NHS Body Mass Index Calculator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ooohhhhhh Just eaten a large full chicken, loads of celery, lettuce leaves, and chunks of cheddar......cant move.......gonna explode.....lovin this diet.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am going to try to limit sweets to college days (2 days a week) Will that help?

Probably find the cravings will go away after you give them up completely for a bit ( Even just two days a week is going to keep that sweet tooth active ) - try a couple of weeks. Replace with Nuts for nibbles.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ref Eggs and Cholesterol.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The jury is still out a bit and remember there is LDL ( bad ) and HDL ( good ) cholestrol so its not black and white arguement.
And Cholesterol is required in a lot of body functions.
[/FONT]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dave on the egg front be careful about eating too many. I love them but found when I was a serious gym bunny that the yolk contained a lot of cholesterol. If memory serves me right it was about 4mg per yolk which if you're under a heart doctor may skew blood tests in the wrong direction. :(
I was eating egg white omeletts to keep the figure down. My levels are really good these days and I have gone back to eating whole eggs but try to eat no more than a couple a week. Still poached is better than fried. Bummer though as I like a boiled egg or quiche.
One way to make the eggy taste go farther is a baked omelette. Bulk it up with plenty veg and it fills you without using too many eggs.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

There was a BBC documentary a year or so back, 'Britain's favorite supermarket foods' IIRC and the presenter ate a lot, a lot of eggs for a couple of weeks and it barely raised her cholesterol level at all so the egg myth has pretty much been shot down (not just from that show either). I eat eggs, butter, cheese et al, all the bad things but...in moderation.

If I have left over cooked spuds I often use them to make a basic spud frittata for brekkie, add sliced toms to the top and sprinkle with a little cheese and finish off under the grill :)
[video=youtube;XXNIp524e0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXNIp524e0s[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There was a BBC documentary a year or so back, 'Britain's favorite supermarket foods' IIRC and the presenter ate a lot, a lot of eggs for a couple of weeks and it barely raised her cholesterol level at all so the egg myth has pretty much been shot down (not just from that show either). I eat eggs, butter, cheese et al, all the bad things but...in moderation.

If I have left over cooked spuds I often use them to make a basic spud frittata for brekkie, add sliced toms to the top and sprinkle with a little cheese and finish off under the grill :)
[video=youtube;XXNIp524e0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXNIp524e0s[/video]

I mentioned it as Dave said he was under the Doctor just now and they'll be checking for it in his blood.
If you look at the Mexicans it doesn't seem to do them any harm. The eat more eggs per capita than anyone else in the world. It's something like 450 eggs per person per year as a nation. They were in real trouble a year or two back when bird flu ment swathes of chooks were destroyed and there was a major egg shortage with prices going through the roof.
Still their cholesterol levels don't seem too out of step with anywhere else.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
The total calorie intake of course can matter in the end, but for most people, I think getting off carbs is a very good first step. Since refined sugars and carbs wreaks havoc with our hormonal responses, I mean. For me, cravings have become much easier to handle.
Basically nowadays, a carrot will give me the same sugar rush, a mars bar would, two years back.
I haven't done the math. I don't have to, since I know it works for me, but I think the total calorie intake per day is lower because the need to nibble on something is greatly reduced.

Rik_uk: I don't know what you mean by bad breath. I remember from long field exercises in the army, most guys would smell like acetone. The super fit would smell more like horse manure.
I think that depends on what the body i burning when starvation sets in.

I occasionally get the acetone breath (I think) but only if I skip a meal or something.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I occasionally get the acetone breath (I think) but only if I skip a meal or something.

That smell is Ketones ( fats being broken down and converted to a Glucose type substance for the brain to function ) being produced , I think overall its better to the alternative.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wouldn't worry too much about BMI, it makes no distinction between muscle weight and the weight of fat for example. Someone who's obese and a bodybuilder could weight the same and in turn have the same BMI, but one is obviously still healthy and the other not.

Tonyuk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive committed to this diet TD recommended. Low Carbs High Fat.

Cup of coffee in a morning, with full fat cream, Stacks of bacon, an egg, and an avacado! Will be my poision later today.

Yesterday, I cooked half a duck, in coconut fat, with asparagus, soaked in butter in the same oven dish.

Afterwards had blueberries, and pine nuts in full fat cream.

And I bought a sugar substitute called stevia. Which is not a synthetic sacharin but a herb.
Drinking loads of water.

Daft as it sounds, I already feel a little bit lighter.... Energy, but Ive also noticed Ive got a bit of a shorter temper as well. Go Figure.

Bought a kindle book, 200 LCHF recipes. Went to an asian supermarket, for cashews, fresh spinach, pine nuts, cream without sugar, butter, etc etc.

Leg of lamb [£16!] etc etc

Back up to walking 3 miles per day. If this diet helps with my fatigue, because of my illness I'll be absolutely over the moon. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ive committed to this diet TD recommended. Low Carbs High Fat.

Cup of coffee in a morning, with full fat cream, Stacks of bacon, an egg, and an avacado! Will be my poision later today.

Yesterday, I cooked half a duck, in coconut fat, with asparagus, soaked in butter in the same oven dish.

Afterwards had blueberries, and pine nuts in full fat cream.

And I bought a sugar substitute called stevia. Which is not a synthetic sacharin but a herb.
Drinking loads of water.

Daft as it sounds, I already feel a little bit lighter.... Energy,

The feeling lighter sensation - you may well be lighter already. To explain ( and I'm not claiming to be an expert ) for every gram of Carbs in your body your body will 'hold' an amount of water as well , as you are consuming less Carbs that water weight is being displaced as unrequired. Also the additional water you are consuming will also get your body to 'flsuh' your system as it realises it doesn't need to 'hold' water as it is getting a steady amount of liquid during the day.

Thats the same principle with the Fat consumption - by eating more Fat , your body feels no need to hold it. And by eliminating the Carbs you give it no reason to turn Crabs to Fat in the 1st place.

but Ive also noticed Ive got a bit of a shorter temper as well. Go Figure.

The short temper may just be your body craving Carbs - it takes a good few weeks for those pangs to go away - at the end of it you should have a far more stable mindset , some even comment of the mental clarity it provides.

The short temper thing is interesting - As a male your sex drive and testosterone production requires fats to be produced - the sudden increase in 'good' fats may well be the cause , egg yolks among certain circles are renowned for having a 'steroid' like affect.

I'd suggest if you can , and have access to a gym doing a strength routine once of twice a week ( mon-frid-wednesday-mon works well ) following some basic compound movements - no lengthy hour long sessions - just hit the Gym , hit the big prime mover muscles with compound lifts ( Squats , Deadlifts , Bench , Row http://stronglifts.com/5x5/) to maximize the continued calorie burn and all these good fats and protein that you are consuming.

Also if you are close to the Sea or Lakes you may want to consider some cold water thermogenesis.

http://paleoleap.com/cold-water-therapy/

Last edited:

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Good on you, dave!
Sound like you're off to a good start, and don't need much more advice. My best go-to advice is: Don't supress your thirst signals. Your need for water may well increase. I frequently got headaches in the beginning before realizing this.
Also regarding Stevia: People respond differently to it. From what I hear, some people get raised blood sugar levels from it.
I tried som of the erzats sugars in the beginning, but as the sugar cravings went away, I try to stay clear of it. It can be a lot of help in certain social situations where sugar intake is the norm.
That is another thing. You might find that some people will be offended by your not partaking in the normative munching of sweet stuff. It's like trying to stay sober at a stag-party sometimes. Find a way around this that works for you.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hey! I seem to have lost 2.2kg in the last 8 days! Or 5lbs. According to my bathroom scales, which have gone from 16.1 [stones and Lbs] to 15.10
I kinda felt like I was losing weight, but I dont look any different. Still got the pot belly. Wow. Still cant quite believe that.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thats probably the water weight being lost as your body doesn't need to hold it with the carbs ( as you are carb depleting ).

Now - don't be afraid of Fat - you'll start using it more efficiently and your body will start to not hold it as you get used to using it as an energy source.

Tip - as the months get colder - consider leaving the bedroom window open - you'll carry on burning calories over night.

Good Work.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sleeping through hunger pangs is a pretty good way to get through them.
Water retention can be pretty hefty weight wise. I lost about a stone in an hour or so after injections in hospital when I was in heart failure. A small bucket full of wee. But my body had shut down and I was drowning in fluid. Lungs had filled up and I was swollen with fluid. Not a nice experience an one I don't want to repeat. Had to be on restricted fluids 'till my body recovered. About a litre a day, not an easy task when your used to drinking a lot of fluid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE