New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry for sticking my oar in again but I can't help thinking that some of ya's are trying to loose wieght too quickly. It's better to loose those pounds slowly & steadily over a long period & combine it with a real long term desire to change your life styles & live & eat more healthily in the future.............
If you're loosing weight just to loose weight & by the quickest way possible then as soon as you give up ( & you will without a long term aim) not only will you rapidly regain the weight so painfully lost but you will put on even more.(yoyo effect)
Frustration is the worst enemy of dieters & the best diet is to eat everything but is smaller quantities......for example if you feel like some chocolate, don't deprive yourselves but just eat a few squares /mouthfuls & not the whole bar/packet:rolleyes:

Good luck to you all anyway & hold on in there !!!

This is all true, and 'crash diets' don't usually lead to long term weight loss and are unsustainable long term.

People tend to gain weight slowly and this is the best way to lose it.

If somone consumes a calorie surplus of just one Mars bar a day,this is almost half a pound weight gain a week, so over a year nearly 25 lb! But it works the other way too.

Good point about the chocolate. I know women are particularly prone to the desire for a chocolate fix, and a popular solution is the low calorie drinking chocolate like Options. 38 calories a mug.

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi guys,

wee update I finished of last year at 15stone 5 and first weigh in of the New yea 15stone dead. This could have been many things I dont think its a 5lb loss in the first week.

Anyway I found this on the net and I have been trying to do this 3 times a week. Blooming hard work and its not about being fast just doing the exercise. Have a look and see what you think. Its pretty similar to exercises mentioned on here but it puts them into a cct training like set which I like (ie one set and you are done)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9LwDBWW0

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I found that when I started doing more runnig and walking, getting a decent set of running shoes was very important. I'd thought that a relatively cheap pair would be "ok" till I got a bit better at running, but it was a bad decision as I found the exrcise was less enjoyable and I wound up hurting my feet and ankles. I went to a runnig shop and did a longer fitting with a running machine and videoing of stride/footfall etc, and gota more expensive pair, but I felt much better and kept at the running...

Good luck with the weight loss programs this year....

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Lost another 2lbs since the 29/12/11 bringing my total to 1st 5lb starting 7/11/11. Still sticking to the no sweets/no crisps/no coke. Finding time to swim over the holidays has been harder. so only done about 1/2 as much as hoped.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Not sure will have chance tomorrow so .....

31 Dec 18' 3
7 Jan 18' 1
13 Jan 18'

In BMI obsession that is .5 drop, suggestion is that consistent 3-4 Ibs each fortnight is sustainable rather than yoyo prone. Stopping grazing in the office is will power but getting easier with the plus side that I have not been to the ATM at work yet this year!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
why not worth a try......

I weigh myself quite regularly. At least once a year:rolleyes:

So far on the new year waist slimming plan. I have started eating a bit healier.............

And Got fatter:cussing:

Time to get the turbo trainer on the bike me thinks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
why not worth a try......

I weigh myself quite regularly. At least once a year:rolleyes:

So far on the new year waist slimming plan. I have started eating a bit healier.............

And Got fatter:cussing:

Time to get the turbo trainer on the bike me thinks.

You may want to have a look into The Paleo Diet and research Rob Wolff , the Paleo podcast on Itunes is free and available on I-tunes.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
For those who work out - don't sweat if you get heavier. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

I was 74,3kg in December, scale showed 76,0 yesterday. 4 kilos to my goal of 80! :)

I'm currently eating like a madman just to get to my target weight ASAP. Once I'm there I plan to lay off the carbs and substitute them with more proteins. Workout remains the same. Then I should slowly replace the fat with muscle with the weight staying the same.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I see what you meant about the BMI thing. I filled in the details and my current weight (14st-5lb) and my hieght of 5'8" and I'm obese. Not just a little overweght but obese. This with a 35" waist. So like Southey suggested I'm taking the advice given to me and tossing it out the widnow.

Bit late to join in on the fun here but I will be giving it a go nice and slowly over the next few weeks.

Good luck fella's.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Right. Chuff it.

Been having a word with myself and will probably have serious words with myself later, but I'm in.

Montag 16/01/12 = Day One.

Thanks for the motivation folks, and good luck all.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good stuff, guys, it's looking good.

I'm down to 80.5 kg (was 83.6 on 30th Dec). Can see the difference in the mirror.

Makes me realise how much rubbish I was eating before. I have the kind of workplace with open boxes of chocolates, choccy biccies (including choc hobnobs, which IMHO should be rescheduled as a Category A drug) everywhere, and I used to just graze on them whether I was hungry or not.

Keep going guys!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I see what you meant about the BMI thing. I filled in the details and my current weight (14st-5lb) and my hieght of 5'8" and I'm obese. Not just a little overweght but obese. This with a 35" waist. So like Southey suggested I'm taking the advice given to me and tossing it out the widnow.

Bit late to join in on the fun here but I will be giving it a go nice and slowly over the next few weeks.

Good luck fella's.

Best advice , strip naked in front of a mirror and jump up and down. Nearly all the bits that jiggle.... thats fat. If it doesn't jiggle , its muscle.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
29th Dec - 15 st 8lb - 98.8kg
6th Jan - 15 st 3lb - 96.6kg
13th Jan - 14 st 13lb- 94.8kg

I've been doing loads of hill walking (not jogging which was giving my shins some grief) over the last 10 days and am feeling much fitter. Had a couple of lazy days driving around on an ATV and have eaten a bit too much, so will have to get back to it tomorrow!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
29th Dec - 15 st 8lb - 98.8kg
6th Jan - 15 st 3lb - 96.6kg
13th Jan - 14 st 13lb- 94.8kg

I've been doing loads of hill walking (not jogging which was giving my shins some grief) over the last 10 days and am feeling much fitter. Had a couple of lazy days driving around on an ATV and have eaten a bit too much, so will have to get back to it tomorrow!

Great stuff!! Keep going , once you find just walking within a set distance or time frame too easy , take a small rucksack with a light load , as you get fitted add some more equipment but always keep it fun!!!!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Right a little update ;)

remembered to weigh myself Monday, and found I only weigh 17 stone. Not too depressing as my brother (who is fit and has real muscles) is around 16:rolleyes:

So Monday starts well. Get the bike onto the turbo trainer. Tyres have gone down a little, but I think they will be fine. So on the bike, and I remember that last time I was on it 1 was far too easy so I start off on level 3 (out of 5).

I manage a whole 10 minutes, before I collapse in a heap on the floor. Turns out the tyres were a little flatter than I thought, so out comes the hand pump for some more exercise.;)

Tuesday is volunteer with the county rangers day. So I don't need the exercise bike, especially as it's a brisk 10 min walk just to get to this weeks work site:lmao:. Although I had a little technical difficulty getting there, as my hand brake was frozen on:banghead:.

So we're up to today, this morning I had a nice gentle drive to the local garage. Followed by a more than brisk walk home in a rather heavy shower, which of course stopped just as I arrived back:umbrella:.

So far my week isn't going to plan for getting on the exercise bike:p

joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE