Nice one Mr Kirtley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
been on one of his courses great bloke great blog been on it from the start regards dave

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Paul is a great guy. He was the course lead when I did my Journeyman week. Very inspiring.

If I can find a spot near Jokkmokk where I can build something like this and cut down firewood, I would be up for a night without sleeping pad or sleeping bag. It was on my wishlist for a follow up of our Advanced Arctic course.

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Thanks for your kind words and support. I'm glad you found my article interesting and enjoyable.

I hope some of you do get to try a lean-to in the snow this winter. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures and reading your trip reports/blogs.

All the very best for 2013! :)

Paul

rg598

Native
Very well written article as always. However, I am not a fan of this type of shelter. I find in my experience that it offers very little protection from snow and rain. Once the wind starts (and it never seems to blow from one constant, uninterrupted direction), that rain/snow will be right in your face. I know the roof is put at a very steep pitch to shed the rain/snow, but I find the large open area to be a big problem. Also, the shelter does not trap much heat, and mostly serves as a reflector. That forces you to use a large fire to keep warm. I know it's a popular shelter design, but I have had very bad experiences with them. That being said, each type of shelter has its own set of problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE