NHS Body Mass Index Calculator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I convinced myself that BMI was rubbish and that I was big boned.

When I hit 16 stone I decided to do something and started losing some beef. It was Doc's New Year Weight loss Motivation thread back in 2012 that really kicked things off for me.

At 14 stone I still thought BMI charts were rubbish but carried on getting fitter and losing weight.

I'm now at 12 - 12 1/2 stone (6') so in the ideal range. Down from 38" to 32" waist, and fitter now at 40 than I've ever been.

It's been hard work, but worth it!

Eat less, move more.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

First let me congratulate you on your accomplishment! I still believe that BMI is a poor guide, but that said, I don't really need any such tool or a visit to a doctor to know that I'm currently way, way overweight. We need to be honest and admit that those of us who are overweight really already know it and resorting to anything like a BMI was/is only a vain attempt to hopefully disprove it.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
BMI is only ever going to be a blunt instrument, like others I've been heavily into my weights in the past and was once told I had failed a medical for a new job due to being overweight, I was so lean at the time that my forearms looked like road maps. If you carry any significant amount of muscle it completely throws off the results, I'm much smaller now and only just come into the healthy range, despite bodyfat of under 10% and a resting pulse of 46 bpm. If you're carrying a spare tire or love handles you know that it's excess baggage, the question really is do you care and are you willing to do something about it? As someone has already said, move more eat less, no secrets, no superfoods ,no expensive pills or treatments, no need for any gym or expenditure, just move.

Stuart.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
First let me congratulate you on your accomplishment! I still believe that BMI is a poor guide, but that said, I don't really need any such tool or a visit to a doctor to know that I'm currently way, way overweight. We need to be honest and admit that those of us who are overweight really already know it and resorting to anything like a BMI was/is only a vain attempt to hopefully disprove it.

BMI is a poor guide but only if you carry a lot of muscle. Many males overestimate greatly the amount of muscle they actually carry. You can be a big bulky lad and look imposing, but really your still a fat knacker with man boobs. I'm not going to get into it but I see it a lot with other hobbies I have where you come up against guys who suck the gut in and shove the chest out trying to look the part but really they are just 16/17 stone of flab fronting for an attitude.

If your in the gym three or four times a week weight training then yeah, BMI is pointless. If your not, then it isn't pointless at all.

Bowlander - massive well done to you. Many guys would have put their head in the sand, pretended they were big boned (no such thing, all bone structure is the same size on an x ray) and gave it a damn good ignoring until the Type 2 diabetes hit them and forced the to do the naked look in the mirror.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
After i registered with a new doctor, my first visit for over ten years, i saw the practice nurse. A short woman, about 5' 2'' and at least 16 stones. After my height and weight were taken 5' 10 '' and 13 stone 2 she told me my b.m.i. was very high and i should lose some weight. I can't remember anything else she said i'd stopped listening.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm overweight. When I came back off holiday I was 15st 11lbs (39yrs 6'1")

But I've lost about 12lb over the last 3 weeks with a combination of lunchtime bike rides and cutting down a little on stuff I eat at work. I feel better for it and my diet is a sustainable one. I'd got into a habit of "treating myself" with food whereas now the exercise is providing that seratonin hit.

I'm using Google fit to regulary track my weight and exercise patterns with simple achievable goals. This has helped it become habit forming. And now I view certain foods as 'work'. Bag of crisps? That's 3 lunchtime bike rides I'll have to do. This appeals to my lazy self ensuring I don't start "treating" myself again.

I'm more alert and awake, less stressed. But I'll admit I'm doing it more for my kids than for me. A colleague at work had a heart attack. That made me stop and think.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd definitely recommend one of the new smart Pedometers to not only keep a log ( and set appropriate daily target ) of daily steps but also one that sends bio-feedback once you have remained inactive/still for too long. The occasional 'beep during the course of the day for us deskbound office workers can be a much needed reminder to be active.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - gadgets!
Get a damaged SI joint that makes sitting down for long periods painful - it works a treat at stopping you lazing in the chair!
Warning - injury also inhibits some forms of exercise/comfortable sleep and cycling...

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I'd definitely recommend one of the new smart Pedometers to not only keep a log ( and set appropriate daily target ) of daily steps but also one that sends bio-feedback once you have remained inactive/still for too long. The occasional 'beep during the course of the day for us deskbound office workers can be a much needed reminder to be active.

I agree, I have a Fit-Bit and they are really good for logging what you do. I also have silly little rituals, like every time I come back from the toilet - thats 30 press ups. Every time I fill the kettle and wait for it to boil, that's 30 press ups. Every time I hang my jacket up at home...well you get the point.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I agree, I have a Fit-Bit and they are really good for logging what you do. I also have silly little rituals, like every time I come back from the toilet - thats 30 press ups. Every time I fill the kettle and wait for it to boil, that's 30 press ups. Every time I hang my jacket up at home...well you get the point.

" greasing-the-groove " works well for PT. chins especially.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im big boned.

And this is not fat; its a natural overcoat.

(Notice I get hot in summer but not cold in winter?)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had to go into hospital for major dental work on 20th July (general anesthetic job) and my pre op checks showed my BMI to be very good, I'm sixty, big belly and my bottom has disappeared so I don't hold much faith in BMI or the recommended units of booze so often talked about (its a 'made up' number not based on research really). I'm 1.85m tall and 92Kg for whatever thats worth.

I did get down to 60Kg when I had TB but I don't recommend that as a good way to loose weight :(
[h=1][/h]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, Ive got a little route planned. 3 miles, up and down, quite steep, moorland and a wood. Dog approves! :p Im gonna follow that everyday, and keep a notebook on the breakfast bar, of calories Im consuming. I've NEVER done a diet before. So see how it goes.
So far today, 3 poached eggs in 4 pieces of seeded toast, with tomato powder on top, only 646 calories.
Im gonna try and have less than two thousand calories per day. Just drink loads of water, eat more fruit, and have green tea with honey and lemon. [Instead of my usual endless cuppas, with milk and 3 sugars:27:]

Last edited:

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I'm 184cm and have been over 100kg since my late teens. Back then I did some Karate and my conscript year in the army saw me fitter than ever. Before or since. Not once during this time have I been "healthy" according to BMI figures.

I have to recommend anyone who is concerned about weight to try out LCHF though. Doesn't wirk for everyone, especially women, but for me it's been brilliant.

After having endured suburban life with toddlers for a few years, I was pushing 130kg and not feeling too clever. Didn't accomplish anything at work, trouble sleeping sometimes, bad knee, mood swings..

1 1/2 yrs later I'm down to 105kg. I feel much more smooth tempered, and stamina is comparatively through the roof. This is while still eating hearty meals that fills properly. An no excercise yet. Just lay of the carbs and up the fat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, Ive got a little route planned. 3 miles, up and down, quite steep, moorland and a wood. Dog approves! :p Im gonna follow that everyday, and keep a notebook on the breakfast bar, of calories Im consuming. I've NEVER done a diet before. So see how it goes.
So far today, 3 poached eggs in 4 pieces of seeded toast, with tomato powder on top, only 646 calories.
Im gonna try and have less than two thousand calories per day. Just drink loads of water, eat more fruit, and have green tea with honey and lemon. [Instead of my usual endless cuppas, with milk and 3 sugars:27:]

Ehm…..your addition might need a little work.
Each egg is about 140, so you're at 420 for those, and each slice of toast is reckoned to be around 130, so four of those = 520
I make that 940 or so for the one meal.

I have to stick to around 1,000 a day to lose weight. You've just eaten nearly my entire days worth…..and I haven't counted the honey in your green tea, 20 per teaspoonful, or the tomato powder (86 per ounce).

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ehm…..your addition might need a little work.
Each egg is about 140, so you're at 420 for those, and each slice of toast is reckoned to be around 130, so four of those = 520
I make that 940 or so for the one meal.

I have to stick to around 1,000 a day to lose weight. You've just eaten nearly my entire days worth…..and I haven't counted the honey in your green tea, 20 per teaspoonful, or the tomato powder (86 per ounce).

M

Mary, the eggs said each large egg was 78kcal on average, and the bread said, it was 103kcal per slice? [on the packaging]

Didnt count the honey or tomato powder though. Useful to know its 20 per ts full.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE