New Ray Mears.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
That's right and it's a source of regular frustration for me.

I assume that the thinking goes something like "well, they don't pay taxes to support us overseas so they can't use iplayer..." But that strikes me a slender excuse.

David, do you know if there is other reasoning behind this ban?

Do you VPN into the office from home?
If yes VPN via a UK / European hub and guess what... ;)
I use this when I want to watch something in the US :)

If you are going to ask what VPN is then you probably do not VPN :rolleyes:

Tom

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I know bbc stuff isnt broadcast worldwide, even the news clips dont go outside which I was told it was a server license issue type of thing. iplayer is a terrible bit of software good for not much other than ruining your bandwidth as its a filesharing program, I downloaded eastenders for lil brothers girlfriend and even though I downloaded 350mb I uploaded 4.5gb. soon uninstalled it and ill stick to torrents or watching it live

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland

Tom

absolutely or a ssh tunnel to a box over here, this is where a UK based hosting co's with shell account access is handy, suppose it would be easy US end to tunnel into a hosted UK box if you would pay for enough bandwidth and the speeds were high enough. (its also a reason why the liscence fee isnt quite so bitter for some of the time too :)

Tom

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm 2/3rds through reading the new book that goes with the series and its very different from previous stuff. This is much more a historical record that goes with the journey rather than a 'how to..' book. Makes great reading and I recommend it. £20 on the Ray Mears website, £12 on Amazon! You don't get the signature on Amazon!:D

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco

Tom

Yeah, I run VPNs from both my home and office to my colocation facility here in SF (I'm in tech...). However, I don't have a host in the UK within whom I can establish a VPN connection.

But, I've got some friends who run companies in London, so perhaps I can convince them to let me connect to their VPNs for this purpose... I'll shoot off some emails...

I hadn't thought of doing it via VPN, thanks for the idea!

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Release date for the DVD has been put back till December, got an email from Amazon UK

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"Ray Mears Northern Wilderness [DVD]"
Estimated arrival date: December 01 2009 - December 04 2009

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Sky + comes into its own once again, already set and series linked.
I get BBC I player on the PS3 too, I wonder if I could save it onto the hard drive. Thats a question for an AV forum if ever I heard one.

Mart.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Due to my 20 month old grandson feeding our Freeview + box milk:eek: I needed a new recorder and last week got one of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321928/Trail/searchtext>PVR.htm

For a penny short of a ton its bloody good, feed the TV via a DVD recorder and bobs your uncle, the programme is on hard drive and disk :)

Mart, whats the quality like on a PS3? might save me taking in a laptop in on my night shifts for those 'quiet' moments (like now, 02:59 and eleven patients all sleeping like babies :) )

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Mart - you can download from a Sky+ box (sorry I'm a little late with this info, since rik has already mentioned it!). Although I don't have Sky, a bloke came into the shop where I work part time (in Audio/TV) and wanted a DVD recorder, because Sky+ has a 'record to external' facility, presumably via a scart. He bought one of these -

http://www.johnlewis.com/230653020/Product.aspx

Since he hasn't been back, I assume it worked OK! You can do the same with most PVR's (which is basically what Sky+ is), although if its the Humax Freesat PVR, the output would have to be via USB. For more info, have a look at something like AV or Sky forum - there must a fair number of people who have done the same thing.

Of course, if you want Ray in glorious HD forever, try the Panasonic Freesat hard drive with recordable Bluray http://www.johnlewis.com/230641449/Product.aspx . Record the programme in HD, then, subject to DRM, you can burn it to a Blu-Ray disc and its yours forever.

At £899, its possibly just worth waiting for the box set and buying lots of actual bushcrafting kit instead:) !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE