, but I enjoy it. I enjoy it more in the wilder parts of the country like the Lake District or the Brecons. I would be lying if I said I could live a life totally at one with nature. I think it would be a hard life living hand to mouth. I see how hard my mother-in-law works on a hobby farm just to enjoy a few sheep and sheepdog trials. Lambing, shearing, haymaking. Long hard days, hardly any holidays (1 every 5 years so far). No real profit and relying on friends and family to get things done. But I enjoy it - for a while not as a way of life. I try and do my bit, grow my own veg, buy from independent stores where I can. Consider my travel plans, but still want to enjoy myself.

I am part of the system, that I can not deny. The kit I want can not be sourced locally (but please someone prove me wrong on this point). The places I see that I want to visit are far from home. I have not explored all of the UK, and do make it a point to get away in the UK as much as possible. But also I want to see the sun rise in the desert, the sun set on the Rockies and everything in between. I agree, we need to look at how we travel and how we view travel in a much broader sense. Things are changing in the industry. But that's a whole other topic and sounds far to much like work to me.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fair comment, Red. And I personally hate going abroad when we have so much here!

But this trip was to see her seriously ill mother - probably the last time she will see her, in this world at least!

Still, look on the bright side, at least she'll have a bit more time with her mum while she can

And you know what - in those circumstances, I'd do whatever it took to get there too!

Just a thought but ifall your good lady needs is an EHIC, have you thought of couriering it? Should get there in two days even now at not too bad a cost. One of my staff was in Southern Spain on Saturday and still got back to England okay for today. Car, ferry, train, sorted. Post is still getting through and if your good lady hasn't a time table to get home, EHICs can also be applied for online at

http://www.e111.org.uk/apply.html

Hope that helps a bit

Red

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Why is everyone worried about C02?

Its great stuff, ask any plant or tree.
Now that the Global Warming Scam has been outed, many of us believe that it is in fact a coolant, quite the reverse of what they are trying to get us to believe. A bit like the Ice age we were supposed to be experiencing now, another fallacy that started off in the 1970's just like this Global Warming one.

FACT, temperatures have cooled in the last ten years

:pokenest:

Please don't start that "cooling" nonsense AGAIN, and don't call it "fact". See http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=414586&highlight=cooling#post414586 where it has been discussed already.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE