Nice big cauldron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

John Burton

Having seen Woody cooking at the recent moot in a nice big cauldron, we realised that a large pot hung from a tripod would be ideal for our family. Obviously a large pot is a heavy thing to carry, but surely there must be a demand for them for larger group cooking, etc. does anyone know where we can get one, or have any design considerations we should be aware of?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I made myself a couple of big cauldons from the bottom of 14 Kg. gas bottles.

Make sure they are empty then remove the valve and stand upside down for a couple of days just to be sure. Safety first and all that.

Chop the base off and cut just below the centre weld with an angle grinder. Add some loops or drill holes to add handles and there you are.

Some bottles have a coating inside which is best removed with a sanding disk . I've never been able to work out which ones do have the coating and which don't so it's a bit of a lottery.

They are much better than cast ones, firstly they're lighter but you could play football with them and they will not crack like a cast one or even dent.

Ps. You can turn the top end into a neat little BBQ brazier

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just shot one off, I think I can get this to work.

Ignore the raised spots on the two right hand pots, they are there just to imitate the Viking rivetted cauldrons.

The big ones are 14Kg bottle bases and I think the other was a 7Kg.

Attachments

• cauldron.jpg
    cauldron.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 324

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Wayland said:
I've just shot one off, I think I can get this to work.

Ignore the raised spots on the two right hand pots, they are there just to imitate the Viking rivetted cauldrons.

The big ones are 14Kg bottle bases and I think the other was a 7Kg.
That's very cleaver Wayland :)
Now if they had a lid....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used to use cast iron pots for late mediaeval shows where we ran a field kitchen, but they always had to be packed so carefully for transport and I still managed to break two of them.

Added to that the sheer weight of them, some required a wooden pole and a person on each side of the fire to lift them on the pot cranes when full.

Ever since working out this little trick we haven't looked back.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Wayland said:
I used to use cast iron pots for late mediaeval shows where we ran a field kitchen, but they always had to be packed so carefully for transport and I still managed to break two of them.

Added to that the sheer weight of them, some required a wooden pole and a person on each side of the fire to lift them on the pot cranes when full.

Ever since working out this little trick we haven't looked back.

Do they age as well as proper cast iron pots? I was under the impression that the slightly porous nature of cast iron was what took up the oil to make the nice non-stick coating.

Keith.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've never had a problem with them. If anything I think they work better because the surface is smoother.

I've certainly fried in them on many occasions, crispy bacon being one of the best tests for sticking that I know of.

One thing I have found over the years is that the oil makes a big difference over a camp fire. If you are working with a very hot fire it's best to use grapeseed oil as it has a higher burn point than most.

Having said that I normally use olive oil.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayland said:
I made myself a couple of big cauldons from the bottom of 14 Kg. gas bottles.

Make sure they are empty then remove the valve and stand upside down for a couple of days just to be sure. Safety first and all that.
Superb idea mate. Tip for quickly making sure they are empty - fill em with water, then pour it out. Job done. ;)

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Hi Wayland

Is it important that they are cut below the centre weld point - I would like to use the full depth of the 18.5 kg bottle I have for the bows, so will not need to hammer the rim, only cut out a couple of holes for wire handle.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Great idea for recycling gas bottles, although I'd probably go for bead/sand blasting to remove the inner coating rather than just trust to a sanding disk to get it all. Any idea what the coating is?

Nice cauldron hanger too by the way - very tidily done. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE