NHS Body Mass Index Calculator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
That BMI-test was so depressing that I decided to whip myself into shape of former glory...

Then: 78.5 kg, 11.2% body fat, 46,3% muscle... Now, well... about the "now" we'll talk when I reach the "then" again...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So , useful motivational tools , Weekly photos ( stripped down to underwear front and side on ) will provide a direct visual feedback and initial reality check to motivate oneself , you don't need to share it with anyone besides yourself. Also Objective measuring of weight using some of the new scales so you can log not just your weight ( again weekly / or bi-weekly ) and some can measure bodyfat percentage via electrical impedience to give a more accurate idea of muscle ( useful calorie burning stuff ) to fat ( energy store ).

That BMI-test was so depressing that I decided to whip myself into shape of former glory...

Then: 78.5 kg, 11.2% body fat, 46,3% muscle... Now, well... about the "now" we'll talk when I reach the "then" again...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yep, you've turned into my personal trainer TD! :) New scales on the way from Amazon, and maybe a few dumbell exercises? Thanks for your help mate. It seems to be working.:)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yep, you've turned into my personal trainer TD! :) New scales on the way from Amazon, and maybe a few dumbell exercises? Thanks for your help mate. It seems to be working.:)

Wow!! Well Im happy to help with what I know , please don't think I'm a chiseled adonis - I struggle just as much as the next guy ( or gal ).

Dumbell exercise - you want calorie burn ? try this out ,

[video=youtube;DiwAW3g_750]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwAW3g_750 [/video]

Think reps - 3 x a week , 1 set for - get competitive but not too greedy.

So Monday do 10 reps , ( even if you feel you can do 15 )
Wednesday do 11 reps ( even if you can do 15 )
Friday do 12 reps ( guess what ... even if you feel you can do 15 )

Carry on , just one rep at a time , like a bath filling with water drip by drip over the course of a month you'll be at 21 reps and more conditioned.

The Kettlebell / dumbell swing is another GREAT exercise. [video=youtube;4tCisr5tBaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCisr5tBaE[/video]

Good luck!!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
There's no need to bother with any equipment, try this workout from Ben Greenfields 'Get Fit Guy' podcast (worth a listen). He called it 'Rock Fit'.

I did it flat out for 10 mins and was knackered!

Running helps me loads, couch to 5k is great. Working back up to half marathon distance at start of November.

uploadfromtaptalk1443900757425.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've always gone by the best tool you have to get fit is yourself.

Your own body weight should be enough, given the right exercises, and it does work.... the fit to fat to fit fella proved that. He took on the challenge of stopping exercising for 6 months and eating based on food challenges... he piled on the weight. Then in the 2nd 6 months he switched to a controlled diet and started to exercise... the first month all he did was stretch, but he used his own body weight to get into incredible shape over the following 5 months.

I lack the will power and dedication to get myself back to how I was... I constantly kid myself that I was meant to grow fat and unhealthy... deep down I know it is just laziness and greed.

BMI may be right, it might not... but I think we all know what our bodies would be if we exercised more and resisted that sunday roast. Its doesn't need science to tell someone they're out of shape or getting podgy round the middle... the evidence is in the mirror first thing in the morning and the ever expanding waistline.

Personally I took to heart something I heard years ago... if we're lucky we have 80 summers, 80 winters, 80 christmas dinners... it's not a lot of time when you look at it like that... best enjoy what you have in whatever way you want to do it because you don't get another go at it.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I don't think the Sunday roast is to blame, it's the sugar and trans fats we are consuming. Both my grandfathers worked on the land, ate 'fat bacon' for breakfast most days and a mahoosive roast on Sunday's - they were fit as fleas.

If you move more, you can eat more. Hence the 8mile run I'm doing later on before a roast dinner.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you move more, you can eat more. Hence the 8mile run I'm doing later on before a roast dinner.

Fitness wise you've come a long way haven't you Bowlander? Tips to share for everyones benefit.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Fitness wise you've come a long way haven't you Bowlander? Tips to share for everyones benefit.
My main motivator was getting out of breath playing footy with my 4 year old lad, sitting on my fat backside when he was saying 'come on dad'.

When I started to lose weight I was really quite strict about what I was eating. I worked out a cup that held 40g of cereal etc, and went for salads instead of chips.

Cutting right down on drink helped - my self control goes out the window, after a few beers I'd be scoffing crisps and biscuits.

Keep hydrated, don't confuse thirst with hunger.

I tried not to eat after 8pm, but always had a dessert with my main meal.

Activity wise, I do have dogs and spend 1 hour - 2 hours each end of the day walking them which helps.

I could never run, but SWMBO started couch to 5k - she stopped at week 3, I carried on and never stopped Forest Gump style! It's a quick way of burning some calories and if you run on trails, a good way to explore. I run 3 or 4 days a week, averaging 25km a week. Strava records all my runs and sets goals etc.

I try not to over - reward myself, a quick 2k bimble doesn't warrant a fried breakfast.

When walking the dogs I do pull-ups/push ups daily and a do a couple of kettlebell or rock fit workouts a week as well.

I aim for 10000 steps daily.

Basically, my mantra is Eat less move more.

Or in today's case - move more, eat more! 14km fell run with 500+m gain = roast lunch and 2 pints :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There's no need to bother with any equipment, try this workout from Ben Greenfields 'Get Fit Guy' podcast (worth a listen). He called it 'Rock Fit'.

I did it flat out for 10 mins and was knackered!

Running helps me loads, couch to 5k is great. Working back up to half marathon distance at start of November.

View attachment 37844

What does the note say? :) I'm struggling to read it.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Didn't realise how poor it came out, sorry - slam, pinch grip farmer carry, squat to press, bent over row, chest carry, floor press, walking lunge with a twist, thruster throw. You can use logs, tyres, breeze blocks, whatever.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Didn't realise how poor it came out, sorry - slam, pinch grip farmer carry, squat to press, bent over row, chest carry, floor press, walking lunge with a twist, thruster throw. You can use logs, tyres, breeze blocks, whatever.

I've really suffered from back issues, had physio, followed a daily routine of exercises with therabands.

Spent a weekend shifting large lumps of rubble, barrowing it about 50 yards. Moved about 5 ton. Back issues gone.
So now I just use some sacks of pebbles (from b&Q, cost £2.70) in a bag, just pickup, put down, lift over head. Repeat for a bit.

Seems it isn't about the weight, it is moving something unstable that makes me use all my core muscles. Not had major issues since.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've really suffered from back issues, had physio, followed a daily routine of exercises with therabands.

Spent a weekend shifting large lumps of rubble, barrowing it about 50 yards. Moved about 5 ton. Back issues gone.
So now I just use some sacks of pebbles (from b&Q, cost £2.70) in a bag, just pickup, put down, lift over head. Repeat for a bit.

Seems it isn't about the weight, it is moving something unstable that makes me use all my core muscles. Not had major issues since.

I slipped Two discs in my spine ( Thoracic ) in my early Twenties , figured I'd have a glass back for the rest of my life. Best thing that helped to build up and recover from that ( once the initial rest ) was heavy deadlifts , turned the area into a power zone.

I think alot of injury are due to not having fundamental conditioning in the 1st place. In a typical sedentry Office based workplace, sitting 8 to 12 hours a day can do a lot of damage , then add on the car journey , then add on the required social time sitting in the lounge.

Another great exercise for the core muscle is what i call 'sleeper carries' or more specifically i guess would be uni-lateral shoulder carries , basically carrying something big and heavy on one shoulder and walking - ( change shoulders ) - really works the stabilizers and core muscles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE