Tiny triumph

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is a silly thing to be pleased about - but I am. We love cooking what we grow, and we also love Asian and Indian cookery. Chilli, garlic, onions & tomatoes we grow & indeed propagate without a problem. However a couple of attempts at root ginger previously have failed. This year - no problem! Big (4 foot) amazing smelling plants and, as you can see, lots of the corm / tuber that we wanted :smuggrin:

The next challenge is of course how to over winter them? In an insulated pot? As a dried tuber stored in sand? I think we'll try a few alternatives (we have 6 plants), but for now - the Happy Dance!
IMG_20221003_165522.jpg

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
However a couple of attempts at root ginger previously have failed. This year - no problem! Big (4 foot) amazing smelling plants and, as you can see, lots of the corm / tuber that we wanted :smuggrin:
Did you grow it from standard shop bought ginger? I expect it enjoyed all the hot sunshine this year.

Turmeric is very similar and I find easier to grow than ginger, fresh turmeric is very tasty as well.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I discovered that I like to fine dice the fresh leaves for salads and stir-fries. As grape leaves taste like grapes, ginger leaves have a fragrant mild ginger smell and taste. The plant lives in a 30cm pot in a south window.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Did you grow it from standard shop bought ginger? I expect it enjoyed all the hot sunshine this year.

Turmeric is very similar and I find easier to grow than ginger, fresh turmeric is very tasty as well.
Half expensive garden centre just planted, half shop bought scrubbed under the tap to remove anti germination coating. Both grew fine! I must try turmeric!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I discovered that I like to fine dice the fresh leaves for salads and stir-fries. As grape leaves taste like grapes, ginger leaves have a fragrant mild ginger smell and taste. The plant lives in a 30cm pot in a south window.
That's a great tip - thanks :hungry:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today we needed ginger so harvested on of our 6 buckets of ginger. I wasn't sorry to do this a recent frosts have killed off the foliage, so it's not getting any bigger this year.

Well, there was more than I thought. One bucket yielded 850g of the most wonderfully aromatic root ginger. That will give a growing value if more than £5 per square foot & 5 kilos of ginger in half a dozen B&Q buckets.

The next step is to test how well it over winters

IMG_20221212_130523.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Half expensive garden centre just planted, half shop bought scrubbed under the tap to remove anti germination coating. Both grew fine! I must try turmeric!

Ah! Anti germination coating! Never knew about that, no wonder I've not had any luck, just a rotten mess in the pot after a while.
Good tip to try again next spring... I adore ginger, and its so expensive to buy crystallised, I have some every day by making a soothing camomile honey and ginger tea before bed. Using commercial fresh or crystallised ginger, ,with local honey(now £8 a jar)makes it an expensive drink!
It would be great to cut costs , especially nowadays.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’ve become fond of Chais. Ginger and cardamon have serious health benefits.
Now if people would stop with
‘ oh your drinking chai tea.’
I reply ‘ yes, with Digestives biscuits cookies .’

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I keep meaning to try this since I use kilos of the stuff. I've taken to chopping it fairly finely and storing it in vinegar, inspired by 'lazy ginger.'

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've always found shop bought ginger very easy to get growing but not easy to get it to bulk up. Down here I expect we don't have a long enough growing season, especially the warm nights.

Funnily enough I did have a ginger plant which was part of a trial of edible gingers that were better suited to the UK. That was one of the hardest things to get growing each year, took months in a propagator. Had it for about 10 years but it never produced enough root to ever try.

It's a shame there's not a good hardy edible ginger, I grow a couple of hardy flowering ones and they can be quite invasive and grow easily from seed.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've always found shop bought ginger very easy to get growing but not easy to get it to bulk up. Down here I expect we don't have a long enough growing season, especially the warm nights.

Funnily enough I did have a ginger plant which was part of a trial of edible gingers that were better suited to the UK. That was one of the hardest things to get growing each year, took months in a propagator. Had it for about 10 years but it never produced enough root to ever try.

It's a shame there's not a good hardy edible ginger, I grow a couple of hardy flowering ones and they can be quite invasive and grow easily from seed.
Are the non edible ones actually poisonous or just not palatable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE