New Handle For WS Woodie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've done horrible things to and with that knife. Its been used to dress game, slice gritty rope, all manner of woodsy tasks. According to what I have done I have tarnished the silver on the bolsters, scratched and stained the blade. Nothing has ever touched the wood - its as good as new :)

I have more pictures to show what I mean if you like?

Red

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
That one Mick Spain did for me in stabilised Ivy was perfection! if durability you seek, stabilised wood is the way forward.

3709691236_a774fb061a_b.jpg

That is very nice Squidders,stabilized wood was on the list,but i read somewhere that it was a fair bit heavier than normal wood,this is why i like the WS woody it's a bit slimmer than other Woodlore clones i've had and i must admit it fits my little girly hands like a glove .The maple scales on it now are the perfect thickness and weight,but i really don't like the colour
Andrew

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I've done horrible things to and with that knife. Its been used to dress game, slice gritty rope, all manner of woodsy tasks. According to what I have done I have tarnished the silver on the bolsters, scratched and stained the blade. Nothing has ever touched the wood - its as good as new :)

I have more pictures to show what I mean if you like?

Red

Thanks for the offer of more pictures of the PFK Red,but if they have been uploaded before i have already drooled over them:D That Mr Mitchell does make a nice knife
Thanks Andrew

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think there are some uploaded of it all stained and scarred Andrew :(

If you look at those though - you'll see the dessie looks as good as new!

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That is very nice Squidders,stabilized wood was on the list,but i read somewhere that it was a fair bit heavier than normal wood,this is why i like the WS woody it's a bit slimmer than other Woodlore clones i've had and i must admit it fits my little girly hands like a glove .The maple scales on it now are the perfect thickness and weight,but i really don't like the colour
Andrew

If weight is a concern, then micarta is about as heavy as stab wood and would change the balance and feel. I'd seriously consider carbon fibre as it is light and grippy, beautiful and bulletproof. I'm seriously considering getting my micarta woody done in it since you started this thread.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well i've had a day to think about this and i think i've decided what i want ,,
the knife is going to be used nearly everyday so i think it has to be Rapidboy's choice of black micarta with red liners.Next question which micarta
1 Paper
2Linen
3Canvas
Because i don't know the diffrence
Opinions very welcome
Andrew

If you do go the micarta route my advice would be to avoid paper as i hear it stains easily. I may be wrong but i do recall being told that linen and canvas were more suitable for an outdoor knife. I have used Ivory linen micarta on a knife i have made and while it looks nice i'm worried about discolouration. I gave it to my dad as a fathers day gift as hes not outdoorsy but will use it for things.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
If you do go the micarta route my advice would be to avoid paper as i hear it stains easily. I may be wrong but i do recall being told that linen and canvas were more suitable for an outdoor knife. I have used Ivory linen micarta on a knife i have made and while it looks nice i'm worried about discolouration. I gave it to my dad as a fathers day gift as hes not outdoorsy but will use it for things.
Cheers for that HB ,but micarta is now out,i am now down to two options either British Red's desert ironwood,having spent ages today looking at knives with di handles and i must say i really like it.
Option two is Jon D's carbon fibre ,i like this because as JD says it's bombproof and grippy'. I think if i can't make my mind up i'll start a poll and the members of BCUK can decide and then if i don't like it i can blame all of you:D
Andrew

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Desert ironwood was my first choice too as i suggested earlier. I want some for my knives :D I have a load of nice cherry i'm using at the moment from a tree i dropped at a mates house.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
HB after seeing all these knives today i'm really sorry i dismissed your suggestion so quickly.The way things are going round in my head by tomorrow it will be the flowery micarta that i think Dave Budd made:D

Actually that might be quite nice:eek:
Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Carbon fibre is a relatively new thing, and most CR that you find is fibre glass filled. It's very rare to find the fully soid stuff that went into making my knife as it is Formula One grade. The only person I know that sells it is Big Rick. As it is new and rare, a poll won't do it justice. PM Stu Mitchell and ask his advice. As a third generation knife maker, his advice will be sound. Contact him through his site as he doesn't frequent BCUK as much as BB.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andrew,

A lot will be personal taste. One thing to consider is whether you plan on much game work - if so there is some af=dvantage in carbon fibre or other synthetic as it is not permeable to fluids (good reason for a kydex of plastic sheath too)

If its for personal use there is no law against a wood or bone handle for a game knife of course (although for commercial game prep there is now)

In answer to your question on durability, the desert ironwood is very tough

This is the PFK after a long trip - the ironwood just shrugs it all off though

2970342718_98bb3c058b.jpg

I love the sould of natural materials and I like the way they feel in my hand - but for practical reasons I can see how carbon fibre would work well

A lot of it comes down to "what do you prefer"?

Red

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Andrew,

A lot will be personal taste. One thing to consider is whether you plan on much game work - if so there is some af=dvantage in carbon fibre or other synthetic as it is not permeable to fluids (good reason for a kydex of plastic sheath too)

If its for personal use there is no law against a wood or bone handle for a game knife of course (although for commercial game prep there is now)

In answer to your question on durability, the desert ironwood is very tough

This is the PFK after a long trip - the ironwood just shrugs it all off though

2970342718_98bb3c058b.jpg

I love the sould of natural materials and I like the way they feel in my hand - but for practical reasons I can see how carbon fibre would work well

A lot of it comes down to "what do you prefer"?

Red
Thanks for the picture BR the desert ironwood does look good ,even after the workout the PFK looks like it's had.Istill haven't made my mind up,but at the moment i'm thinking of DI for the WS and buy a blade blank and have that handled in carbon fibre when i have the money.Sorry it's taken me so long to reply,but work and my lad's had chicken pox so i haven't had much time.When i get the knife done i will post pictures,well i'll try,and i'd like to thank everyone for there input
Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE