New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All good stuff.

I'm down to 79.2kg on my weekly weigh in, so BMI is now 25.0 and I am technically no longer 'overweight' - just. Feel much better for cutting out the rubbish.

Got plans for some walking and exercise bike this weekend.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
29th Dec - 15 st 8lb - 98.8kg
6th Jan - 15 st 3lb - 96.6kg
13th Jan - 14 st 13lb- 94.8kg
20th Jan - 14 st 12lb - 94.3kg

The week started well on Monday with a superb frosty morning - set off on the moor to ground truth some points with the GPS. Did 9km fairly easily but in the process slipped off a peat hag and banged my hip, shoulder and ribs, I was so sore I couldn't do any exercise until last night.

Feeling much fitter and 'lighter' - haven't worked out my BMI yet - is waist to hip ratio a better guide though?

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
Weigh in today at 14 stone 7. Getting there. Swimming seems to really help. How's everyone else doing. Anyone need any help encouragement?

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using Tapatalk

craig

Tenderfoot
Last year I started it at 19.5 stone, then lost 2.5 stone, then at Christmas put on 4lb and now lost that, I plan to loose another 2 stone this year to get down to 15 stone. I'm doing it with the wife so just got to avoid the pop and sweets. The problem is that my clothes are not fitting correctly.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Lost 4lb this week now 15stone 8lbs, i think i must just have been holding onto excess water last week as i did not lose any weight last week. Definitely noticing I'm slimmer, had to put a new hole in my belt. :)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Just found this thread - some good stuff going on :D
I started cycling Winter '10 to get to college and back, then Spring/Summer '11 I bought my own bike with panniers with the aim to 'do more camping' under my own steam. I was doing anywhere between 80-100 miles a week, doing big circular routes after work.
Since the bad weather closed in, I joined the gym in November and have been doing 2-3 sessions a week.

For more than 10 years I've hovered somewhere between 16 & 17 stone...

Weighed myself on the machine at the gym in December (21st - I've still got the receipt!).

Drum roll...

15st 4lb / 97.0kg!

I've no idea what damage Christmas did, but I'm back the gym tonight and will keep peeps in the loop. Keep it up people, tis all good :D

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
21/12/11 - 15st 4lb / 97.0kg
23/01/12 - 15st 3lb / 96.8kg
Well I did have Xmas to contend with and with this body frame I'll never be slim - I'm doing weights, so with muscle weighing more for the same mass of fat (think that's right) then I'm happy to hover around the low 15's as long as the podge thats left (belly, middle tyre etc) continues to disappear :D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a mixed fruit breakfast with about a litre of water and a multi vit thing, a fist sized amount of muesli as a mid morning snack, with fruit on it, same for lunch and afternoon snack, I eat fruit when ever i feel hungry, ever snack or meal is accompanied by a at least 500ml of water, evening meals are what ever we have, I munch choccy, biscuits with my brews(tea or coffee or hot chocolate or anything hot sweet and wet:D) drink cider (one of my five a day isn't it?) run most days with circuits before and after, I try to push my self to improve fitness while still not denying anything I or my family enjoy(it isn't fun going to dinner with a calorie counter) I firmly believe that happiness is the best motivator and goal, if your miserable and not enjoying what your doing you will not keep it up and make a life style, it will just be that thing you do when you cant see you winkle any more, where as being happy healthy and active makes you take the choices that maintain your happy state. if running to loose weight go at a speed where you can easily maintain a conversation, even if that speed is walking. but most of all smile it makes people wonder what your up too!:cool:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
My weight gaining update:

Yesterday weighed in at 77,9kg (up from 74,3 starter weight).

Last few weeks have been tough shoving all that food down. Cottage cheese, a lot of meat, eggs and milk among other things.

Target weight is 4,1kg away and then I'll ease up on the eating and try to hold that weight while "converting" the fat to muscle.

I still have a feeling that losing weight is much more simple than gaining it! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I still have a feeling that losing weight is much more simple than gaining it! :)

It is. Its far harder in some ways.

Jaan , you seem to be getting in a lot of protein which is no bad thing but if I may suggest you try ample amounts of Carbs which seem to make people hungrier whilst proteins sate appetites. Also don't neglect your EFA ( Healthy Fats) which will contain plenty of calories ( Calories + protein are required for healthy weight gain, just don't focus on the protein ) which are easy to get from nuts ( walnuts/almonds/brazil nuts ).

You need an excess of Calories 1st to gain good weight and then Protein to Cement those gains into something more desireable. If you just focus on protein heavy foods you may actually be sabotaging your own efforts.

Look here and research " Thermic effects of Protein."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299424-calories-burned-digesting-protein/

HTH

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
It is. Its far harder in some ways.

Jaan , you seem to be getting in a lot of protein which is no bad thing but if I may suggest you try ample amounts of Carbs which seem to make people hungrier whilst proteins sate appetites. Also don't neglect your EFA ( Healthy Fats) which will contain plenty of calories ( Calories + protein are required for healthy weight gain, just don't focus on the protein ) which are easy to get from nuts ( walnuts/almonds/brazil nuts ).

You need an excess of Calories 1st to gain good weight and then Protein to Cement those gains into something more desireable. If you just focus on protein heavy foods you may actually be sabotaging your own efforts.

Look here and research " Thermic effects of Protein."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299424-calories-burned-digesting-protein/

HTH

Yes I'm well aware of what I'm doing and this isn't the first time. My highest priority is 1g of protein for every lbs of bodyweight I have - I have been lacking in this the most. I eat a lot of carbs and fats daily: nuts, almonds, olive oil, wholegrain pasta, rice, bread, fruit and so forth. The full deal.

Protein is quite useless on it's own but for the amount of muscle I need to gain it's essential.

Thanks for the article, I've never read those on Livestrong! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE