New clothes for my RobEvs Bushtool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wasnt happy with my last sheath for this as I could not get on with horizontal carry. I was also bored with the usual pancake type sheath. So went old school :)

It really wasn't the right handle profile for this type of bowie sheath but with an extra welt here and there to bring the blade forward it works quite well. Certainly a nice confidence inspiring lock up and easy in and back out.

Pics are not the best but a combination of daylight without rain these days is rare.

20160104_171620_zpsbb8gbbrs.jpg

Also yet another Angst rip-off. Honestly bud I ran an image search on google for a more 120 sheath. Saw one i liked and made it. It was only when i looked closer i could see your makers mark! again! But as usual great design and really holds the knife well. If anyone wants one look up Angst :)

20151231_135636_zps7ob2oofd.jpg

Still need to make something more suitable for my spoon knife but the missus is going spare with all the leather shavings trodden into the carpet.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice looking piece of work. I just received an order i made a week back from Tandy. I have no excuse not to get on with a few projects myself! :)

Nice work - I like both. I might copy that second one more or less - probably work in a dangler somehow. I've promised a sheath for a woodlore type knife to my 17 year old Granddaughter. That kind of snap arrangement might help to keep the knife from getting lost or bunged up long enough for her to realize what it is.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Nice neat n tidy work.how do you get the dye too take so shiny n consistent .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Lovin the bottom sheath but not sure about the top Ka-Bar type. The double welt looks a bit disproportionate in comparison to the blade thickness and the strap doesn't give the impression that it secures the knife well. Looks like the knife could be pulled out without opening the fastener. Hard to tell from the pick though. Sorry about the negatives but i'm trying to keep it constructive. Is it two welts or three solid sheets and one welt behind the face sheet? Hard to tell from the one pic.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovin the bottom sheath but not sure about the top Ka-Bar type. The double welt looks a bit disproportionate in comparison to the blade thickness and the strap doesn't give the impression that it secures the knife well. Looks like the knife could be pulled out without opening the fastener. Hard to tell from the pick though. Sorry about the negatives but i'm trying to keep it constructive. Is it two welts or three solid sheets and one welt behind the face sheet? Hard to tell from the one pic.

How very dare you? :)

Happy to take any genuine criticism, after all its why we share work on here.

There are two welts in there. The one closest to the back of the sheath brings theknife closer to the front of the sheath if that makes sense? It stops the handle kinking the strap to much due to its profile.

------------ outer
-|||||||||||- welt/knife/welt
- -------- - welt and tapered shim
------------ back of sheath.

Really this isnt the right type of sheath for this handle profile but they are so much easier to sheath and un-sheath the knife as you only have to clear the blade as opposed to the whole knife.

Could do with a better picture but the strap is solid because its between the belly swell of the handle and the swell of the butt-plate. Certainly no movement when shaken around up-side down. The strap i decided to add to the back plane of the sheath rather than it being from the same piece of leather so that if somewere down the line it starts to loosen which they all do i can un-pick it and sew in another.

I definitely agree it aint "pretty" ;)

Last edited:

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Ha! Ha! It's a lot prettier than some of the ones I've made! I've done a couple that I've had to re-open and add an extra welt because they were too small for the knife and one that the knife would fall out of if turned upside down. All part of the learning curve.

How did you do your stitch holes on the bushtool sheath? That's a lot of leather to go through.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I cheat :)

I use a pillar drill and tack the welts together and drill through two or three at the same time. I once tried to drill through them all but the bit will wonder and ruin the back of the sheath.
Even then it still takes a bit of bullying to get things lined up, but it looks much better. Not that you see the back but I would know.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Really like the second (lower) sheath - nice job.

I was interested to read that you drill the holes as I'm still working on my leather efforts. ("Wonky" stitching is a mark of the artisan product, or so I try to tell myself.)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I like that top sheath very much and agree 100% with your reasoning to make it like that, I think i'll have to try that ( I don't have a pillar drill so it could be interesting :) )

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Nice work old chap. Good to see an old-school sheath sometimes.

I've had reasonable results using a dremel-type tool with 1mm bit freehand - basically cos I haven't got a pillar drill either!

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I use an old dart in my pillar drill to make stitch holes. A drill bit removes material but a dart point just makes a hole. When I do the wet forming the holes close up. The purists probably won't like it but they won't like the drill bit method either. The first few sheaths I made before I had the pillar drill I used 30mm panel pins and nailed the sheath to a board. It worked ok. At least I could see that the pins were perpendicular and evenly spaced with one another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE