First Blood .22

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Today I managed to get out with the new rifle, its a CZ 452 short barell synthetic stock, very nice. I like air gun shooting & have done it many years on & off, im supprised how alike the 2 are, anyway, onwards...

As the rifle is new I had to zero the girl before I could hunt or even be safe, so, off I went to the farm, in a rush I forgot my block of wood I was going to as a back stop, a nice thick bit about 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot & 3 inch thick & the A4 paper I was going to use as a targit, I just draw a dot in the middle to aim at, it gives plenty of room to zero on.

So I fogot the lot, oh well, should be able to make do some how.

As luck would have it a very big tree had been felled last week, the stump cut flat on the outer side, perfect. I used my biro to draw dots on the side to zero on.

50 rounds later & a distance of about 60 meters later, job done...;)

Time to hunt...:)

Taking a slow walk around the farm pickings where slim, 13:30 & very cold the bunnies where resting below ground, then one bolted from some brush very close, ideal for 12g not good for .22 rifle with scope, bide my time & take a safe shot...

10 mins later along a hedge, there she was about 60 yards, she see me as I raised the rifle, she hopped once or twice then stopped to look, a standing shot, strong cross wind, click & thud, she went bonkers, I started to dout the shot, reloaded & took another, click thud, she was done.

The first shot wad heart & lung due to the windage, the second, who knows, she was moving around a fair bit.

After that just to see what I could do at 100 yards, I took 5 shots at an offcut of the tree stump, I did ok, about 4_5 inch group, strong cross wind, not bad for my first .22 shooting in 20 years.

On returning home & skinni.g the bunny, it was a clean shot after all, perfect lung shot through the sholder, the second bit higher & an inch back, no wonder she had blood from the mouth bless her, still, she is respected & in the pot...:)

Pictures to come when I sort this bloomin phone app...

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Today I managed to get out with the new rifle, its a CZ 452 short barell synthetic stock, very nice. I like air gun shooting & have done it many years on & off, im supprised how alike the 2 are, anyway, onwards...

As the rifle is new I had to zero the girl before I could hunt or even be safe, so, off I went to the farm, in a rush I forgot my block of wood I was going to as a back stop, a nice thick bit about 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot & 3 inch thick & the A4 paper I was going to use as a targit, I just draw a dot in the middle to aim at, it gives plenty of room to zero on.

So I fogot the lot, oh well, should be able to make do some how.

As luck would have it a very big tree had been felled last week, the stump cut flat on the outer side, perfect. I used my biro to draw dots on the side to zero on.

50 rounds later & a distance of about 60 meters later, job done...;)

Time to hunt...:)

Taking a slow walk around the farm pickings where slim, 13:30 & very cold the bunnies where resting below ground, then one bolted from some brush very close, ideal for 12g not good for .22 rifle with scope, bide my time & take a safe shot...

10 mins later along a hedge, there she was about 60 yards, she see me as I raised the rifle, she hopped once or twice then stopped to look, a standing shot, strong cross wind, click & thud, she went bonkers, I started to dout the shot, reloaded & took another, click thud, she was done.

The first shot wad heart & lung due to the windage, the second, who knows, she was moving around a fair bit.

After that just to see what I could do at 100 yards, I took 5 shots at an offcut of the tree stump, I did ok, about 4_5 inch group, strong cross wind, not bad for my first .22 shooting in 20 years.

On returning home & skinni.g the bunny, it was a clean shot after all, perfect lung shot through the sholder, the second bit higher & an inch back, no wonder she had blood from the mouth bless her, still, she is respected & in the pot...:)

Pictures to come when I sort this bloomin phone app...

hows it going our kid, hope all is well mate, glad you had a good day brother.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
mypuvu2a.jpg

The brew kit & rifle packed ready to work.

ypy8e4ur.jpg

this is the target i used at about 100 yards, i was in the prone, but it was very windy today though

ane9e8ej.jpg

you can just see the target about 3/4 of the way in from the right hand side of the barns first section, in between the red plow and the light green silage bale.

8y2eba8y.jpg

well, 5 rounds group around 100 yards, i shifted slightly hence the 2 groups, the 5th round just dropped under the base of the wood, you can just see it

9y7a3aqa.jpg

well the proof is in the pudding so to speak...;)

not bad for the first .22 shot in 20 years...:)

mental note to self, "have a little more faith in ones self".

regards to all.

chris.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
50 rounds to set your zero? with civvy ammo! :AR15firin ha ha
welcome home brother.

sounds allot that, but it was about 1,5 foot off to start with, and i zeroed at 3 ranges, 25 yards 40 yards and 60 yards, its allot different from shooting 5.56 which is flat the first 100 meters, when i get the .243 should be a bit better...;)

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
sounds allot that, but it was about 1,5 foot off to start with, and i zeroed at 3 ranges, 25 yards 40 yards and 60 yards, its allot different from shooting 5.56 which is flat the first 100 meters, when i get the .243 should be a bit better...;)

Only said in jest mate. just seen your pics, nice bit of kit, I also have a moderated .22 CZ, as a pest controller it,s the one rifle I know I,ll be Keeping

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have to say this rifle is very good, accurate too, even with subs at 100 yards, so im impressed to be honest, and first .22 shooting since i was a lad and that was only at 25 meters. will be doing quite a bit of this i think, might also get some HP or VHP to see what they are like in comparison to the subs and hollow points at some distance, say 100 yards again in comparison...

whats your thoughts on HP / supper sonic rounds sycamore.

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Hi Lannyman,
I tend to stick to sub-sonics for everything (winchester, being my choice), if you start using hi-velocity rounds
you will make your moderator much less effective due to the sonic crack. I find that the rifle /round is
quite flat shooting out to 100yds, I zero at 75yds and then leave the elevation well alone (we are all prone
to fiddling!). As I say this has worked well for me over the years and is more than effective for bunny bashing.
I also remember that when getting a new set-up, you want to try all combinations!!
Have fun with it, If I can give you any pointers just ask.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Nice day out, zeroing is never easy. I have a zeroing target I can email if anyone wants it - set it at 100m and the squares represent one click.

As you said Chris, not bad for the first time, you will get better as the barrel wears in and you get used to it.

I got a really big fox last night at 100 yards, just as he was heading to the lambing shed, farmer reckons he has had about six already recently, so the 6.5 through the head should save a few quid.

Out again today to see if I can put venison in the freezer but this wind makes shooting tough - and your group pretty impressive from that range. I have a pair of .22 I leave the CZ zeroed at 70 yards and the semi at 50, then the kind of rabbit ground determines the choice of rifle. Enjoy it.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Do watch the .22's potential for ricochet - I've often been surprised how easy it does it compared to bigger calibres, and feel most comfortable with plenty of soft ground behind. A glancing shot can bounce off even quite soft ground.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Elen - my mum managed a .22 rimfire with a broken shoulder and arthritic fingers well into here seventies. Funny to see her get her varifocals into the right place on a cope sight. I bet you could cope!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Just caught up with this - wish I was young, had good shoulders and fingers, and could see straight !!! Ta lady - yummy bunny ??? What have you kept and how are you cooking her? Have tried stew with prunes? I find I like that on occasion.

well she was boiled up good and propper until sort and tender, with some boiled potatoes and fresh veg, a fitting passing i think...;)

when i move Elen i will do my best to keep you supplied...lol...:):):):) you can even have a go with the .22 if you feel up to it....

Elen Sentier

well she was boiled up good and propper until sort and tender, with some boiled potatoes and fresh veg, a fitting passing i think...;)

when i move Elen i will do my best to keep you supplied...lol...:):):):) you can even have a go with the .22 if you feel up to it....

Now that's what I call generous ... and risky! Both for your gun and my shoulders :D. I'll see if the hands can pick it up and hold it safely (under your instruction) and we can go from there. I suppose I might hit a barn door at 20 ft ... :rolleyes:. Bunnies likely to be quite safe, although what scares me most in injuring them.

Paul (hubby) might like to have a go, he used to have a marxman's cert with a gattling gun from Bisley in the previous century !!! Truly! And he really did used to be able to shoot :)

Update: I have been informed that I got that wrong !!! Himself has an Army marksman's cert in small bore, a marksmans's cert in 303 and a marksmans's cert from the RAF in the use of a Bren gun. I was then given the whole history of the Bren gun and Brno and Enfield, hence Bren, etc, etc, etc ... I am now going to bed !!! :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Elen - my mum managed a .22 rimfire with a broken shoulder and arthritic fingers well into here seventies. Funny to see her get her varifocals into the right place on a cope sight. I bet you could cope!

Well, Red, it looks like I'm going to give it a shot (!) under Chris's instruction. I have lousy grip as well as painful wrists and hands, and can drop a cup I'm holding in both hands for a passtime, so I'll only be holding the rifle when standing on soft grass !!! The right shoulder is a titanium replacement but the left is still me own. Have osteoporosis though - just lost the outside metatarsal in my left foot as it had crumbled away !!! - so knocking the shoulders about is a wee bit scary. I don't have varifocals though so that's one thing not to worry about :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, Red, it looks like I'm going to give it a shot (!) under Chris's instruction. I have lousy grip as well as painful wrists and hands, and can drop a cup I'm holding in both hands for a passtime, so I'll only be holding the rifle when standing on soft grass !!! The right shoulder is a titanium replacement but the left is still me own. Have osteoporosis though - just lost the outside metatarsal in my left foot as it had crumbled away !!! - so knocking the shoulders about is a wee bit scary. I don't have varifocals though so that's one thing not to worry about :lmao:

There really isn't any recoil with a 22 rimfire Elen so you won't be "knocking the shoulders about." And a proper scope does wonders for those of us with older eyes. The pain gripping may or may not be there but I suspect between your Rx NSAIDs and the adreneline, it will be negligble. Enjoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE