New Woodlore Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ahoy fellow bushcrafters!

Woodlore have introduced three new courses to their ever so extensive repertoire. 'Fire lighting techniques', 'Rekindling the Fundamentals' and 'walk in the woods with Ray Mears'.
I have completed the Fundamental Bushcraft course with woodlore and I absolutely loved it, I had a great time and can't wait to get back to do another course. The new courses they are offering look great, with fire lighting being one of the most important skills of bushcraft and the 'rekindling the fundamentals' course revising the skills that can easily be forgotten without the facilities to practice them (land use, free time etc.). And of course the 'walk in the woods with Ray Mears', which I thought would be fantastic, until I looked at the details of the 'course'. Of course a walk in the woods with the very man himself would be sublime but £350 for a nature walk seems rather extensive to me. The walk lasts the best part of a day and I realised that that price is over half the amount that my Fundamental course cost, only the fundy was six days long and I met Ray at it anyway. Why the massive price? I have massive respect for Ray and his company, but this is just a bit too much I think.
Rant over.
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this course and its pricing, more details can be found on the woodlore website: www.raymears.com.
No affiliation etc etc (not that you would suspect it)
Cheers

outdoorpaddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
£350? A day with a celebrity, this seems a reasonable charge; some celebrities charge £30+++++ for a signed photograph.

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
It's ridiculous, its more the brand name and franchise that would rack up the dosh requirement than the actual content, unless he is providing a lawn banquet at some point that consists of caviar served on solid gold crockery, as well as handing out personalised Damascus blades with platinum scales?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Am I being cynical or did the 'Rekindling the Fundamentals' course suddenly appear after another company that's just started up offered the same type of course :rolleyes:

It's even pitched cheaper but when you look at it the Woodlore course is self catering as opposed to fully catered for the other companies course.

As for a walk with Ray costing £350 it's a bit steep considering the numbers attending but I'm sure it'd be a great walk with the man.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think some folk will gladly pay it, you can't blame him really when he's running a business

I reckon those days will probably sell out quicker than the other courses

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I just don't get why some Woodlore courses are self-catered. I was actually booked on their campcraft course, deposit paid, but then just couldn't face driving all the way down there, getting in food, taking cooking gear etc., so in the end couldn't be bothered to go. Catering for "students" saves time for teaching and adds value to the course, yet their courses are priced at the top of the range anyway! Why do they do it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Subject to how hard the walking is I may well treat myself to this :) He knows his stuff, is respected by his peers, many would not be here if it was not for him and who knows, this forum may not be here without the chaps raising awareness of the hobby. Its not expensive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its funny how many people seem to want to tell others how they should, or should not, spend their money.

I wonder if they are equally happy to be told how their money should be spent?

Having spent a day with John Lord (just me and my wife) I know how much can be learned from an expert in a day - and what a treat it is.

If the courses are overpriced, they won't sell. If they are priced right, they will sell.

I'm willing to make a bet which is the case. If they sell at that price, whuy on earth should they be sold for less?

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
That's an interesting point British Red, I wasn't trying to impose on anyone how to spend their money, just bringing a point of discussion that I though might be interesting. Of course a walk in the woods with Ray Mears would be absolutely amazing, but I would just wonder, in a class of twenty, how much one on one contact would you have with him? I remember on my fundamental course which was a class of about 15, sometimes it was difficult to get a word in. I know Ray is the most expert in the field of bushcraft, in knowledge and in teaching, but realistically, how much can you learn in under a day? The money side of it of course is up to the individual, but to someone like myself who is in their last year of school with little time on their hands for a job, it just seems a lot of money for what it really is.
Thanks for the replies, Keep them coming!

outdoorpaddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If its a good experience - its sellable. What is £350 after all? To some its a couple of hours wages. To others its several months disposable income.

A day in the woods with Ray Mears or a wing mirror for a certain brand of car?

A day in the woods with Ray Mears or a day on a cruise ship?

A day in the woods with Ray Mears or a few months Sky branded "brain candy"

Its all relative to how you value it

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Its funny how many people seem to want to tell others how they should, or should not, spend their money.

Having spent a day with John Lord (just me and my wife) I know how much can be learned from an expert in a day - and what a treat it is.

If the courses are overpriced, they won't sell. If they are priced right, they will sell.

I'm willing to make a bet which is the case. If they sell at that price, whuy on earth should they be sold for less?

Well said.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Well said
If I still lived in the UK and did not have child care to consider then I would be tempted to book

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think that is called reacting to competitive market conditions nothing fundamentally wrong with that TBH...

I agree, there's nothing at all wrong with that and good luck to them.

It's just that Martin and I were looking at it slightly differently based on other info :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE