no bake hiking emergency pack (like datrex)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I didn't know where to put this as it isn't wild food but it might be useful.
Datrex white bars are 2400 calorie 500g 12 portion emergency ration bars which are useful when hiking, especially in winter when you're more likely to get caught out and stuck due to a turn in weather (I'm on the ny moors).

These bars aren't supposed to be healthy nutritionally balanced meals, just for seeing you through short term.

I'v made a batch of my own version because it's cheaper and easier to get hold of, plus owt is better than nowt.
mine weigh in at about 450g, the carb content is just over half that of datrex, but I'm trying to figure a way of upping it.
they taste sort of like coconut shortbread and are very crumbly (I'm not sure how they would fare in high temps, the coconut might melt haha).
If you leave out the flour or reduce the amount they aren't as crumbly.

put bran into blender with sugar and blend into powder, add the flour and blend to mix.
melt the whole creamed coconut bar in the microwave (keep an eye on it as the dessicated coconut can burn)
add the melted coconut to the blender and blend until mixed.
scrape into a tin and push into a firm block (or straight into a ziplock bag & squashed flat) and leave to set in the fridge.

1g56b7.jpg

No idea how long these last but all ingredients are shelf stable and they are easy and cheap enough to make the night before a walk.

Last edited:

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
oo will have to look for them, flapjacks are great and fun to bake.
I just wanted to mess about trying to replicate the datrex, hadsome success at least! haha
I think for what they are datrex are over rated as a hiking emergency food, more suited to long term storage on lifeboats etc (as they are intended to be)

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have tried datrex bars before ( used to service liferafts)and found them to be the most unpalatable thing known to man kind, very reminisent of the fat blocks I put out for the birds

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have tried datrex bars before ( used to service liferafts)and found them to be the most unpalatable thing known to man kind, very reminisent of the fat blocks I put out for the birds

A very good comparison!
I switched to Kendal Mint cake ....

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
What about marzipan, basically an almond/sugar mix?
Oo, I think I may love you a bit for suggesting that, I'm going to think up some nice marzipan flapjack recipes!

I agree with the fat blocks for birds thing, these are more palatable due to the coconut and bran.
I can think of things I'd rather take but these are simple to make (under 10 mins) and good as a back up option using cupboard stock you will probably have ,ie. if you live rural with no shops near and fancy a day out but have no other 'rations' to hand.
Either way, I thought I'd post as It might come in handy for someone, maybe for birds too..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
we made bars based on a recipe that is used to fatten up african kids when they are malnurished

1/4 jar Peanut Butter
3/4 sml tin. evaporated milk
good handfull. goji berries or any dried fruit
Good handfull .toasted soya nuts
handfull. porigde oats

As you can see this is precise cooking
biggrin.png

mix all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well pour mixture onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and cook on a very low heat until it resembles peanut brittle.
Let it cool slightly then cut into pieces about the size of a small bar of chocolate. It has a stupid amount of calories, and it is also high in protein which keeps you fuller and going for longer. Also it doesnt seem to go off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE