New Handle For WS Woodie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I got a ws woodie in a trade,it's the model with the maple handle.I really like the knife and the handle is in great condition,but i'm stuck in the house all day and started to think about a new handle.What i'd like to know is if you could have any handle on a WS woodie
would it be.
I know this has been covered in various threads before ,but i'm bored :D
Looking forward to hearing your opinions
Andrew

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I replaced the scales on a black micarta version with curly birch years ago.
http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=68

I always fancied adding some red liners to my black micarta version so rather than mess with that knife I have just finished making a blade thats a copy of my micarta knife and im thinking of doing that with black micarta over a red liner.

I had considered desert ironwood as i have a nice set of scales here but they also work with another blade im working on - DI always looks well.

Nice piece of samber would be nice if you can find a suitable piece.

Make sure you put some pics up of the finished job :)

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I replaced the scales on a black micarta version with curly birch years ago.
http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=68

I always fancied adding some red liners to my black micarta version so rather than mess with that knife I have just finished making a blade thats a copy of my micarta knife and im thinking of doing that with black micarta over a red liner.

I had considered desert ironwood as i have a nice set of scales here but they also work with another blade im working on - DI always looks well.

Nice piece of samber would be nice if you can find a suitable piece.

Make sure you put some pics up of the finished job :)

It was your thread that got me thinking about this RB, i have seen one re- handled in samber ,but i can't for the life of me remember where i saw it,but it did look good:D
Andrew

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I remember seeing a pic of one a few years ago that had been done with lignum vitae, i think that one ended up on ebay.
My curly birch knife ended up in Finland IIRC

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I remember seeing a pic of one a few years ago that had been done with lignum vitae, i think that one ended up on ebay.
My curly birch knife ended up in Finland IIRC

I really liked your curly birch model, i think the samber one is in the slideshow on Mick Spain's website goint to have a look now
Andrew

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Have you used samber before ?

No,but i've heard it stinks when you work it,when i come to a decision about which handle i'd like, i think i'll ask someone else to do it for me. I don't think i'd get too far with my collection of tools:D
Andrew

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Buckeye burl, pref stabilized. Lovely heavy wood with a stunning array of swirls and stripes.

Graham

I do like this wood,i like the idea of stabilized wood,but for me the only downside is the extra weight i might be wrong,but stabilized wood weighs a bit more than normal wood
Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Has to be antler...

DSC03768-1.jpg

DSC03771.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE