new knife?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I use the mora clipper a fair bit but....Jeaz its ugly soooo was thinking about having a go at a buying a blade and scales and putting it together my self.
http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=12135
Combined with these?
http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=12316
I at the moment cannot justify much more money(handmade) and really like the look of the blade and fancy light scales......I know its not exactly knife making but I would like to make small steps for now.....seems good prices not sure about p&p?
Ta Dave

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Tommy
I cant see a blade linked there but masur birch is very nice.

Many (probably most) people buy a bade and handle materials to make a knife I have made two like that for the same reason as you l will make more that way as well.

Have a good read of the tutorials on here and on British Blades and take your time do not rush. Rushing things was my biggest mistake on my first knife.

Go for it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've used the good stuff shop on several occasions with excellent service. I think the owners name is Per? He's a member of British Blades and a very decent chap. Postage wasn't much as I recall. Shoot them an email for a quote.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Aye give it a blast matey you may just get addicted like a lot of us poor souls :puppy_dog

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry you cant see it dunno why but its the Click to enlarge picture - Ladybird = 32 x 22 mm
Click to enlarge picture - Ladybird = 32 x 22 mm 115 mm FROST "Lapplander" - Mora fulltang knifeblade with brass ferrules and rivits - stainless steel

Description:
meassure: 115 x 25 x 3,0 mm - total: 220 mm
weight: 101 gram

FROST - Mora fulltang knifeblade with brass ferrules and rivits

stainless steel I just like the look of it really I know people will :rolleyes:
bout £30 I think delivered D
115mm or 90mm?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
They are good little blades mate, the steel is good, Per is a great guy to deal with. Go for it!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I'm gonna have a go just want to make sure I dont need anything else from them.
Liners?
I am reading up on the subject (incl BB )I take it liners are useful on particular types of wood as well as helping to stop water ingress?
Just cant decide totally on scales ...love the birch but the love cherry as well as some of the more expensive woods (olive)
Any scales better/worse to work with for a virgin?
Ta for your support Dave

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Yes i would say walnut is a good wood for a begginer. Have you Pin material and some epoxy resin?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rivets incl ( I think) epoxy I can get local if arraldite type epoxy ok? (slow?)
Still reading up on the subject so please bare with me on this...still cant decide on scales so I haven't ordered yet!:rolleyes:
Trawling through pics of knives and scales on BB and encyclopedia etc its a hard life looking at so many knives:D
Muchos G Dave

U

unused[nl]

just a side question but: do those full tangs come home sharpened etc? or do you need to sharpen them yourself?

M

mikehill

PM your addy and you can have some Masur FOC ;) As regards liners, it does allow for some gaps/imperfections in fitting. Araldite Precision is fine :)
Mike.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I bought a lapplander 90 from them and they sent me some liners as well. Everything I needed except for the wood and epoxy for about £16 including postage.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
They are cracking blades and come VERY sharp, remember to cover the balde in tape before you start to work it.

Just drill a 4mm hole for the barss bar and file smooth, don't try to pein the rivet. I did that a few times a split lods of handles. the epoxy and bar will hold it well enough.

A lot of wood is high in tannin - it varies obviously, but with Oak in aprticular it's very high and will corrode the blade after a while if you don't use spacers.

Last pointer, get the front of the handle right before you do anything else, it's a nightmare getting it right when you've glued it on.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great info guys many thanks Mike Pm sent. Gonna order this evening I think the 115mm....liners fancy them but what thickness? Sorry to be asking so many questions especially as you guys have prob covered this a ton of times for newbies!!!:eek:
Think I have got in my head the process just need to put it into practice!!!
Dave

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I did one of those a couple of years ago...the first one on the learning curve ! Have a look at Rapidboy's tutorials on BB and on here somewhere. Give me a shout if you get stuck as you're not a million miles away....

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I've read Rapid boys thread but some time ago....I am going to have a look now. Thanks for that Falcon not far from you so if it goes pear shaped I will bare you in mind.
Dave

Jun 25, 2007
scotland
what kind of wood did you end up going for for the scales? personally l love olive wood for handles but have never worked it myself, l have used local birch wood l cut and seasoned myself which turned out very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE