New Handle For WS Woodie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Rub it in Jonathan D :D i would really like antler handle,but apparently it is quite hard to find a decent piece of antler that is dense enough to be used for a handle.After seeing yor new bushcrafter i quite fancied a CF handle
Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sorry dude, but you should have known that I'd post a pic, can't help myself. Yeah carbon fibre would be superb, Bug Rick is selling slabs on BB as we speak. It is top quality stuff too...

DSC03825.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

.. and another shameless excuse for a piccy :D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
No,but i've heard it stinks when you work it,when i come to a decision about which handle i'd like, i think i'll ask someone else to do it for me. I don't think i'd get too far with my collection of tools:D
Andrew

I have only used it a couple of times before, it stinks a bit when your working it but it's a really beautiful material.

One thing i noticed is that it can be a little unstable.
The stag shrunk back from the brass a little on this knife i made
DSC02081.jpg

I made this little knife at the same time and it has hardly moved at all so it may well vary from piece to piece.
DSC02070.jpg

It seemed to happen fairly quickly after the knives had been finished and it seems to have settled now so i will sort them out now and hopefully that's them done.
For me a little movement with natural materials is fine, it doesn't bother me especially on a stick tang knife but on a full tang it is more noticeable.
I have had it happen on a custom knife as well, again it settled down after a while and remained stable.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
As I am going through a dilemma of handle material I will choose for my knife project I decided to chime in here.

This is what I would consider doing...if you have tools to do it.
In light to dark contrasting tones, woodland to harsh use
Drill in two holes for SS bolsters
Use a sambar stag with white tops and the darker the bottom the better,
Drill two more pin holes at the bottom and fit in buffalo horn pommels.
You would have to pick the stag in person though to make sure the grooves in the stag didn't overlap the horn pommel

For jungle use, try a more natural Bamboo for the main but use steel bolsters top and bottom.

For something darker...A little more tricky...
How about a masaker (spelling) ebony, it's a lightly patterned ebony.
To couple with it I would add some light simple file work on the spine, a simple set of mosaic pins and hollow rivet, or simple pins and hollow mosaic lanyard hole...

How does that sound?

I reckon I could come up with a few more if I knew more about how you used the blade.
Camo style too you might get away with in a spalted maple burl. with ss pins...

Anyway, theres a few ideas for you.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Sorry dude, but you should have known that I'd post a pic, can't help myself. Yeah carbon fibre would be superb, Bug Rick is selling slabs on BB as we speak. It is top quality stuff too...

DSC03825.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

.. and another shameless excuse for a piccy :D

I really like your Deval bushcrafter,i've been watching it's evoution over the last few years ,How many versions do you have now ,have you found the perfect knfe
Andrew

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Rub it in Jonathan D :D i would really like antler handle,but apparently it is quite hard to find a decent piece of antler that is dense enough to be used for a handle.After seeing yor new bushcrafter i quite fancied a CF handle
Andrew
All horn/antler stinks when working it.:yuck:

I would suggest Giraffe bone (not used it) but if you want antler I would Reindeer would probably be good Fairly solid in teh middle) but Sambar Stag seems to popular (not used it)

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
::
All horn/antler stinks when working it.:yuck:

I would suggest Giraffe bone (not used it) but if you want antler I would Reindeer would probably be good Fairly solid in teh middle) but Sambar Stag seems to popular (not used it)

I do like giraffe bone,and considered stabilized giraffe bone until i saw the price :eek:
Andrew

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
As I am going through a dilemma of handle material I will choose for my knife project I decided to chime in here.

This is what I would consider doing...if you have tools to do it.
In light to dark contrasting tones, woodland to harsh use
Drill in two holes for SS bolsters
Use a sambar stag with white tops and the darker the bottom the better,
Drill two more pin holes at the bottom and fit in buffalo horn pommels.
You would have to pick the stag in person though to make sure the grooves in the stag didn't overlap the horn pommel

For jungle use, try a more natural Bamboo for the main but use steel bolsters top and bottom.

For something darker...A little more tricky...
How about a masaker (spelling) ebony, it's a lightly patterned ebony.
To couple with it I would add some light simple file work on the spine, a simple set of mosaic pins and hollow rivet, or simple pins and hollow mosaic lanyard hole...

How does that sound?

I reckon I could come up with a few more if I knew more about how you used the blade.
Camo style too you might get away with in a spalted maple burl. with ss pins...

Anyway, theres a few ideas for you.

Some great ideas there,i really hope you'll put up some pictures of your knife when you finish it
Andrew

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
When it's finished the first thing I do is gather up all of my blades and take the to the field and do a full days testing of all aspects of use, for video if I can borrow one and pictures.
You will definately see it.

And thanks for the comments on my ideas.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
When it's finished the first thing I do is gather up all of my blades and take the to the field and do a full days testing of all aspects of use, for video if I can borrow one and pictures.
You will definately see it.

And thanks for the comments on my ideas.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished articles and a video would be great
Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really like your Deval bushcrafter,i've been watching it's evoution over the last few years ,How many versions do you have now ,have you found the perfect knfe
Andrew

Including the three Alan Wood made, there are seven, with one in 01 and giraffe bone on the way from Stu. The original AW's were two in black micarta with red fibre liners and RWL-34, one in green canvas micarta with red,black,red liners and RWL. Stu made two in stab curly birch with black liners and RWL, my favourite user in stab curly birch, black liners and 01, my canoeing version in carbon fibre, black and red liners and RWL. I've sent a new take on it to Stu with a different grind and swedge for non bushcrafty chores, two to be made, one a collectable and non user, the other will get used. Don't know what handle material yet, or whether to put bolsters on. Decision, decisions.

All of the AW versions I sold, as well as one of the original twins. And yes, I have after years of buying and selling and testing and designing... found my perfect knife :approve:

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Including the three Alan Wood made, there are seven, with one in 01 and giraffe bone on the way from Stu. The original AW's were two in black micarta with red fibre liners and RWL-34, one in green canvas micarta with red,black,red liners and RWL. Stu made two in stab curly birch with black liners and RWL, my favourite user in stab curly birch, black liners and 01, my canoeing version in carbon fibre, black and red liners and RWL. I've sent a new take on it to Stu with a different grind and swedge for non bushcrafty chores, two to be made, one a collectable and non user, the other will get used. Don't know what handle material yet, or whether to put bolsters on. Decision, decisions.

All of the AW versions I sold, as well as one of the original twins. And yes, I have after years of buying and selling and testing and designing... found my perfect knife :approve:
Thanks for the info Jonathan,they are great looking knives,hope you put a picture of the giraffe bone knife up.
Thanks again Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You betcha :beerchug:

Thanks for the compliment, most people don't like the look, but that wasn't a problem with me as it was perfect every other way. I used to think it was fugly, now I love it. It's like a Spyderco design... it grows on you over time and use.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Well i've had a day to think about this and i think i've decided what i want ,,
the knife is going to be used nearly everyday so i think it has to be Rapidboy's choice of black micarta with red liners.Next question which micarta
1 Paper
2Linen
3Canvas
Because i don't know the diffrence
Opinions very welcome
Andrew

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Are you sure....?

Desert Ironwood really can look good (IMO)

2997149632_665d734f51_o.jpg

Red

Thanks for that Red,it took me days to decide and now you post this:) That is a really great looking knife,how durable is desert ironwood because it was on my list.Oh well back to the drawing board:D
Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE