New Woodlore Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If people weren't prepared to pay that sort of money, Woodlore would very quickly go bust. It's arguably the most famous of the Bushcraft schools and in many people's eyes that makes it the best. Those of us who frequent these pages may be a little better informed than the general public but I bet all of those on here with their own Bushcraft schools would love to earn that sort of money

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Maybe we need to look at this a different way. I enjoy my local comedy club, nothing fancy, £10 for the evening and you never really know what you're going to get. There are good comics and there are bad ones, but I've seen some big names before they hit tv and now charge upwards of £50 to get as close as I did at the club. And why? Because their perceived worth has gone up and people have a level of expectation to be fulfilled.

I mean if you like playing football and were offered the chance to have a days coaching from David Beckham or someone from Crawley town FC wouldn't you want the Beckham day? Wouldn't you be prepared to pay a bit more for it?

If I could afford it I would do a day with Ray. I perceive that I would be getting a level of knowledge that I've seen him display on TV. But I am also prepared to gamble lesser sums on the unknown and come away, on the whole, pleasantly surprised.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
If people weren't prepared to pay that sort of money, Woodlore would very quickly go bust. It's arguably the most famous of the Bushcraft schools and in many people's eyes that makes it the best. Those of us who frequent these pages may be a little better informed than the general public but I bet all of those on here with their own Bushcraft schools would love to earn that sort of money

As a matter of interest myself and 2 others on the forum run a bushcraft school, we charge £75 for our most expensive course, and the reason being we want to teach people bushcraft and make a living, not extortionately charge people for knowledge, we also run a barter system, If you want to come on our course, but cant afford the fee, if you have a skill to share eg bow making,trapping etc etc we'll give you a days bushcraft in return, money is not the be all and end all
but thats just us and the way we run things
ATB Jono :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I personally disagree with the idea that the price set by free market economics is necessarily morally right. I think many folk would argue that the radical increase in top directors or celebrities pay over the last 20 years so that they are often 50 times the average wage is morally wrong even though it is clearly what the market will stand. I don't actually feel that Ray Meers is in that territory and I doubt he sees a large percentage of the £7000 income from this day. Even if he did he won't earn that many days a year so it is not in the same league as football wages or bank director wages. No money could compensate me for the loss of persoanal privacy that celebrities suffer, imagine not being able to go to the pub for a beer or several with your mates without some ****** shoving a camera in your face and selling it the press. No thanks.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I personally disagree with the idea that the price set by free market economics is necessarily morally right

I hope I didn't give that impression. Unfortunately, morals seldom come into business. For example, the company I work for laid a load of people off. Suddenly the payroll was less so the directors got massive bonuses for all their effective cost cutting

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Imagine you are at the board meeting, two options are on the table, someone pipes up that option A is a poor moral choice and we shouldn't really do that and opt for B instead. Then the finance director says option B is "uneconomic". Which option do you think wins out?
I have always been a huge fan of the economist Fritz Schumacher. In his seminal book "Small is Beautiful, Economics as if people mattered" he shows how economics which was introduced as a means to an end has become an end in itself, it should serve us to help us build a better society not be our master overriding decisions which should be taken on more important grounds. Not much that can be converted directly to a quantifiable amount of money is very important in life so trying to put a monetary value on everything, even happiness so you can number crunch it alongside everything else is just daft.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I think footballers get a hard time over their wages (not that I feel sorry for them!). It's not their fault that the TV companies are throwing that much money into the game and if anyone should get rich from it it should be the guys with the talent that people are paying to watch. Yes some of them have very questionable morals but there are always people like that in every walk of life. Fair play to them for insisting they get their share of the fortunes involved.
As for Woodlore they are asking people to pay that bit extra for the reputation and prestige that they have built up over the years. Nothing wrong with that. Mercedes, Rolex etc all do the same. You want what is perceived to be the best? You'll have to pay up. If it was easily affordable for everyone it wouldn't have nearly as much appeal.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've said much the same Red but is seems some folks expect a 'celeb' to do it all for nothing. Imagine if he charged £10, you would grow old waiting for a spare place on a course.

"Of those available for appearances at staff awards parties – a task that usually involves handing out prizes and telling a few, humorous anecdotes – among the most expensive were comedian Hugh Dennis (£7,500), Brian Blessed (£6,500), Christopher Biggins (£5,000) and Barbara Windsor (£5,000)"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...ice-of-celebrity-what-stars-cost-to-hire.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE