No condensation trails!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Probably nobody here, at least in Europe, will ever had a clear view of the skies without condensation trails. I'm enjoying every bit of it as I watch the sky as it used to be... It should be made a tradition!

So how are you experiencing this little gift from Eyjafjällajökull?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Well, right now I'm looking out at an overcast cloudy Scotland :sigh:

The cross contrails from the jets to and from Glasgow and Edinburgh airports usually paint enormous Saltires in the sky for us. Yesterday the skies were pure blue, absolutely lovely :D

Hear? if it rains ? will it be rain full of sulphuric ash ?

cheers,
Toddy

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Here you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8624806.stm

Frankly I think that vulcanic ashes are the least of our polluting problems.:D

What I'm focusing on is this 'global dimming' thing. During the no-fly period after 9/11 the recorded avg temp went up a couple of degree's. The suggested cause was that the condensation trails 'dim' the amount of radiation and during the no-fly period this became manifest.

Obviously the ash is now dimming but I'm curious about short term meteorological effects.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

The cross contrails from the jets to and from Glasgow and Edinburgh airports usually paint enormous Saltires in the sky for us. Yesterday the skies were pure blue, absolutely lovely :D

cheers,
Toddy

No one has said anything about the ash having fluorine yet which has been a serious consequence to previous eruptions. When Eyjafjällajökull has gone in the past so has Katla. Katla doesn't do slow grumbly eruptions it does big explosive one and it has been over due for a few years. In 1783 the last time that caldera went europe was choked with a hot dry fog for several weeks followed by a really bad winter. There was also a volcano in italy that went at the same time though. The toxic dust should wash off foragable food, so shops empty of flown in imports aren't an issue. I can't see the air getting much worse that a normal bad day in the middle of a city. I have gone for walk in the rain the london and my hair changed colour.

A rather pretty side effect I saw in the shetlands was the sea water sparkles when you paddle in it.

Last edited:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston

cheers,
Toddy

The WHO and the BMC have stated that there should be no health problems although folks with diagnosed respiratory conditions should be wary.

The ash cloud is hardly touching the UK anyway its just skirting over the top.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really, reealy hope that this marks the end of all air travel, pretty much forever. Nasty, noisy, polluting things that are pretty much only there for selfish purposes (holidays, pointless business trips etc.). If there is never another flight, good stuff, say I.

Red

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
No clouds seen in Lituania, though I found some ash on my car.., Or m'be just couse I looked at it.... But anyways it seems to be more grey than dust from roads, so have a look at yours...

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I really, reealy hope that this marks the end of all air travel, pretty much forever. Nasty, noisy, polluting things that are pretty much only there for selfish purposes (holidays, pointless business trips etc.). If there is never another flight, good stuff, say I.

Red

Hear hear.. even my kids are able to rapidly pronounce Eyjafjällajökull by now...

Part of the 'ash for cash' program started by the Icelandic central bank?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I imagine it could get pretty old before a few decades are up...

Get ready for decades of Icelandic fireworks

* 17:38 16 April 2010 by Kate Ravilious

We're not quite back to the pre-plane era, but air travel over and around the north Atlantic might get a lot more disrupted in the coming years.

Volcanologists say the fireworks exploding from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano on Iceland, which is responsible for the ash cloud that is grounding all commercial flights across northern Europe, may become a familiar sight. Increased rumblings under Iceland over the past decade suggest that the area is entering a more active phase, with more eruptions and the potential for some very large bangs.

"Volcanic activity on Iceland appears to follow a periodicity of around 50 to 80 years. The increase in activity over the past 10 years suggests we might be entering a more active phase with more eruptions," says Thorvaldur Thordarson, an expert on Icelandic volcanoes at the University of Edinburgh, UK. By contrast, the latter half of the 20th century was unusually quiet.

Along with increased volcanism, more seismic activity has been recorded around Iceland, including the magnitude-6.1 quake that rocked Reykjavik in May 2008.
Rifting strain

In 1998 Gudrún Larsen from the University of Iceland in Reykjavik and colleagues used 800 years' worth of data from lava layers, ice cores and historical records to show that Iceland's volcanism goes through cycles of high and low activity. The peaks of these cycles seem to be strongly linked to bursts of earthquakes, which release the build-up of strain on tectonic faults near Iceland caused by the rifting of the Atlantic Ocean.

In addition, the periodicity may be linked to pulses of magma coming from the mantle and pressure fluctuations at the surface caused by glaciers melting and geothermal activity.

Larsen and colleagues showed that the Vatnajökull ice cap region – which includes the highly active Grímsvötn and Bárdarbunga volcanoes – experienced between 6 and 11 eruptions every 40 years during phases of high activity, compared with no more than three eruptions per 40 years during low-activity phases. Other regions of Iceland appear to follow a similar pattern to Vatnajökull.

As well as becoming more frequent, eruptions seem to get more intense during the high-activity phases. A number of Iceland's most devastating eruptions – including that of the volcano Laki in 1783 that killed over half of Iceland's livestock and led to a famine that wiped out about a quarter of the human population – have occurred when the Atlantic rift system has been active. "If we are entering a more active phase, these bigger eruptions will become more likely," says Thordarson.

Judging by recent volcanic and earthquake activity, Thordarson and his colleagues believe that Iceland is entering its next active phase and estimate it will last for 60 years or so, peaking between 2030 and 2040.

Journal reference: Geology, vol 26, p 943

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Its clear down our way, no volcanic dust, or any contrails

April10036.jpg

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.

Red

I couldn't agree with you less Red.

I don't know what you do for a living, but from your posts about renovating your house, you appear to live and exist in a rural idyll. Although I live in the countryside too, the couple of weeks a year that I can take my family away from beautiful, rainy Cumbria really are a rain free treat.

Mass air travel has opened the world up to ordinary people, and I for one will be very sorry if, for whatever reason, that is denied to us.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE