New Land Rover Defender

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
That is truly gross. At least after they've replaced the current Defender with this embarrassing Action Man play vehicle, all of ours will go up in value.
I think the writing was on the wall when I went into a LR main dealer a few years ago looking for a Defender, and the salesman tried to switch sell me to a Freelander. If ever a company squandered its brand heritage it's this one.

Buy one now while you can still get the real thing!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looks like Wall-E mated with a Disco III...

The old Defender, whilst easy to fix, kept needing fixing. I've seen a lot of mock ups in LRO magazine but this one looks awful. Not going to appeal to anyone who wants/needs a utility vehicle. I'm surprised at Tata, thought they'd inject some basic engineering into it

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Some of the other mock-ups are not as bad as the above. I could, for example, almost get used to this one…Probably too pedestrian unfriendly however...

2012-land-rover-defender-price-1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just saw this on the BBC News and thought it might interest some people here. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14726189

Land Rover confirms new version of its Defender model
Land Rover DC100 concept car The new version of the Defender will be based on the DC100 concept vehicle

Land Rover will release an all-new version of its Defender model in 2015, it has confirmed.

Few more pictures of it here:
http://motoren.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/land-rover-dc1000-the-new-defender-for-2015/

LandRover-Defender-268111123922951600x1060.jpg
That is plain UGLY!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Its only a concept car, I bet the one finally launched looks nothing like that!

Agreed, and to be honest I think everyone's missing the point. Remember the Land Rover Defender is designed to be as good an off road vehicle you can get, which it is. We grew to love the looks of the old one not because it was particularly good looking but because it became a symbol of rugged, simple and effective engineering. All that matters about a defender is how it performs off road, if it does the job, however radical it looks, you'll probably get used to it.

And that comes from a man who believes he will be picked up from the pearly gates in a Defender. Long live the Land Rover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
nope, no point being missed here dude, It isnt simple the usability, the "Look" hasn't really changed since its very first incarnation, it slightly modernised but not much else, the look IS as important as it abilty,

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
if I can walk all over it and screw things to it and use the bumper to climb on the bonnet and buy a wing mirror for £12 then I don't really care how it looks.

I might miss the water poring on my leg and foot even....but I might not :D

When we got this last defender it was because there was nothing else that could take 7 of us, the dog and our kit, the closest I got was the landcruiser. To be fair though the defender has been moving away from usable for us for a while, dropping from 11/12 seats to 9 and then to 7, my kids have friends :D so if we get priced out of the market for the 200/300tdi's i'll be binning defenders.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not too bothered that it looks like a big mini but for me I want things to be reliable and easy to repair.
Personally I would rather have a normally aspirated 2.5 litre direct injection Diesel (smilie face) Transit van engine in a landy instead of some poxy (but efficient) common rail thing that's got any form of engine management system in it.
Oh and I want a mechanical Bosch fuel pump that can handle fuels that's not always perfect and a cast iron engine, NOT a warptastic aluminium engine like the POS Lanrdrover TD5s have*
Obviously with that engine I'm not too bothered about top speed either.

Actually, sod it... I'd far rather have a Transit County 4 wheel drive van than anything Landrover has ever produced.

*I wouldn't have a TD5 given as I have a mate with one and I could forgive the fact that it takes up a huge amount of space whilst providing very little internal space if it was even close to being reliable, it isn't though. Its a nail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE