New Issue Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Looks good, almost reminded me of the old 58 bag.

What does worry me looking at the new bag is; done up tight against the cold you'd be snug, but a stuck zip would be a nightmare.

Being 5' 5" (that was tall in the 80's) and being issued a large 58 I had plenty of room to wriggle - this was my undoing.

One night on exercise I awoke face down in the bag, disorientated I rolled over and with a stuck zip on the bag (now behind me)... it took five lads to hold me down and cut me out of it - not that I was panicking or anything...

Liam

One trick i learnt was to use an old candle to wax the zip to stop it sticking,

I can just see someone having to asked to be cut out their own sleeping bag, I bet they didn't say a word :rolleyes: ....much LOL

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
It's a nice comfortable bag, I bought one last year as i wanted a centre zip bag. I found it very warm. I agree with the comments about the zip and have found it quite sticky when fully zipped up ,however most of the time i've used it i havent had it fully zipped up. I think it has gone up quite alot since I bought mine.

MB

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I believe the Defence 4 has been on issue to a few other european armies for a few years now. There are usually quite a few on the german ebay as a result. Carinthia make cracking kit by all accounts- just tricky to get hold of in this country.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Very good bag. Spend some more and buy the polycotton liner, thus you can sleep with your boots on. Unlike the other "Defence" version (1 and 6), the Defence 4 has attachment points for the liner.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Damn- you've tempted me to buy one! Just won one on ebay- new at £79 posted- not bad at all. I'm interested in the fact that the sleeping bag fabric incorporates a breathable and waterproof membrane- i'm not aware of another sleeping bag like that. It seems to beat most of Snugpaks equivalent specs too (on everything except pack size). There are a couple on ebay still.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150756320045&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:GB:1123

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carinthia-Defence-4-Sleeping-Bag-Brand-New-/130648391075?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6350343975787111963

Jan 17, 2012
Appleby
feels a bit lighter than the old bag but dont know really.....

width wise the same not too sure, but the top looks about the same width as the old bag...

this is the new issue standard bag, my unit has just got them in, but only a small number, i was lucky to get one TBH, it is the new issue though so will be moving through the army with the new uniform pcp or psp which has taken over from mtp... the mtp was canned because it was going to cost too much, it was a better pattern than psp but cost more, the new shirts im not too keen on though, all verlcro, yuk...

Mate
Mtp is not canned

MTP is the lightweight stuff used in theatre whereas the gear being issued in the UK is a heavier weight material and is generally referred to as PCS (CU). MTP (or Multi-Terrain Pattern) is the pattern. PCS(CU) is the new name for the uniform (like the current/old stuff is CS95). the "heavier weight material" is a temperate kit and will be used for normal UK uniform or colder places, while the lighter weight stuff being issued currently for the sandpits will be issued where a lighter uniform is best employed. So, if you're in Norway or Helmand you'll still wear PCS(CU) in MTP and they'll look pretty much the same but the weight of fabric will differ.

Hope this clears things up

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Sleeping bags go on your 1157 now, so has to be got from the clothing store, easily replaced when the clothing store is open, thats the only problem, when is the clothing store ever open when you need it :)

lol.... when i phone up and tell them i "NEED" it right away....;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE