Limited Canned Goods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's supposed to make it easier to push the meat out of the can, and to slice it neatly as you do so.

Having said that my first Saturday job as a teenager was working in the local dairy shop. It sold everything from milk and cheese to cold meats. The corned beef came in huge great rectangular cans and getting the meat out of them neatly was an effort and a half. I think the block must have weighed about 5lbs, so well over 2kgs. Getting them up onto the slicer was another effort too. Slippy things even with greaseproof folded round them.

Chicken came in huge round tins, like triple sized Pringles cans, but gammon and 'luncheon' meat came in the same kind of shape as the corned beef.

Thinking on it, all those years ago, we didn't keep the meats separate, the same slicer was in use all day long. Lethal thing, no guard, but it was the only thing the Boss cleaned himself, no one else was allowed to do so.
We sliced up the tinned stuff, the Ayrshire bacon, the roast beef, gammon on the bone, the beef ham, just as folks came in to buy. Never heard of us poisoning anyone though :)

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
That's supposed to make it easier to push the meat out of the can, and to slice it neatly as you do so.

Having said that my first Saturday job as a teenager was working in the local dairy shop. It sold everything from milk and cheese to cold meats. The corned beef came in huge great rectangular cans and getting the meat out of them neatly was an effort and a half. I think the block must have weighed about 5lbs, so well over 2kgs. Getting them up onto the slicer was another effort too. Slippy things even with greaseproof folded round them.

Chicken came in huge round tins, like triple sized Pringles cans, but gammon and 'luncheon' meat came in the same kind of shape as the corned beef.

Thinking on it, all those years ago, we didn't keep the meats separate, the same slicer was in use all day long. Lethal thing, no guard, but it was the only thing the Boss cleaned himself, no one else was allowed to do so.
We sliced up the tinned stuff, the Ayrshire bacon, the roast beef, gammon on the bone, the beef ham, just as folks came in to buy. Never heard of us poisoning anyone though :)
i call to mind the open tubs/buckets of loose fresh food and spices etcetera in the markets whereby folk could scoop and bag-up as much or as little as they wanted

similar process to what these days they call pick-and-mix

yet there were far less sickness than there be these days

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Then you probably want to have a real long check of exactly what is in your kitchen currently.
no need as i always look on the label prior for purchase store-bought due for allergies

worst being when they claim [new improved flavour] and the stuff they add

i buy from farmers markets where possible although a bit difficult [in the past couple of years disruption] by the bio-weapon scandal

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basic cheap as chips butterfly one.

I confess I have tried every variety available. (hey, shiny ! :) :redface: ) I just use the butterfly one.
It works, it works tidily every time, it opens every kind of can, even the weird shaped ones.....and when it gets too slack or grotty, I go and buy another one.....for under two quid.
It's like tattie peelers. Keep it simple and it does it's job fine :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
No-one for Fray Bentos pies? Round tins unlike spam and corned beef.

Seriously, spam for the flavour? Its flavour would rule it out for me. Corned beef has a few uses. Corned beef hash is one reason, you can get canned potatoes too. Brown sauce with hash is really nice. Real comfort food.

BTW we were getting a new kitchen put in so cleared out the old kitchen. Sure enough there was a corned beef tin 6 years out of date! That was out of date 4 years before my partner moved in so not just down to me that it was still in there. Needless to say I didn't think it needed throwing but I was outvoted. They've cooked tinned bully beef from the great war without I'll health so that tin was likely to still be good.

This is a good thread. Have you considered another thread for jar based foods? A lot oh European countries have a wide selection of foods stored in n hats.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No-one for Fray Bentos pies? Round tins unlike spam and corned beef.

Seriously, spam for the flavour? Its flavour would rule it out for me. Corned beef has a few uses. Corned beef hash is one reason, you can get canned potatoes too. Brown sauce with hash is really nice. Real comfort food.

BTW we were getting a new kitchen put in so cleared out the old kitchen. Sure enough there was a corned beef tin 6 years out of date! That was out of date 4 years before my partner moved in so not just down to me that it was still in there. Needless to say I didn't think it needed throwing but I was outvoted. They've cooked tinned bully beef from the great war without I'll health so that tin was likely to still be good.

This is a good thread. Have you considered another thread for jar based foods? A lot oh European countries have a wide selection of foods stored in n hats.

The reason I'm focusing the question on the fungible typical food cans that- that they are fungible meaning that they stack and store and rotate with great ease.

As soon as you introduce other shaped jars, tins etc it can all go a bit sideways.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a problem with all the cans being the same sized; you don't need a large canful of everything.
Sweetcorn, tomato puree, evaporated milk, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, corned beef.....

Lakeland sell can storage wire things. They come in different sizes to suit.....though I do not think anyone has sussed out the corned beef or sardines.....

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
There's a problem with all the cans being the same sized; you don't need a large canful of everything.
Sweetcorn, tomato puree, evaporated milk, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, corned beef.....

Lakeland sell can storage wire things. They come in different sizes to suit.....though I do not think anyone has sussed out the corned beef or sardines.....
you have given a question for use of standard and larger size cans for hiking

what is the best way while hiking etcetera for re-lidding [for lack of better words] standard and larger cans when half is used the night before as one needs to move on the morning after

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

But also there is the option to thinking how to make main meals for several people from a source ( Vs Sauce ) of a generic combination of tins.

Also, if there is a significant reason to be utilising an emergency store of tinned goods there maybe a reason for that. The ability to then sore partially opened tins is compromised if the grid is down for a bit.

Unless you are one of those lucky people with a back up generator or a method to store and keep food cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE