New Fallkniven sharpener: the DC521!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Never had no probs with them tbh, i have had more than my fair share of their knives too. Not seen their new dc4's yet though.

I can't see them being bothered about the damage done with a manual sharpening system. In a system such as this, any damage normally done is done by the user, not the tool. Its impossible for the tool to damage the knife, everything it does is what you do with it. :)

6 months? that doesn't sound right to me. I expect they will have a standard returns policy which will cover a set period...

Sure am! not only are they rude, but they told me I had to wait 6 months before I could return it to them and didn't even care they product damaged the edge of my knife!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Never had no probs with them tbh, i have had more than my fair share of their knives too. Not seen their new dc4's yet though.

I can't see them being bothered about the damage done with a manual sharpening system. In a system such as this, any damage normally done is done by the user, not the tool. Its impossible for the tool to damage the knife, everything it does is what you do with it. :)

6 months? that doesn't sound right to me. I expect they will have a standard returns policy which will cover a set period...

I spoke to them via email from their home page. They were useless, and I won't buy their products because of it! And when using their product properly, the concave nature of the stone meant getting any use from it was far from practical and borderling not fit for purpose! and the bumps in the centre of the stone meant damage to the fine edge of my knide when attempting to use the inner section. And this was a very common problem, corrected by using inferior materials in their latest dc4/breeze block!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It was woodland ways I think and no I didn't. I didn't use it for about a month aftergetting it as I was ill.

What it needs is a proper flatten/regrind. Who can do this? Someone with a linisher?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It was woodland ways I think and no I didn't. I didn't use it for about a month aftergetting it as I was ill.

What it needs is a proper flatten/regrind. Who can do this? Someone with a linisher?

I would say it is the retailers job to refund/replace. A month shouldn't matter, as long as you have the receipt and not altered the stone. I wonder if ceramic would be any just after a very rough reshape, would anyone with the industrial machinery be willing to do it to it?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
You can easily flatten the ceramic side with a cheap diamond bench stone. Mine was from Axminster tools. I did an old DC3 that was both concave and with ripples in about 10 minutes. Perfectly flat now.

Steve.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You can easily flatten the ceramic side with a cheap diamond bench stone. Mine was from Axminster tools. I did an old DC3 that was both concave and with ripples in about 10 minutes. Perfectly flat now.

Steve.

really? I have some cheap diamond stones and diamond is harder than emeralds.. I'll give it a go tomorrow and update it if it works!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
really? I have some cheap diamond stones and diamond is harder than emeralds.. I'll give it a go tomorrow and update it if it works!

WOW!

fantastic tip ateallthepies, I just completely flattened my cocked up dc4 stone with a £3 diamond stone set! and the cheapo stones still have life in them! :) I started with the coarse stone and worked down untill they cheapo's were getting worn down, with a little water to form a slurry it's now super smooth.

You can see why the older ones (before total lack of quality control) were so popular, this thing is like glass now and is even finer than my spyderco double stuff (admittedly the spydie need sa few more hours before it's true finish comes through).

overall, impressed I can finally get some moneys worth out of this stone! cheers

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Just got mine in the post from Heinnie.
Very nice box and decent size, especially thickness is good to give room for the handle and your fingers. All I need now is leather pouch to use as a strop.

But!

I'm sending mine back for a replacement.... The metal plate have a slight bump in the surface. It's not exactly flat. Looking from the side reveals the mistery:
dcsglx.jpg

kb6qzr.jpg

Not a deal breaker but for this money and brand you would expect something better. The really funny part is that it's not rocket science to glue two rectangulars together is it?

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I got the DC4 a few weeks back now and I'm pretty happy with it. No issues to speak of, I must be lucky! Not sure I'd want to take the DC521 into the bush however.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
And I'm wery happy with my DC4. Main reason why I pulled the trigger on DC521. to be honest the guy at Heinnies was shocked and said they didn't had any problems so far with the big one. But maybe that's just "customer service".

Apart from that one issue it's really beutifull. Just like DC4 it will take your blade one step from shaving sharp. Very comfortable size to use.
And yes, defitelly a home/bench sharpening stone. I would take it with me only for a stationary camp, for those "can you sharpen my knife to?" situations.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Just to give you an update as I have received a replacement.

This one is going back for a refund. Another gap (light shining through) between the two parts. This time smaller and right on the end. One of the corners is chipped.
Both elements are missaligned, top plate is twisted few degrees. Oh, and this time there is an excess of glue on one side.
Nothing deal breaking, you can still use it. Just plain sloppy.

2zfilcj.jpg

I'm sorry Heinnie but I have to work almost all day for 45 quid. This sharpener was ideal for me, perfect balance between result and no fuss, quick sharpening.

Fallkniven.
I didn't mind my S1 with asymmetrical blade - the laminate steel have slightly different thicknes on both sides of the blade. Side effect of hand grinding I assume.
But how difficult is it to glue two bits together? Can I have DIY version for 30 pounds maybe (both elements separately plus a tube of glue)?
You have just losted one faithful customer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE