Night scope for £50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
A heads up for everyone, Either Lidl or Aldi are doing a x 3 mag. night vision scope for £59 starting the 1st June. You just can't buy these things for much under a ton wherever you go. Not sure of the quality but the bumf says it normally retails at £109 so that fits nicely with most retailers normal prices.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good one Sniper

Got to be worth a look for that price. Just in time for my bunny hunting trip next week too.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well I hope it is the same one, that was last years offer but they are usually much of a likeness.

I bought one a few years back and for the price (£99.99) it is an excellent piece of kit, above the standard for the military 1st gen kit and using just two AA batteries either normal or rechargable

:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm notsure on that one, just remember to keep the cap on in light conditions as I don't know if that one has a protection circuit that'll prevent damage if you do. An expensive mistake that a lot of folk make. If the price and spec are true then it's not bad.
Goatboy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No mate that's not the one, it's black in colour and looks more compact, and a good bit cheaper than that one. I've had a look on their website but can't see it but it's on their mailshot starting 1st June.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sniper can you confirm is is def Aldi? and also can you confirm price as being £59.00?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You get what you pay for. These are Gen 1 image intensifiers. They are great fun but don't expect too much - you will not get the sort of performance out of these which you see on the TV - those are Gen 2 systems.

Gen 1 works well with external light sources - if you can find some kind of illumination source operating at the correct wavelength, you can get some good images. Otherwise, you get to a point where either the ambient light isn't high enough and you can't see anything, or the ambient light is good and you'd actually see more without the scope!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Not showing as a special on the Aldi website. I hope they do get them though.
However from sunday they will have the 2m landing net which works well (with the net removed) as tarp poles which pack down small.
Alan

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Can confirm it's Lidl and available from Sat 6th June and the price is actually £54.99 on the flyer. I already have a gen 1 russian scope and it works well but you have to be careful and not look at bright light sources as it can fry the circuits but the gen 2 kit has the protection circuit as a safeguard.
Specs are
3.1 x magnification
Lightweight rubber coated body
Focal length 50mm
Size (cm) 17.3 x 8.7 x 6.3
Supplied with a padded nylon carry pouch, lens cap and 2 x AA batteries
They also have a 10 piece set of karabiners or shackles for £6.99.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
thanks for the heads up sniper, I really must resist the temptation to buy anymore toys, ill see if im passing a lidl that day or not, the last lot of NV that was in lidl disappeared rapid.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Quite correct Mikey these are definately Gen 1 scopes, but remember even Gen 1 scopes normally retail at over £100 so I don't think these will stay in the shop long, so if anybody wants one I suggest they get to the shops on the 6th.

Usual thing no connection blah blah.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Quite correct Mikey these are definately Gen 1 scopes, but remember even Gen 1 scopes normally retail at over £100 so I don't think these will stay in the shop long, so if anybody wants one I suggest they get to the shops on the 6th.

Usual thing no connection blah blah.

Indeed, still a really good price and, like I said, as long as people aren't expecting too much, they're very good fun.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Just phoned the lidl customer line and they say that the NV stuff was a 1 day special in may. DARN :red:

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
Spoke to Lidl customer services today as there is still no sign of them on their website. Staff said they will be getting them in soon so keep an eye out on the specials section on the site.
Snipers mailshot must be a local thing.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You get what you pay for. These are Gen 1 image intensifiers. They are great fun but don't expect too much - you will not get the sort of performance out of these which you see on the TV - those are Gen 2 systems.

Gen 1 works well with external light sources - if you can find some kind of illumination source operating at the correct wavelength, you can get some good images. Otherwise, you get to a point where either the ambient light isn't high enough and you can't see anything, or the ambient light is good and you'd actually see more without the scope!

I agree 100% with this. Gen 1 scopes are good for around 30 yards with external IR illumination, pants without. I had NV scopes before on my rifles gen 1 and 2. i paid £400 and £1800 for them. The gen 1 was not good enough to shoot by at much more than 30 yards, the gen 2 will give you about 75 yards with IR.

So as said, do not expect much for that price.. They also make a high pitched whining noise when on and have fuzzy screens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE