New life for my old Opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I had an old Opinel #8 that needed to be taken apart and cleaned badly.....while it was apart I thought I would re-handle it with a piece of antler a friend of mine gave me. Once it was done I decided it would be a nice thank you for him. Here it is.....whitetail deer antler.

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
nice job!new thing but respecting blade shape,and opinel general spirit .
but i can't see what's old about this opinel!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Thanks for all the kind words!!!! It honestly turned out way better than I thought it would!! This knife was in a fairly used and neglected state when I started.....I have about an hour and a half to two hours into this fun and worthwhile project. I may be doing on up for myself!! Hard to give this away!

Injati

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2004
Schleswig-Holstein
Beautiful job, really well done. If you don't mind me asking, was it a lot of work? I notice you mention it took less than 2hrs to do, that incredible.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Not much work at all.....probably more time in polishing the antler than the actual making of the handle. I cut the slot with my bandsaw for the first open bit where the collar fits then proceeded up the handle with a dremel tool and fiber cutoff disc. A few test fits and it was ready to go together. The holes were done on my drill press and the area under the collar was reduced on a belt sander. Give it a go....not that tough and very satisfying!! Thanks again for all the comments!!! this has been a great forum to be part of and has inspired me to make much more than just this humble little Opinel!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE