New Scope!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've decided Im going to do my DSC1 then DSC2 and join a syndicate. Going after mainly Roe, for food.

Im still thinking of which rifle to get, Tikka T3, Sako 85, or maybe even a scout rifle, but I'll probably go with a classic, like the sako 85 hunter stainless or finnlight first rifle in a .270 win

Anyway just got my first scope! Dead Excited, Arrives saturday.

Its a new Schmidt Bender Classic 6x42 A7 scope.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
S&B you've just bought yourself one of the finest quality pieces of optics available there good shout. The tikka T3 is a solid platform, real workhorse good quality rifles. If all a little bit lively on recoil with faster larger cartridges. Any thoughts on caliber? Never used a sako 85 but I have no doubt they'll be a fine rifle.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
S&B you've just bought yourself one of the finest quality pieces of optics available there good shout. The tikka T3 is a solid platform, real workhorse good quality rifles. If all a little bit lively on recoil with faster larger cartridges. Any thoughts on caliber? Never used a sako 85 but I have no doubt they'll be a fine rifle.

Thanks Mick. .270win seems to be a popular choice.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks Mick. .270win seems to be a popular choice.

Solid choice. Plenty of stopping power and has the legs to reach out to range if you need to. And of course plenty of options inside the caliber with different manufacturers and loads. Recoil can be a little bit sharp but not too bad compared to some. I no longer have my FAC just an SGC. But I've reapplied. It's the little .22 plinking I miss more than anything!

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Solid choice. Plenty of stopping power and has the legs to reach out to range if you need to. And of course plenty of options inside the caliber with different manufacturers and loads. Recoil can be a little bit sharp but not too bad compared to some. I no longer have my FAC just an SGC. But I've reapplied. It's the little .22 plinking I miss more than anything!

.270win is pretty friendly compared to the .30-06spr of 7*64.
110gr Barnes TTSX is a nice one for pretty much anything deer.
.270win might be a tat light for boar, but thats more a continental consideration.
.308win is also a good option as an all-round as are 7*57 and 6,5*55SM.

I use .30-06spr for pretty much anything. A bit overkill on roe-deer, but being that boar is always around. I'll gladly have a bit more kick than having to get the dog for tracking (ok, not entirely true...)
8*57JS is the tool of choice for blood-tracking and sometimes for driven hunts.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
30-06 is indeed a fine caliber for larger game. As you said though a tad bit severe for roe. .308 win is a brilliant all rounder and I've used it to shoot competition at 800m so long range accuracy isn't a problem. Not that I'm suggesting people EVER attempt to take game at that range it's paper punching only.
Ever had any experience with 12 bore slug on boar? I've herd a lot of Belgian and French boar hunters are switching to slug and even .50 discarding sabot over heavy hitting rifles for safety reasons as they tend to dig in and not ricochet.
6.5 grendel is the one that's really shocked me recently tried one recently on a range day and looking at ballistic testing it seems to do catastrophic damage with both temporary and permanent cavitation closer to that of much higher energy rounds. Obviously no comparison to .280 win or 30-06 spr but measures up and imho outperforms intermediates like 30-30 win
Had a few shot of a .338 lap mag there too and was VERY impressed indeed! But that isn't a feasible caliber. I've always loved long range target and game was a little secondary to it for me so have more experience with larger, and higher velocity calibers. And some real exotics too. Been very much privalidged in that respect. One day when the time comes (hopefully in a very long time) someone will scatter me on stickledown range!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowji john

Silver Trader
I too have just looked at 6.5 grendel - it is new to me and seems to be a great option both for hunting and target

I ummed and aahed for ages and played with the idea of Sako, tikka, BRNO etc

In the end I decided on a Tikka T3 - I went for 308 because that is what I was familiar with.

I also own .22 / .223 / .375 - the latter for wild life security work abroad

You have chosen a great scope - I use Night Force & Sightron

J

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I too have just looked at 6.5 grendel - it is new to me and seems to be a great option both for hunting and target

I ummed and aahed for ages and played with the idea of Sako, tikka, BRNO etc

In the end I decided on a Tikka T3 - I went for 308 because that is what I was familiar with.

I also own .22 / .223 / .375 - the latter for wild life security work abroad

You have chosen a great scope - I use Night Force & Sightron

J

It baffles me how they managed to squeeze so much energy out of the .220 Russian case (imo one of the worst calibers ever devised) it's a great all rounder and as time comes on May even be seen as a .22X centerfire alternative and become a little easier on the wallet.

Tikka T3 is as I said imo a great rifle platform. There's well priced and amazing quality

Last edited:

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
30-06 is indeed a fine caliber for larger game. As you said though a tad bit severe for roe. .308 win is a brilliant all rounder and I've used it to shoot competition at 800m so long range accuracy isn't a problem. Not that I'm suggesting people EVER attempt to take game at that range it's paper punching only.
Ever had any experience with 12 bore slug on boar? I've herd a lot of Belgian and French boar hunters are switching to slug and even .50 discarding sabot over heavy hitting rifles for safety reasons as they tend to dig in and not ricochet.

In germany it is (in most Bundesländer) only allowed for kill-shots when tracking wounded game. Mostly because of the completely unpredictable flightpath of the slug.

mick91 said:
Had a few shot of a .338 lap mag there too and was VERY impressed indeed! But that isn't a feasible caliber.

How come its not feasible? It quickly gaining popularity in Germany. High energy, flat trajectory. Ideal for driven hunts and longer shots.

Two weeks ago I had a nice Saturday with a roebuck in the morning and a triplet boars in the evening. All of them with 9,3*74R. Although the ballistics resemble a banana, its really comfortable to shoot, damage is less than with the .30-06 and lead-free ammo and especially the boars never knew what hit them.

Like it, not only for the boars but also quite useable on roedeer.

Next weekend in Germany we're going to some testing with different calibers on roedeer that have been killed in traffic and were saved for the testing.
Its part of a bloodtracking course i'm helping out with to show the participants what to look for with the different faulty shots (neck gone bad, gut, liver, stomache etc.).
If people are interested i can make some pictures of the different patterns you get at the hit point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE