New Trousers.... how have yours been?..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
I am looking for some slightly harder trouser than my beloved craghoppers, that do a great job untill you kneel in a puddle!

So now summer is over time for some new trousers so..5.11 Fjallraven or ventile?

Use would be general bush wear in the UK mainly dont want somthing that i cant wear in the warmer months as can always layer up in the winter.

Any one got any feedback/ thuoght on thiers?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm a big fan of 5.11.
I wear the canvas tacticals a lot.
Scottish winter to Saudi summer.

I've not tried the other brands so I can't comment on them.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have lots of Fjällräven foresters and greenlanders that I convinced a former employer to fork out for. They have all survived a lot of wear and tear over the past five or six years. I prefer the pocket layout on the forester over the greenlander, but the greenlander is better for the really cold wet days. They will need to be reproofed now and again.

"...dont want somthing that i cant wear in the warmer months..."

I wouldn't wear the foresters on really hot days (35 - 38 C-ish) but have worn them on warm days while working hard and felt quite comfy.

I have heard good things about 5.11 trousers and plan to to get some next spring.

Alternatively you could look out a pair of old British Army denims or US M65 trousers and proof those.

:)

Last edited:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I just got a 5.11 taclite as a cheaper alternative to Fjallraven (of which I have a Greenland and a Forrester). They are very good value, much better than Kiwis: fabric is more silent and overall nicer. Leg pockets are smaller and less comfortable than FR but back pockets are really good, with a slanted opening.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yep- i have both 5.11 taclites and the canvas ones- smashing bit of kit. You can get them for around £35 posted online. the Taclites slightly better suited to outdoor activities as they dry quicker, the cotton ones just a nice casual trouser.

Another option you could look at are the Helikon SFUs (e.g. http://www.military1st.co.uk/products/sp-sfu-nr-11-helikon-sfu-trousers-nyco-ripstop-coyote.html )- I have a pair in Coyote colour, but the wrong size (worn for only an hour)- so depending on your waist size (these are about a 33inch with a long 34 inch leg), I could send them onto you for a few notes.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I got a pair of heavy duck cotton/canvas Timberland work trousers for £12. They're a muted brown similar to coyote and last ages. They might not have the flash bushcraft name on them but they walk the walk. Money saved can be spent on other kit so I was more than happy! Had them for over a year now and they're showing absolutely no signs of wear after repeated use.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I like the Fjallraven Greenlanders, also a pair of Hydratic-lined Foresters (or maybe another name ?) which are more or less waterproof. The latter are too hot for summer.

Haglofs Midfjell pants are also good - a bit trendier. Their Rugged Mountain Pants are also very good but are a bit tight-cut for me.

My current favourites are Extreme Outdoor Clothing River Pants in Tactel, superb cut and design and ultra tough.

I have had Ventile and double-Ventile trousers made up by Hilltrek and they are good but a bit funny when they get wet as they go stiff. They are also quite easy to tear.

Of the army surplus options, I like the German moleskins if you can find a quality reproduction. The Danish combat trouser is absolutely superb but you have to like wearing camo.

I have had Craghoppers Kiwis but find them too wide at the bottom of the leg.

I am always in search of….the perfect trouser!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have various models of 5.11, Fjallraven and Ventiles - they all are better than Kiwis!
As I write this I am wearing Taclite trousers and shirt....having just got in :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've seen U tube videos with people sitting or kneeling directly on snow with no apparent discomfort ie apparently not getting wet - which type of trousers might they be/what spec would I need to look for to be sure I got that type?

(It may be some of those already mentionned but I can't tell from the narratives)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've seen U tube videos with people sitting or kneeling directly on snow with no apparent discomfort ie apparently not getting wet - which type of trousers might they be/what spec would I need to look for to be sure I got that type?

(It may be some of those already mentionned but I can't tell from the narratives)

Maybe the snow was dry? Like a really really cold powder snow?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE