NHS Body Mass Index Calculator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im trying to live a bit healthier, as Ive had another health scare recently, and was just browsing the web, and came across the NHS BMI Calculator.

Its only 3 pages long. Takes under a minute for the results.

Im a 42 year old man, 183cm tall, weighing 100kg.

My BMI is 29.8.

A BMI of 30 is obese. So Im right on the edge.

Apparently, according to the results, I should weigh ideally 62kg - 84.1kg [!]

And my recommended daily calorie intake should be 2079-2673

I need to lose 27.2kg at least. [That seems like a vast amount of weight to me]

Then it gives me a 12 week plan.

Whats yours say?

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm obese without a doubt and the last time I weighed what it says is a healthy weight for me I looked like a concentration camp victim... :bluThinki

The BMI calculator also finds a lot of the England world cup rugby squad obese... yeah right :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I should be 7st 3lbs.

It's not happening.

I am pretty much vegan and my diet is gluten free.
I never struggle to manage the 'five a day', but the only way I lose weight is to live on around 1,000 calories a day….that's every day.

That's not happening either.

Best of luck and perseverance to all of you who are trying to lose weight and be healthier though :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm I take a lot of these calculators with a pinch of salt. Maybe they should have a Scottish version :rolleyes:
(Though a Glaswegian friend of mine got offended and thought I was making up the Glasgow Consciousness Scale, he thought I was having a pop about drunks).
Managed to loose 12 stone in 12 months the other year and the Doctor freaked out a little and said too much too quickly. Keeping it off is the problem however.
Hope you get better soon and slow and steady with any planned weight loss Dave.
ATB,
GB.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers fella. :) [Although different diseases our symptoms are probably very similiar.]

Reassuring to hear everyone else is on the chubby side too. :lmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If only a lb of muscle and a lb of fat acted in the same way , as they don't there seems to be little point in using this scale.

Get naked , jump up and down in front of a full length mirror - observe , review , act upon the evidence as required.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough, so are my husband and my son who still lives at home…..and the husband has just polished off his dinner and then tucked into an ice cream cone, and will probably finish the last third of one of the big toblerone bars that's sitting beside his tablet, later on too.

S'not fair :sigh:

M

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Funnily enough, so are my husband and my son who still lives at home…..and the husband has just polished off his dinner and then tucked into an ice cream cone, and will probably finish the last third of one of the big toblerone bars that's sitting beside his tablet, later on too.

S'not fair :sigh:

M

Ah, but ten years ago Mary I would have been below the threshold.... I used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight now I can't eat as your husband does. I think 4-5 miles a day with an active dog helps too :p

We're all different and I don't think there's any cut and dried system for saying what's healthy for any individual. I've certainly met plenty of people who go to the gym, have the physic but when it comes to real work have very little fitness or stamina... Horse for courses I guess?

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
They just sent me a picture...What could it mean??. :(

fat%20bastard.0_zpslwr7wft3.jpg

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
About this result
You have a BMI of 34.2. A BMI of 18.5 - 25 is considered healthy

You are obese. Losing 6st 6lb would put you in the middle of the healthy weight range

Your BMI is well above the ideal range and indicates you are obese. Being obese puts you at raised risk of health problems such as heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. Losing weight will bring signficant health improvements. See the links at the end of this tool for loads of help and advice on what you can do.

Yeah, whatever dude. Get in ma Belly. :lmao:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I convinced myself that BMI was rubbish and that I was big boned.

When I hit 16 stone I decided to do something and started losing some beef. It was Doc's New Year Weight loss Motivation thread back in 2012 that really kicked things off for me.

At 14 stone I still thought BMI charts were rubbish but carried on getting fitter and losing weight.

I'm now at 12 - 12 1/2 stone (6') so in the ideal range. Down from 38" to 32" waist, and fitter now at 40 than I've ever been.

It's been hard work, but worth it!

Eat less, move more.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
In my 20's I was into body building and was pretty big, full six pack and extremely healthy, no junk or drugs or alcohol, cycled everywhere and felt amazing, went to docs for asthma checkup and was told I was over due for a health check,
All was spot on till he did the height weight age check and announced I was seriously obese, due to weighing 16.5 stone at 5'11".
Even the doctor admitted it was rubbish,
I hurt my back and gave the weights up, I'm now 13 stone and eat what I please, but I keep the junk to a minimum, I do have a bit of a tubby going on but the doctor says it's about right and nowt to worry about, i do a physically demanding job and am outside walking every day off, my opinion is I am right for my age and life is for enjoying without the need for people to make up BMI scales or any other thing to make people feel bad for being normal.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I was under the impression the BMI was developed for gauging the state of populations and therefore not really suited for measuring individuals.

Looking in the mirror and thinking my love handles will soon need braces is enough for me to know I have to leave that bag of Doritos in the shop.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I haven't weighed myself for ages, the holes in my belt are my guide now.

Waist to hip ratio is a better guide than BMI, especially for all you athletic types!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE