new knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 29, 2014
preston, UK
Hi all,
This is my first post and where better to start than with a knife. I am after buying a knife for general purpose camp\outdoors tasks. I don't really need a dedicated bushcraft knife, just something for odd tasks. Can anybody offer any advice please. I don't want a more btw. I know they have a good rep but I want something full tang and a bit more special than a mora. I've been looking at the esee 4 (uncoated), mostly due to the warranty. But I am open to suggestions. I want a knife that can do most things - a jack of all trades type knife. My max spend is around £200. Thanks...

Nov 5, 2014
Cheshire
I swear by the Hultafors craft mans knife....around a tenner depending on where you get it from. I have one for work and one for use over in my wood......one of the best tools I have ever had and good for everything.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Winchester_Gerber_10__Ranger_Hunting_Knife.html

May not be as fancy as some of the other options, but as a utility blade you really can't beat these. I've had one years picked up for £7 off a market at the time and it's never flackered. Gets used every week to breast off pigeons and every trip out as my general purpose knife.
By all means buy yourself an expensive knife with Damascus blades and antler handles like I have in the past. But you won't go far wrong with that

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I want a knife that can do most things - a jack of all trades type knife.

There's no such knife imo. A good solution is two knifes; a small and a bigger one. Here's my "bigger one", a Helle Temagami.

helle_temagami.jpg

PS) It's a semi-full tang, but if you check it out it's full enough.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mine was forged by the breath of dragon fire deep in the mountains of wales under the watchful eyes of druids, quenched in the blood of the last griffon, and spells were placed upon it so he who wields the blade shall live a long and fruitful life, and perform many great deeds, before he becomes king of all he surveys.

*Fingers crossed not guaranteed.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
It's the skill of the user that determines whether the tool can do most things, as Vestlenning said there is no all round knife. Having said that a big knife can do all the jobs of a small knife and the jobs of a big knife, generally a small knife will always be limited. So I'd probably pick the Esee 6 over the four, but I'd pick my tomahawk, mora and Laplander over the Esee 6, as it would massively increase my capabilities in the woods and would cost not much over £100.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im withdrawing my offer to sell. I like it too much. They're all good knives, and you'll probably end up going through a few before you realise what your own tastes are, so buy something that will hold some of its resale value.
If it was me looking, I'd take Rud's Nuk bushcrafter, as it looks to my eyeto be very similiar to a skookum, but thats just me.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Would it not be possible to cover such entrapments (if that's what this was) by the stated policy of the site that no knives will be bought, sold or otherwise traded by anybody under 18, whether or not this is expressly
stated in any individual post, at least in the initial negotiations?

Apr 29, 2014
preston, UK
Well...thanks for advice but after one post and a spell in hospital i returned to accusations of entrapments (whatever) that might mean so apart from deciding to buy an esee 4 I also decided I wouldn't bother communicating with certain people who seem to think I need to make posts as often as they would like and in a clique tone I find childish. But to the others who did not fall into that category I thank you for your advice and wish you well. However life is too short

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Glad you got what you wanted.

It's not a criticism but your comment about knife warranty did prompt me to reflect that although I have more knives than a man could ever need I've never once imagined one failing.

Cheers

K

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well...thanks for advice but after one post and a spell in hospital i returned to accusations of entrapments (whatever) that might mean so apart from deciding to buy an esee 4 I also decided I wouldn't bother communicating with certain people who seem to think I need to make posts as often as they would like and in a clique tone I find childish. But to the others who did not fall into that category I thank you for your advice and wish you well. However life is too short

What did you buy?
If I was not so goddamn late, I would recommend you one of the classic Mora knives, the model with the wooden handle. Called Mora Forest Exclusive.
It seems to be a really nice knife, I will have a look on it as soon as I arrive in Norway on Saturday!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Professional makers were slightly concerned about the possibility that a journalist might try to trick them into selling without checking age - makes nice daily-mail-type headlines "Lethal knives made to order" or sumsuch.
It's their living, they need to be careful.

The thing about numbers of posts was just to do with how the forum is configured. You can't send or received private messages until you've made over a certain number of posts. No reflection on you, nothing about a clique.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE