New to Ventile,,,some questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a Ventile smock and have looked at quite a few,( online), over the last few days and a couple of questions have come up.The offerings i've looked at are The Kestrel Smock,,the Snowsled Classic,,Hiltrek Breamar. My question is are these all about the same thickness of Ventile,,quality etc.I'm just looking at the features at the moment and getting over the fact that what i thought was Euro's is actually Pounds,,,, arggg.
I wear wool allot and want something to wear over top for hiking and for cooler/colder weather and also for warm weather over a baeslayer. Don't really intent for it to be a rain coat but showers happen and i know it can handle it.. I have a swedish army smock i'm modding but wanted to invest in something a little nicer. Any advice would be welcome.

bill

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
OK here we go by a Ventile nut who's spent far too much money in search of the perfect Ventile jacket and finally found there isn't one ! :

a) Off the shelf :

Westwinds Tempest 2-3 layer : *. Very waterproof and well made but weird lower pockets and hood design. Sold it on.
Westwinds single layer smock : ****. Really well made, will leak eventually though as it's only single layer. Light and fast-drying.
Hilltrek single layer smock : *** : Same as above. Cheaper, hood too small so ask for a larger size. Really great people and service.
Hilltrek Glencoe jacket double layer ** : good jacket, very waterproof, more for shooting than walking, hood too small so ask for a larger size. Great service
SAS Ventile-type Smock (basic) by SASSKit: **** Excellent design and workmanship although quite a fussy design if used just as a walking jacket and sized HUGE. Double-layered over hood and shoulders so keeps rain out well and dries quite fast. Great service. Despite the name, a "jacket" design. Not available at present, I think.

b) Made to order :

Hiltrek my-own-design double layer smock : ****. Bigger hood specified and chest-level hand-warmer pockets. Superb and not so expensive. Best bet for my money. Another gentleman from across the pond has picked up this design and had Hilltrek make one for him.
SAS Force 8 smock in real Ventile with lower handwarmer pockets specified by SASSKit: **** Just about perfect but a fussy design for hillwalking. Jacket design. Don't think they do them anymore.

Just my personal opinions

Nonsuch

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry for not getting back to you on HF Bill

Nonsuch is better qualified to give you the answers, but the only two I've had are the Snowsled Classic and the Kestrel. Side by side the Kestrel wins hands down with the added lining, my Classic was second hand but from what I remember the Kestrel fabric has a better feel to it.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Here's mine, I got issued one of these in Gore-Tex when Firemore was known as Slioch. I really liked the simple design so bought one in Ventile, happy to say it's been a great top.I wear it as a windproof but the fabric offers so much more, hard to find anything wrong with it really. http://www.firemore.com/garments/05_mt.html

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love Ventile and my favourite is the Bison Bushcraft one ...but I am not sure if they are still available....
After that then the Westwinds Antarctica is my choice....

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
Thanks everyone for the replies. Nonsuch,,,,a ventile addict,,,just what i need. Sass's website is under construction and i can't seem to use Hilltreks email address so i may just have to go elsewhere, but The Kestrel is calling me . I just have to get over the cost. I'm going to need another day or two for the rationalizations to fully embed.

bill
Ventile Virgin

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Bill,
The Kestrel will be a lot warmer than just a single layer.

Once I'm on the move I heat up a lot,therefore I prefer the singles.

Tom.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I can only vouch for HillTrek as its the only Ventile I've worn but I love it. I too basically pinched Nonsuch's design ( I went in with a pic and said "I'd like something like this please" to which they said "oh yeah, we've seen that picture a lot recently!"

I had the following mods: double layer Ventile; zipped sides; compass pockets on both upper sleeves; higher hand warmer pocket for use with a hip belt. The hood design has also changed so is now pretty big as standard with volume adjuster and wired peak.

Excellent service and just phone them up and I'm sure they can sort you out. (I'm only 15 mins away so nice and easy for me!)

Before that I did like the look of the Kestrel :)

ATB

KP

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Kilted; is that pic available to view.??

bill

I've been searching the threads looking for it but I'm just home from a night shift and have been up for 26 hours straight and getting a little delirious. I will look again when I get up but perhaps Nonsuch will
Be able to locate it quicker

ATB,

KP

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The Kestrel is indeed single layer ventile but with a waterproof breathable lining.

I personally found this to make it a lot warmer but that may just be me and my metabolism.

Hilltrek really are great to deal with.
I've had a custom made double from them but again too warm for me and sold on.

I have a single layer Braemar at the moment with a compass pocket on each breast, it's great.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
Thanks Barn Owl; i'm going to start with a single,,probably made by hilltrek,,,i'm in conversation with them now, but they haven't said whether they can do what i want yet and we haven't talked $$ yet . Because of the time diff there's about a half day delay in communication.

bill

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I can only vouch for HillTrek as its the only Ventile I've worn but I love it. I too basically pinched Nonsuch's design ( I went in with a pic and said "I'd like something like this please" to which they said "oh yeah, we've seen that picture a lot recently!"

I had the following mods: double layer Ventile; zipped sides; compass pockets on both upper sleeves; higher hand warmer pocket for use with a hip belt. The hood design has also changed so is now pretty big as standard with volume adjuster and wired peak.

Excellent service and just phone them up and I'm sure they can sort you out. (I'm only 15 mins away so nice and easy for me!)

Before that I did like the look of the Kestrel :)

ATB

KP

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cost was there for the modifications? I've toyed with getting a ventile smock but I can't bear to buy another olive coloured jacket...

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
It certainly wasn't cheap! I think my mods added about 80 quid to the cost... It was the most expensive jacket I have bought! If you want specifics, I'll happily PM you.

KP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE