New Land Rover Defender

Just saw this on the BBC News and thought it might interest some people here. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14726189

Land Rover confirms new version of its Defender model
Land Rover DC100 concept car The new version of the Defender will be based on the DC100 concept vehicle

Land Rover will release an all-new version of its Defender model in 2015, it has confirmed.

Few more pictures of it here:
http://motoren.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/land-rover-dc1000-the-new-defender-for-2015/

LandRover-Defender-268111123922951600x1060.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Dear god I hope they don't, I think though with them dwindling off the military contracts they will move to more civvie friendly outward styling, but that looks horrid!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It's not just the loss of military contracts, its more stringent regulations for pedestrian impact etc.
What I'd like to see is a shortened discovery, ie. lose the regular rear seats, but keep the 2 fold out ones which are really rather good, and make it a 3 door.

Dave

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
it doesnt look like you would be able to bolt on and off feature on this defender which will be a downfall, one of the best things of the older landrovers is its versatility is being able to take the roof off in a few mins with a spanner.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
to me if the yeti was a little longer in the boot it would be perfect for us, I like a high seat view point, 4 wheel drive, good space in side, economy and comfort, which is why i currently drive a wrangler of course!!

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i'll be sad to see the defender go that way, I've got mine sitting outside and i was just thinking of making a seat to go on the front bumper and tearing out the back carpet to put rubber down and change the rack slightly to hang a tarp. I can bolt things on, take things off, get cheap parts, walk all over it (and that's one of the best things) and not worry about knocking it. That new one looks like I'd never buy one, it doesn't fit any of the things I like about my defender.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i'll be sad to see the defender go that way, I've got mine sitting outside and i was just thinking of making a seat to go on the front bumper and tearing out the back carpet to put rubber down and change the rack slightly to hang a tarp. I can bolt things on, take things off, get cheap parts, walk all over it (and that's one of the best things) and not worry about knocking it. That new one looks like I'd never buy one, it doesn't fit any of the things I like about my defender.

Well it may push up the prices of "old" defenders as they become more sought after. It's not a practical vehicle for me but I would love an old style defender for all the reasons you've listed.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I just thought I'd add that I don't care about the shape, just the materials etc. Catch a rock on that bumper and money down the drain, I pushed a tree over with my defender a few weeks ago knowing all's good and at the most I'd get the spray can out.

If it ends up being as physically tough all's good, can't see it though.

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Second hand defenders currently have pretty good value according to my research, this is only going to make their price rise as I can't see your local farmer buying one of these as a run about. I don't understand what LR think they are doing here, they surely have *that* side of the market covered with the Discovery, Range Rover (and sport) and Freelander.

Worldwide people need the defender as a rugged, simple system that can be beaten up, abused and repaired with some bodging knowledge. It's easy upgradeable and an offroad workhorse for everything from the aforementioned Farmer through Relief Workers in stricken areas to expensive Expeditions all around the world!

If they can get those qualities into this vehicle I'd be happy but it seems from the pictures to be far too modernised, too plastic and too regular.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE