New knife with a mountainman/scandinavian style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
For most of my knives, I make my own blades, but on this knife I used a 80mm Polar whittler blade from Brisa. I had a piece of antler that was a bit short so I made use of it along with some leather discs and some brass to make a useful handle of 4" length. The leather I used was a particularly stiff piece and ideal for making the handle. The leather discs have been epoxied together and compressed between the antler portion and the brass disc.

The shape of the handle was entirely dictated by the piece of antler.

Once hardened and shaped, I hot dipped into some liquid beeswax to saturate the leather. Now it's solid, waterproof and smooth. I am going to make a brass plate to finish of the coronet and aftewr that a sheath to protect me from the sharp blade!

Enjoy!

DSCF5480.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

DSCF5481.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
aaaah i shall covet that knife for the rest of my days. real beauty that is great job

Ditto to what Hamish said, that's a beauty that's for sure. Will there be an equally impressive sheath for this? No pressure, like, but you've raised the bar pretty high with that superb piece of art already, the sheath will have to do it justice too.

Well done!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you gentlemen.

Very nice - how did you secure the tang in the antler - did you just push it into the marrow? Or drill a hole for it?

I drilled a hole for it, then filled it with epoxy, the tang is set in that.

Ditto to what Hamish said, that's a beauty that's for sure. Will there be an equally impressive sheath for this? No pressure, like, but you've raised the bar pretty high with that superb piece of art already, the sheath will have to do it justice too.

Yes, I am working on the idea of the sheath at the moment....but it will be a nice one...when I get around to it! (I am finishing a folder at the moment) I also need to put a ring (or something) and a brass plate on the end of the handle, to finish it off nicely.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, it didn't take me as long as I feared!

Here are the finished knife, firesteel & sheath.

DSCF5493.jpg

DSCF5496.jpg

DSCF5497.jpg

The sheath is a bit of an "experiment". I haven't seen one with the firesteel in front of the blade and the knife at an angle like that. I like the firesteel where it is, it works well practically. Aesthetically, I am not so keen on the twisted leather loop, although it's perfectly strong enough & works well, and I think the brass loop is a bit of an overkill on this particular knife but generally, I am pleased with the overall result.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Oh man, just stop it!
It's bad enough that you make a work of art knife, but you have to go and finish it off with one of the best knife / sheath combos that I've ever seen.
Seriously good work, well done.
Now what did I do with that reindeer crown...? I feel a Brisa order coming on.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
[h=2][/h]
Oh man, just stop it!
It's bad enough that you make a work of art knife, but you have to go and finish it off with one of the best knife / sheath combos that I've ever seen.

Hehe...wait till you see my next one....folder, stainless and brass handle....fileworked blade...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE