New ish toy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So the force that is pushing back against the head (and holding it in place) is therefore centripetal? Centrifugal force is what would make the axe fly off if the equal and opposite centripetal force wasn't there.

Quite right. Thank you. This is exactly how it was taught in university physics while I was still stuying civil engineering. There is NO SUCH THING as centrifugal force! Rather an object in motion will continue in a straight line unless acted upon by some outside force (in this case, centripital force) With circular motion, the force is ALWAYS inward.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Quite right. Thank you. This is exactly how it was taught in university physics while I was still stuying civil engineering. There is NO SUCH THING as centrifugal force! Rather an object in motion will continue in a straight line unless acted upon by some outside force (in this case, centripital force) With circular motion, the force is ALWAYS inward.

OK, thanks for the correction... That'll teach me to listen to the physics teacher sat next to me. Obviously an over simplification and I really shouldn't have wedged my oar in. It was a bad day and I was grumpy:eek: Sorry.

It does look like a lovely axe though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE